Case Mod - In Progress Project: Rogue (NZXT Rogue SFF) It lives! Aug 13, '08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 28 Feb 2008.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Thank you. Once you've got the modding bug, it's a little hard to let go... :D

Hmmm, I wonder why you like the name? :hehe: It's even got a little red in it! :thumb:

2. craigbru

Well, tonight I finished painting the main part of the case. As I mentioned earlier, the flat black I originally painted the case, was a little too flat. However, I am keeping that color on the inside of the case. That means I had to mask off the interior before I could repaint the exterior. In my eagerness, I didn't get many pics of that process, but maybe it wasn't that exciting anyway. However, I do have a pic of the case primed...

[​IMG]

Now I'll jump right to a few pics of the case already painted. For the exterior, I picked up a black metal flake paint. As I took these pics, I realized how hard it is to photograph a metallic paint. The camera simply can't do it justice. I'm hoping that the effect is more visible on the sides and the front, where there happens to be more surface area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The case will be ready for hardware this weekend. In the meantime, I've got some more painting to do! :thumb:

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

sweet cant wait to check that out.

4. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

Yeah cant wait for the next update

5. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Nice paint job.

6. craigbru

Thanks guys! I'll have more paint updates tonight, along with some small case assembly. We're getting close now!

7. skullen

skullen Minimodder

very nice :thumb:

8. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

I'm really not sure it's a good idea to paint all that brushed alu. you spent all that time and all that masking tape on not scratcing it only to PAINT IT!

Dude! I vote for keeping the brushed alu look! :thumb:

9. craigbru

Yeah, I did spend a lot of time taping it off just to not scratch it... At this point, it may have been taken out of my hands... Thanks to my 3 year old niece... Lol. I had my sisters kids over here last night, and they were supposed to stay out of the basement. :nono: Not only did they not, but my niece thought aluminum made a pretty cool sound when banged together. I swear, I just went to the garage to get something out of the car for a minute! :duh: Anyway, they tray is pretty scratched up. I tried an impromptu repair, and the color matches fairly well, but you can still see the scratches. They're deep enough to need filler. I'll ponder this for a little while...

10. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Oh GAWD!! And people wonder why I'm getting a vasectomy... :D

Seriously, I really hate to hear horror stories like that involving the "Lil' Demon-Seeds". I swear I'd put a series of elaborate deadbolts on the workshop's door to curb the curiosity. Or perhaps some sentry guns, like in 'Aliens'. :hehe:

11. craigbru

Well, kid issues aside, I've got an update!

So, let's get on with a little more painting. I've got the top piece of the case all prepped and ready for paint. I used 4" bolts to allow me to paint both sides easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I painted both sides flat black, then once the paint was dry, I masked off the bottom.

[​IMG]

Here is the piece after painting and baking... Ooh, shiny...

[​IMG]

Now I've got a few miscellaneous things to take care of. Feet, this thing needs feet... I just happen to have 4 of them about to find a home on the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to get the front panel mounted. In order to do that, I need to mount a few components first. I'll start with the Matrix Orbital display.

[​IMG]

Next up is the fan controller...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I'd test fit the front panel before I went any further... It fits!

[​IMG]

Now, let's get those gauges in place...

[​IMG]

More coming soon!

Last edited: 5 Apr 2008
  12. craigbru

To say I wasn't happy, was putting it mildly. Her kids need constant supervision, while mine are great... My kids must get that from me... :D

It could have been much worse though. The only thing she really damaged was the tray. It could have been one of the side panels, the top, the radiators, etc... It's a piece that I'll have to remake if I want it brushed, but it isn't mod ruining luckily...

Last edited: 6 Apr 2008
  13. Elio

Elio What's a Dremel?

Amazing progress...!!!
    did you made the fan controller?
    Everything looks Good!

14. nikeunltd

nikeunltd Epic destruction around machinary

remote?

LOVE THIS CASE!!!
    I will be looking forward in reading more updates.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2008
  15. craigbru

Thanks! The fan controller is a Zalman unit. It just barely fits... :dremel:

Thank you! I'll be out of town the rest of the weekend, but will have more updates Monday night. Things are going to be happening very quickly now since most of the painting is done.

16. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

The paint job is really nice man, keep up the good work!

17. craigbru

Thanks man! A little later this week, I'll move the case upstairs where I have better lighting. Hopefully I an get a few shots that do the paint justice. I've also arranged for someone to take a few 'professional' type shots when the case is completed.

18. cheezeit

cheezeit What's a Dremel?

Great work, craigbru! I absolutely love this case and your ability to squeeze so much tech into such a small space. Been following this mod the whole time, and have been consistently amazed by your workmanship. :D:D

Just curious, how much was that metal brake and where did you get it from?

19. Matticus

Matticus ...

My gosh, I have been following this since the start, which I think was around the time I signed up for the forums. I must say this is easily my favourite mod, I just cant believe how much stuff you are cramming in there.

I really cannot say how much I love it, its like the exact type of case/mod I like.

20. T120ted

T120ted What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the offer. I think I found what I was looking for. I couldn't even look at the for sale section as I don't have enough posts, lol. Monday is to long away. Really looking forward to seeing the finished results. happy to see you keeping the updates coming.

Tags: