Windows Borderlands

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by The Stig, 17 Sep 2007.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's not really 600,000 unique weapons. They've just got several different parts and upgrades so there is a possible 600,000 unique combinations of those parts and upgrades.

There are only really a handful of different types of weapons, there just happens to be 100,000 different combinations of shotguns.

It's an RPG thing, pretty much the same idea as different magic weapon combinations in Diablo II

I'm probably gonna have to wait till christmas for this one, Dragon Age is a higher on my list.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2009
  2. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Had it on preorder of a little while, and it's preloaded. Just need to wait until friday to be able to play, damn EU release date being behind.

3. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I had to cancel my pre-order as it's release date coincided with me moving house.

I will be definitely picking it up in the very near future though.

4. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

I really like it , playing the solo single player campaign at the moment , will be up for some co-op on the second playthrough , if i can find some friends !:eyebrow:

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

is there any challenge at all in the game ? From what I saw on youtube (there's no demo so I can't just try the game) it seems like all you need to do is shoot at standing targets that don't do anything

6. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

No, they shoot back, and it can be pretty difficult if you take on higher level enemies than you.

It's a good game, but it really shines in coop (well if you can manage to host a server which your friends can actually see and join...)

When can we expect a review dear Mr. Joe ?

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Later this week. Postal strike has arsed everything up, but I've been playing the game literally all weekend and have a good handle on it now. My biggest complaint is the AI and balancing. I just tried to tackle the Lost Cave (at around Level 15) and had a gun fight that went on for literally an hour and a half. The enemies were dealing out too much damage for me to be able to get close, so I had to sit back with a sniper rifle and keep charging in to lay a turret. Kept running out of ammo, having to hide to let my health recharge, but I had to be aggressive as the enemy health recharges too - and I couldn't leave because of respawning baddies. In that situation if you aren't getting critical hits then it's not really worth bothering because you aren't doing ANY damage.

Now, that quest may have been a bit too high-level for me or something and that would be fine, but the problem is that these enemies look the same as the ones you fight at the start. So, it's not really clear why this Bruiser can take literally two clips of sniper rifle bullets to the face without going down.

The game could communicate that quite simply by having the tougher enemies have a bit better AI (or a different look, new armour, different weapons) but it doesn't. Instead, I have a Bruiser in front of me who looks the same as all the other enemies, has the same weapons as all the other enemies and has the same crappy AI as all the other enemies (not once during the 90 min battle did he do more than strafe from side to side, like almost every enemy in the game) - but who can inexplicably absorb more damage than I can realisitically give out with my best weapons and abilities and who recharges almost as fast as I reload.

Very annoying and poorly designed, nor is it the only time I've faced this problem. In the end, for that fight, I was lucky in that an AI glitch allowed me to critical him five times with a burning shotgun as I second-winded. He stood there at point blank range and didn't do anything while I did.

That said, I do really like that game - but the problems are numerous and basic.

8. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

You can look at the enemies level when you aim at them so this would tell you how tough they're going to be or am I missing something?

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the leveling, on it is crap, although im not a fan of RPG.

can't use X gun because im not at Y level? can't kill a bruiser because he's 2 levels above you, yet seconds later, return and kill him with 2 revolver shots?

it's a very satisfying game, especially the sniping. but the RPG leveling element takes the fun out of it. would have been great if there's an option to turn off any leveling restriction and just have everyone the same level, be able to use any weapon you can lay your hands on.

im just a bit further than Joe, level 15 have just gotten the mine key and is having problem killing level 17 bruisers. even shotgun midgets are impossible to kill!

10. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I've been playing it fairly steadily and I'm at level 25 and once you get to the next town past Fyrestone the weapons become much stronger and its so much easier to kill anyone. For example I just found an Eridian weapon with infinite ammo and it can literally kill anyone in one shot close up; but you can only shoot about four times before it has to "recharge".

