CPU normal cpu, dual core, quad core I'm lost

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ryu_ookami, 14 Nov 2008.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Ok I'm not sure if this is in the right section but bit-tech seems to have spawned so many sections that I figured some one would read it and be able to help.

I'm trying to decide if I should get a cheap (as cheap as possible) dual core systemat present I have

P4 3GHZ CPU that apparently a second core from what I've been told something about hyper-threading ? if that makes any sense

2 GB PC3200 DDR

256mb ATI Radeon 9600 / X1050 Series (at least that's what device manager says anyway)

a Asrock P4i65G motherboard.

I had planned on updating the graphics card next but some one I know has just said that updating the graphics card is pointless as the next upgrade after that would be a motherboard and that would mean that I had to get a whole new system due to the pci-e slot, newer memory etc?

So what do you think upgrade the GFX card or try and get a cheap new system

The pc is mainly used for guild wars and downloading etc but its shortly going to be used for hammering left 4 dead on a regular basis however next year (september) I start a university degree in Computer Game Design so it would need to be able to deal with that but I have been told that I'd be able to get a new pc cheaper via the university when I start so I'm kinda of dithering as to do I or don't I get a new system so basically HELP!!!!!

Last edited: 15 Nov 2008
  2. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I would recommend buying a new motherboard with a socket 775 dual/quad core and 2 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM. As for the graphics card, if your going to be playing new games I would get a new one. But as long as your current card is PCI-E you can keep using until you get a new one.

Pentiums weren't really dual cores, hyperthreading just means that the single core could process two threads at the same time. I do believe the new i7's use it as well.

I'd get a quad core for the upgrade because I think you would benefit from the multiple cores when doing game design. Although dual core's are clocked higher. It's really up to you on that front.

3. Ryu_ookami

current card is AGP

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Well, if it isn't going to be used in the near future, why update now? Save your money, and when you graduate you'll be able to get a way better system for the same cost...

5. Ryu_ookami

I don't start the degree until next September and then it lasts 4 years or thereabouts so waiting until I graduate is not an option.

6. klutch4891

7. Ryu_ookami

To be honest I was looking at something like this.

Possible choice

then adding a Pci-e GFX Card and expanding the memory especially as it holds up to 16GB's og memory only other other thing that I would need to get would be an IDE adaptor as I like my IDE drives.

/runs and hides from the flames that are due to be sent via the sata lovers.

8. 5hadow

5hadow What's a Dremel?

Are you sure you will get a discounted PC through uni? I am not sure about that (someone correct me if I am wrong). When I was at uni about 3 years back I did not hear any such thing.

Even if you do get a discounted PC, I am sure that you will be able to make a better PC yourself for the same price or similar PC for less money. My advice would be to build a completely new system or ....... :idea: just buy a XBOX for your gaming needs.

HTH.

9. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

We don't get any discounts on pc's at my uni, and I've not heard of that before either. I reckon for £500 you can end up with something perfectly reasonable. Q6600, 4Gb ram, 4850 if you can stretch to it.

RwD

10. klutch4891

That's not a bad deal but won't it be a bit underpowered for game design? Correct me if I'm wrong, because I know nothing about game design.

11. Ryu_ookami

ok my bad the discounted PC isn't from the university its from the LEA of whatever area you are in.

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

May I ask which uni? I'm still a good 2 or 3 years away before I have to make the choice but I might as well do the research now as I'm pretty sure I want to go into Games Design.

As for your computer, I'd contact the uni and ask what they offer; I'd probably buy it from them TBH.

13. Ryu_ookami

Suffolk campus its a new university in Ipswich spread over 4 or 5 campuses.

14. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

15. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

That's a shame. Canadian universities offer discounts on PC/Mac's through a student incentive program either through the University directly or they contact you with the manufacturer.

For example for me: I can go to Apple's website, select "Student" version, it'll ask for my school. I select if from a list and then enter my student number to confirm that it exists/active student. Takes it about 3-5 seconds to verify and then pushes you to a student.apple.ca page that has different prices. Usually 15-25% below what a regular Joe would pay. Refurb stuff is also a lot cheaper.

For regular PC's, we just do it through the University's book store directly. Same with software, the campus has an on-site PC store (owned by the Uni) that sells student versions of Mac/Windows software at discounted prices.

Alternatively you can also get software through the developer directly, like Adobe which uses a similar system to Apple and lets me purchase items directly at far lower prices. $99 Photoshop and whatnot.

16. slap-o-mite

slap-o-mite What's a Dremel?

best bang for buck is the Q9650 it's an overclockers dreamboat & Intel is gonna quit making then soon as they don't want to compete with the new i7's with gem of a chip .. 4ghz is easy as pie !! with a Q9650

17. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

What are you talking about? That thing costs $600 dude! That's the budget for the whole rig!

And you can get a Q9450 or a Q9550 for much cheaper and get it to high clocks aswell.

That ain't gonna get you far. That was low tech even a couple of years back. Okay maybe not, but c'mon, three generations old integrated graphics!? And they say it's a GAMING system?!?!

18. Ryu_ookami

well I'd be buying a pci-e card and 4GB of memory from ebuyer so the integrated graphics wouldn't be a problem.

19. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 £158.61
    Gainward ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB £135.11
    Abit IP35 Pro £110
    Corsair TX 650W £82.24
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB (WD6400AAKS) £50.51
    Antec Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case £41.11
    Kingston HyperX 2GB (1x2GB) £25.84
    Samsung 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter £15.26

had a bit of spare time this morning i would wait until jan for jan sales but you cant go wrong with the above couple that with a bti of shopping around for deals and you could fairly easily drop 70 - 100 quid off that ( i know that the q6600 should be ~ 20 30 quid cheaper after christmas)