News Space Marine not released on Steam in UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Sep 2011.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Whelp. my copy (courtesy of ZiiP) works fine on Steam, so I'm happy!

2. Zayfod

Zayfod What's a Dremel?

The situation with Space Marine and Steam is a steaming heap of dung, and it's only going to get larger as the high street retailers put more pressure the publishers (I seriously don't believe that GAME had nothing to do with this.).

If anyone is interested in the Space Marine demo it can be got through Steam, you just have to trick it into downloading by pasting this link steam://install/55410 into your browser address bar while Steam is open.

3. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I totally agree. Adblock along with Tubestop (which stops all youtube videos from auto starting) makes for a much more pleasant experience.

Keep in mind though that Adblocking bit-tech stops them from revenue or something so some people like to white list their favourite sites.

4. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Hasn't game been paying off publishers to have a period of time before and after launch where you are unable to buy certain games from Steam in the UK? I mean it's quite ridiculous frankly since they're too much of lazy bar stewards to actually dispatch the copies of space marine and dead island people bought with them.

This situation with games lately has really been pissing me off, steam is my go to place when I want videos and screenshots along with game information on EXACTLY the same page, it's so handy, but because THQ is being paid off I can't find out anything about space marine from steam, I also had to use a direct steam link just to download the bloody demo. Where's the anti-competitive laws?

5. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Lolz at the lies that Game has nothing to do with it.

From what I've heard, they have told THQ that if they put pre-orders up on Steam, they will stop selling their games, including console versions. Maybe there is money involved as well as Aracos says, wouldn't be surprised.

Not sure why it's still not on Steam but Game definitely have something to do with it.

6. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

From what ive heard on the 100%-accurate-all-the-time internet, aliens are amongst us, we didnt land on the moon (which is made of cheese!!), Iraq has WMDs, 9-11 was an inside job, and steam is the best platform for pc games.
    I love how 1 person jumping to a conclusion without any evidence has somehow created a pathetic anti-steam conspiracy. Just like EA only wanting to sell Crysis 2 & BF3 on Origin and refusing steam because they want Origin to win, while conveniently overlooking the fact that all other non-steam DD sites are selling these games.

Ooooh, well if some internet nerds say so, it must be true...

7. boz4442

boz4442 What's a Dremel?

+1 here as well

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Addblock plus also takes out the adverts from 4od.

9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Can tell who the steam fans are here!

I personally cannot stand Valve (steam) and there pathetic VAC.

Most hacked call of duty games are using VAC as the anti cheat system and they are MW2 and Black Op's.

Then you have people saying about BF3 and Crysis 2 that it's all down to EA and them not wanting Valve (steam) to sell it unyet if any of you actually looked on the net you, would see that it's down to Valve (steam) changing it's T&C's for developers and wanting to limit how patches and DLC are distrubituted to the people who buy the game which is us.

I personally DETEST Valve (steam) but I use it because I play the Call Of Duty games and if a developer doesn't want to sell there game on Steam that is there choice, if they either choose not to or don't agree with the fee that Valve charge on all copies sold and stupid restriction's about where they can sell it.

Please see these link's before you carry on bashing EA for what is actually Steam's fault in regard's to there games, and this may have also be the reason behind why Space Marine is not available on Steam because it is available at other places.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/117/1176517p1.html

http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/15/ea-begins-to-pull-steam-availability-push-origin-exclusives/

Now all we need is for other companies to follow suit and other games to stop using VAC and I will be happy as then I can buy games cheaper, as Steam is the dearest place in the UK for games and there anti cheat system is nothing more than a joke as far as I am concerned.

Not to mention the service from Valve is garbage especially when you pay for something and it doesn't go on your account and then, takes them nearly 2 month's to sort it out like what happened with me and Half life 2 Episode One and then the wrongfull banning of all those people on MW2 yeah Steam is great lol.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2011
  10. Zayfod

Zayfod What's a Dremel?

There, fixed that for you...

To summarise; Space Marine requires Steam to run, and uses Steamworks. THQ has allegedly been pressured into not distributing the game through Steam in the UK by the high street retail chain GAME, who don't stock PC games in the first place...

11. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Damien, Steam isn't perfect and its primary purpose is to make money for Valve but it is significantly better than most of the alternatives out there. Please believe me when I say that VAC is nothing compared to the fun we used to have trying to update CS over a dial up connection with the early versions of Steam *shudder*.

Right now it is the best combined digital distribution and DRM platform that there is at the moment. So much so that developers choose to use Steamworks as a verification system, they aren't forced to do so. THQ are certainly big enough to be able to afford to develop their own verification system - they didn't, they turned to a tried and tested solution instead. Space Marine specifically requires activation via Steam, you can even install the game without ever using the DVDs once you have registered it - you just can't buy the game or anything related to it through Steam. There is no entry in the store and if you try to check for DLC through the game properties you get "This item is currently unavailable in your region".

No one knows for definite who's responsible but the rumour mill is firmly pointing fingers in the direction of Game. They were the only ones I saw that had "exclusive preorder DLC" which in other countries was available through multiple retailers, Steam pre orders which (apparently) all came included with the Collector's Edition in other countries. They also (allegedly) only had one copy of the game per store. They also have a rival download service which definitely doesn't do as well, limited titles available at launch and I don't know whether or not they even offer a pre load facility.

Shenanigans? Oh aye, just a bit!

12. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Grow up please and are you lot crazy? When was the last time you saw a new game on Steam that was below the RRP? The only time Steam is good for buying games direct is when they have a sale on.

I got my copy of Space Marine from ShopTo, I paid £23 for the download code, entered into Steam and downloaded from Steam, certainly beats paying the £30 Steam would have charged me.

As an example Deus Ex is £29.99 on Steam, I got it on the day it got released for £23 from Greenman games as a download code to use on Steam. So what's the difference? Other than I saved myself £7.

13. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Steam is crap. Gutted that Space Marine is only available via that [beep!*censored*].

One time activation, fine by me. But external client which takes over completely user freedom, treating customer like a thief, Stalinist way of doing business. No thanks!

Any game requiring Steam is dead to me. There is one important principle for me: freedom of use. With Steam platform freedom is completely gone... In a good Stalinist way.

14. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Wow. Gotta say, there aren't as many people with that type of opinion about Steam, friend. You make some points that have merit from a certain point of view. I suppose Steam has its positives and its negatives, but do the negatives really outweigh all the positives? I thought Steam to be a relatively unobtrusive kind of DRM (i only need to log in online once a month and can be offline the rest of the time) and it's handy for keeping all my games updated and at the same version as my multiplay mates?

15. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Freaking printers!

Don't want this and not in the UK but I have to say that this type of **** sucks. They should just tell the retailes to f-off.

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

No, Steam is not perfect, but what are the alternatives?

Ea Store with its confusing layout only a 10 year old can make sense of and broken payment system and its retarded download manager that downloads itself like every second day? Sure, they revamped it a bit and gave it a new name, but why should I give EA another chance after what they've done to PC gaming? remember how many classic pc games they have ruined with shitty sequels.

And the other digital distribution platforms can't even measure up to the one of EA.

Buying physical? with all the online activation, day 0 patching and so on its almost the same as buying online anyway.

Lets face it, there is currently just no decent alternative to Steam, honestly, only thing that is better than steam is gog.com, that however is only old games.

17. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

I do not buy physical media, have a steam account which I use to buy games, will not sign up for another download service, and that means I need to grow up? Because I want to purchase the game on the platform I use which THQ decided not to release on in the UK due to whatever deal they have that is not best for its customers. Point not taken.

18. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

You do realise you can save money by buying it somewhere else and register it on Steam since it's a steamworks game?

There is literally no difference in buying it from somewhere else and registering it on Steam, apart from you will save money.

Prices for new games on Steam are rubbish, especially considering you can buy some of them elsewhere and they need Steam anyway.

19. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

It's funny that you say Game don't even stock PC games unyet they are available on there website and if I go in to my local store I can buy PC games. which is where I buy 90% of my games from in the 1st place.

I think you need to actually look at the website and store 1st before spouting rubbish.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/games/pc-games/

20. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have to say for those people who want to have a pointless piece of software running in the background, and that can't stop people from pirating games or cheating in games and charge more for games than anywhere else, then yeah it's excellent.

For me I have to say I don't want Steam running in the background when I am playing games not that it causes issues with performance etc, but I don't like the fact that I cannot play a game without having to be signed in as online to play a game online, and constant messages coming up from people on my friend's list because they can see me playing a game.

I don't want to be charged anything from 10% to 50% more for a game because it is on a download service.

I don't want to use a anti cheat system that cannot prevent people cheating but instead ban's 10,000 innocent people on a game.

Just because it is not being sold on steam does not mean it has anything to do with GAME, look at how everyone automatically blamed EA/Dice for BF3 and Crysis 2 no longer being on Steam and yeah they were partially to blame by offering it on other places but it was Steam who dropped it not EA/Dice, so you may find that this is exactly the same situation.

Everyone need's to take a good hard look at this and just realise this is by my count the 3rd game not to be sold on Steam and the 3rd company blamed, for that unyet not a single person on here is able to say "Oh it's my precious Steam's fault".

Grow up people if Steam cannot be the only place to buy a game online now then it won't get sold on Steam because it mean's they cannot charge the earth for it and make a massive profit.

Simple as that!!!

Tags: Add Tags