I have to agree with Joe that some of the battles get ridiculous. If you can't kill them within the first few shots be prepared for a long battle.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i've also found a Eridian weapon, require level 19. f*** stupid! it's only an arbitrary number.

12. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

So much for the pc version being specifically designed for a pc audience (I can't find the exact quote, but that is the gist of it)

Theres no push-to-talk, or any way to mute people (unfortunate when you can hear arguing toddlers in the background) Or even turn off the microphone (short of editing it out in an .ini file)
    The menu's are horrible (no mouse-wheel scroll, page up + page down, i mean what the hell) When looking for a game to join, the bare minimum is presented, name, level, how many people are in, no ping or any technical info. And it seriously lacks decent gfx options.

However, i do enjoy the game, it just needs some serious fixing.

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I like my revolver that does over 4k of damage per hit :D

14. CardJoe

That's true, but A - It's not always a totally reliable indicator because it doesn't account for ability and seems disparate between different enemy types (A lv. 9 Skag is easier than a lv. 6 Bruiser) and B - it's yet another piece of info to take in.

It also doesn't make a blind bit of difference, since you usually only find the tougher fights half-way through a mission, which means you have to re-do the whole mission later or you have to push through. I know what I choose.

15. klutch4891

Geez! Maybe I should switch to using a revolver. Am I the only person who thinks that being able to carry four guns is complete overkill? Sure its one for each element type but I still only use two tops.

16. Metric

Metric has a bazooka

Nice! Any chances to see a screenshot of it since the damage a weapon does vary heavily on the enemy and distance :)

Currently level 40 Hunter here, just finished killing Sledge in Playthrough 2 (lost around $300,000 of my $900,000 in respawns trying :eeek:). The second playthrough is definitely much more challenging and enjoyable - harder enemies and *much* better drops (averaging $10k in value and has high as +$100k). If anyone wants to add me, I'm under XSMetric.

For those discussing the number of actual weapons, ZenEffect over on XS worked on Borderlands (2K team, hardware compliance) and he says if you were to collect a weapon each second, non-stop it would take over 230 days to get all of them which comes out to be just under 20 million :)

17. klutch4891

Has anyone played a character of each class? So far I've only played as Lillith, but all the other classes abilities look much more powerful.

18. CardJoe

M'eh. It strikes me that Borderland's 87 Bazillion guns claims only seems interesting because it appears to be a shooter, when in actual fact it's an action RPG. It's like saying "Baldur's Gate has 500,000 different swords - oooh"

Yes, it's strictly true - but so what? It's expected of a game of that genre and type and it gets a lot less interesting because....

a) You'll probably only ever use the long swords/combat rifles anyway
    b) The weapons only differ in terms of +1 fire rate or +10 recoil reduction, rather than being anything fundamentally different
    c) the whole game is styled around using lots of very similar weapons that have more in common than they do differences, so the difference between a low-end gun and a high-end gun in Borderlands isn't the same as it would be in a normal FPS (because Borderlands isn't really an FPS, it's an action RPG)

Just compare the pistol to the BFG in Doom or the Crowbar to the Egon Gun in HL1 and then try to translate that into Borderlands and you'll see what I mean.

19. Metric

Metric has a bazooka

I totally agree with what you're saying as +99% of the items going to be found will solely just have varied stats (the other ~1% being the weapons usually taken from the bosses and the occasional orange weapons)

I just wanted clarify how many different combinations are available in the game, since I wasn't sure where other users were getting the 'lower' 600,000 :)

20. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

When i play this game i keep gettiing the feeling i'm taking part in some bizzar Gorrilaz video , keep expecting to bump into Damon Albarn at any second:eyebrow::eyebrow:...

I'm at level 9 , just killed bonehead in the bandit camp next to firestone , found that really tough until i equipped a better shield , couldn't get close enough to do any major damage.. so i just spammed him with the sniper rifle , took me lots of respawns though.... currently starting the mine quest but will probably do some side quests first to level up..

Also the way the weapons level up reminds me a lot of mass effect..

Tags: