Other Best Watch for £500?

Discussion in 'General' started by Major, 17 Mar 2009.

1. Major

Major Guest

Hi,

Looking on the internet for my bro who is looking to buy a watch upto £500, so what are the funky watches around that mark nowadays? The first watch that springs to mind is Police, but that's pretty much it (and the highest I have seen is not even £300.)

Remember the old watch thread and there seemed to be a lot of people who knew their stuff, would be interesting to see what kinds of watches you guys would recommend.

He runs a company, so it needs to be smart, but it also needs to have the "wow" factor, if you know what I mean...

Cheers

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I used to love the look of tag heur, but not so much these days. I really like the look of Breitling, i just don't like how thick they are, like how many expensive watches are :grr:

That's why I've got a seiko, had it for about 8 or 9 years, looks very good and is fairly thin & lightweight. Has had a couple of battery changes, and never missed a beat, so it ticks all the boxes for me.

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

+1 for Omega, but I'm not sure you'll find a new one for £500....possibly a previous generation Seamaster. But my Constellation has been going for forever. Literally forever.

If not, Seiko have always been pretty good, my dad has had several different styles for various occasions and they have all worked well. I think they make a nice titanium one which is quite subtle and slick, for a reasonable price.

4. dom_

dom_ --->

I wouldn't get a Seiko. For the money you can get much better.

Go swiss. You then atleast get an ETA movement, stainless steel case and b/let, sapphire crystal glass etc. Don't go Tag they are overpriced.

Myself i would go Tissot.

5. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

+2 for omega, try and find one in a good shop, you might be able to get a good price by shopping around.

6. RTT

RTT #parp

This is the best watch for £500:

[​IMG]

It comes with £490 cash back!

But in all seriousness, Omega. I don't have a nice watch because I can't bring myself to spend the money on such a thing. I'd rather just not have a watch at all, than have a crap one :\

boiled_elephant likes this.
  7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

^^
    tissot Cheesecake. i did fall in love with an omega railmaster with a gorgeous brown leather strap at an airport, but i didn't have £1500. gasp! i still don't.

8. mvagusta

:hehe:

Like what?

9. Fod

like a tissot. say hello to mvagusta: fashion whore.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Junghans Mega Solar. Ceramic housing, saphire glass, solar rechargeable, atom clock synchronised.

Never needs winding. Never needs adjusting. Switches to daylight saving time automatically.

11. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Victorinox makes nice solid watches that don't cost an arm and a leg. had mine almost 7 years.

12. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

The Tissot watches are UGLY though....so so fat and chunky!

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Very nice, can't seem to find one for sale though.

14. Fod

eh? have you looked at their website, or are you only looking at the models argos stocks?

15. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Translation = Bling. ;)

16. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

17. mvagusta

I've bought two tissots for the wife, one gold one silver. They're beautifull watches, but they were a much, much greater cost than my seiko. They don't get worn much since i got her dream watch, diamond la dolce vita - don't tell me that can be had for the same sort of money as a seiko! There are some tissots that i like the look of alot, but they are a little fat, just like many other expensive watches that i like. The day i see a bling watch i like which is thin, it's mine :D I'm not out actively looking though, i'm still pretty satisfied with my trusty seiko.

18. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

What exactly is he looking, or why is he looking to spend £500, apart from the business thing is there any reason for that amount?

I bought an Ollech and Wajs 3077 a few months back and its a very nice watch for just over £200. Looks the part, automatic ETA movement, sapphire crystal etc. Looks the part too, classic diver/ submariner style. Its not something to go for if you are looking to show it off as its obviously not a big name, but I appreciate the craftsmanship and exclusivity of it.

If its purely for showing off value, for £500 I would say a quartz Tag is the way to go, or an Omega if you can find one. You may be able to find a quartz Seamaster for around £500. I would go for quartz by the way. Not only are the quartz models generally cheaper and more accurate than automatics, but they require less care and attention, which sounds like it may be beneficial here.

PS Why do you have Rampage and Wandy in your avatar?

mvagusta likes this.
  19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

A £500 quartz Tag/Omega isn't really for showing off - it says "I bought this just for the name on it, I'm actually that shallow"

mvagusta likes this.
  20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

^^^ same here ^^^

that's why I bought a modestly priced Fossil watch that I liked not just because of the price

mvagusta likes this.