Graphics GTX 780 twice as fast as a GTX 580.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 5 Jan 2012.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Agreed!:)

I agree, but when something new is out, I try to make out I don't need it...Then I buy it lol.

This happened when I upgraded from 990X X58 to 3960X X78...I tried to persuade myself not to upgrade, but I gave into temptation!:duh:

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Now I'll be playing with power.... Nintendo Power!

Oh wait...

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Maximum Power!!!:rock:

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

i'm amazed at some of the members on here acting like this is anything but garbage...would think some of you would know better...but oh well...

since nvidea doesn't even have a working sample yet nor have they officially announced specs that detailed, it's all speculation and horse poopy...

within the next month they will have a card on display, that will end up being an empty shroud...and then a quarter or two later they will show a real working sample...you will have your card late second/third quarter at the earliest...

and no, you guys don't just buy what you need, or you wouldn't have sb-e rigs...lol

5. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

really dont need this my gtx 570 is going quite well but i sure do want it.

6. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

Indeed, if my second 570 was still working I'd have enough as well. Just one is fine for single monitor gaming at the moment but my plan is to go surround with either the 7000 series or 700, whichever looks the most enticing!

It seems silly to me to rush now to get the AMD cards, unless you were running a really old card and you literally couldn't wait any longer or you'd burst. I'm just waiting for Kepler, then I'll make my decision on what two cards I will buy.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

A mention on multi monitors:

Nvidia's Surround is currently limited to three monitors maximum, all with the same resolution and requires at least two cards for three monitor setups.

With the 7000 series Eyefinity supports up to six monitors with the option for having different resolutions. The 7970 can output to four monitors by default and six with a DisplayPort splitter. 5000 and 6000 must be the same resolution and require DisplayPort be used with single card tri-monitor displays and either two cards or an Eyefinity version card for 4+ monitors.

Of course, maybe Nvidia will change some things with the 700 series. More than three monitors, single card tri-monitor setups, different resolutions, all of the above, none of the above, who knows. But if your planned setup has a conflict with either party's technology be ready! For example my own setup is two 1280x1024 and one 1920x1080 and would be able to use Eyefinity with a 7970 but if Nvidia don't support single card tri-monitor displays and multiple resolutions with the 700 series I couldn't use Surround.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2012
  8. GoodBytes

Not really.
    I mean Nvidia specification of the card for the display part of the GPU is limited to 3 displays.. but a manufacture of the card could change that. Like these guys:
    1 GPU, triple/quad monitor support
    http://www.galaxytechus.com/usa/productview.aspx?id=162
    (They have a series of models with this technology, look for the "MDT" series)

9. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Yep, until it's independently tested this is in 'pigs can fly' territory.

10. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I'm more confused as to how they manage to imply that a 580 has identical performance in all 8 of those benchmarks/games, somehow I highly doubt it.

11. krishan

krishan Minimodder

It's not implying that, it's trying to imply that the fps the 780 achieves is 1.5 - 2.2 more than a 580 playing that game.

12. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

The 580 is being used as a baseline, and it assigned a value (1) and then the performance increase of the 780 is being compared to that.

basicially if the 580 was 37fps, and the graph said the 780 was 1.85x, then the fps would be 68.5.

in any event:

If nvidia had a working sample and the performance was what the chart claims, you'd think they would leak something a bit more substantial in order to really rain on the 7970 parade.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2012
  13. GoodBytes

That's because you don't understand the graph.

XYZ game runs at 60fps with the Geforce GTX 580.
    The performance represent a 1:1 ratio with the game, or if you prefer: 100% performance, where the card gives it's maximum.

The GTX 780 in the other runs XYZ game at 120fps. That is twice the performance in running that specific game. That is a 2:1 ratio with the game, so 200% performance. Or, as mentioned, twice the performance OF THE GTX 580.

Look at the X axis.. notice that these are points, not FPS.

14. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Hell, if the GTX 760 is half as good as these benchmarks would indicate, I'll wait till that comes out instead of getting a 560 ti now.

15. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

That's some convenient timing there. 4 days before the 7970 goes on sale. Just like the GTX4xx release again. According to their own release schedule, these aren't out until Q3, so I'd like to know how they'd ascertain any solid performance figures...

16. GoodBytes

Actually Nvidia does have the chip. In fact Nvidia is most likely done with the chip since a while ago. They are probably waiting for the driver team, and/or marketing, and/or seeing with the production facilities on how to produce the overall card and/or seeing how to design (circuit wise/cooling, etc..) the card itself. Hardware companies aren't software. It's not "Ah we just released BF4, let's start working on BF5". No. It's: "We just are about 60-70% done with the Radeon 9000, the 8000 is finalizing the details, and ready to be shipped for production." Hardware companies are always few steps ahead. The main reason for this, is that in the case the competitor releases something way better... They are not going to wait 3-4 years of no sales until the next ship is done and release ready to compete. They can have plan B, in a few months, ready to crush the competition.

Example, is Intel. Intel was #1 for so long, that they stop working on the future models back in the Pentium 4 days... we had the Pentium 4 for so long... it's was like CPU technology stopped. All we got was tweaked models of the same chip. And when AMD came with the first true dual core 64-bit CPU. Intel had nothing for a while. That made a big dent in Intel market share. It was the first time (at least in Canada), where you could see an AMD processor computers on store shelves, and was a high end system, and also lower end. OEMs wanted AMD chip. Heck even Dell, started to come out with AMD CPU based computers.

Of course, Intel catch up... and AMD decision to aim the low-end market instead of competing in the high end market with socket AM2, didn't help things for them, and Intel easily repaired their damaged. But, assuming that AMD decided to still be in the game... Intel could have potentially end up like what RIM is now for cellphones. Talking about RIM... look now, because they had nothing really in their pocket, beside rehash models, they now have to wait 1 full year before having a new model, and people wonder if RIM can still survive until then.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2012
  17. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

It's not from Nvidia.
    Some dude just made it, and didn't even get the name of metro last light correct.
    Also used a image straight from google image search, top result.

18. GoodBytes

Because the chip is done already (nvidia one). Everything is planed out. The only reason why we got Sandy Bridge and the i7 3000 series is Intel was afraid of AMD Bulldozer, else they could have waiting, for the current i7, people was still buying it.

19. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

That seems like a bit of an unnecessary attack on nvidia and sb-e owners.

I buy what I want, which I feel is entirely up to me, why buy what you need if you can afford what you want?

Well I am impressed with the ATI stuff and I will probably buy 4 of them I have no company loyalty so when the nvidia cards come out and are faster than the ATI, as they usually are, I will buy 4 of them to. Unless of course there is more than 5 way sli by then in which case I will buy more

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

3lusive and thetrashcanman like this.
  20. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

I'm realy looking forward to there next gen cards, I currently have a 550 Ti and realy want some SLI goodness next time!
    Did they reveal anything of the lower end? Like 760 or something?

~Bladesingerz