Case Mod - In Progress ZdMods | Harman/Kardon HTPC | Final pics in post #35

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Meelobee, 19 Jun 2011.

1. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

I actually did that, but the sleeves weren't the same size, I should have cut those better. Next time it will be better ;)

2. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

ahaa okej, then i see :), i just wanted to inform you that it will be a more detailed tuck on it with a nice sleevejob but overall is awsome! keep up the good job

3. sherazade

sherazade What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I have to agree to the majority opinion:

Your work on this case is really awesome!!

I actually was thinking of building exactly the same HTPC as I really love the H/K case design, but couldn't get my hands on a pricey case till now. Spending 700 EUR on the amplifier just to kick out all the interior was (what a surprise) no option for me.

You mentioned that you got the case as a replacement part from an H/K service center. How much did you spend on it and how did you order it??

Best regards and keep up the great work.

BTW: The volume knot isn't working anymore, is it? And did you use the i3 2100T CPU? I just ordered the same for my first tries...

4. Meelobee

The case was €65,- I got the url of the repaircenter from a Dutch forum, I just emailed them and asked if they had the 355 housing.
    The volume button isn't working yet, it will be working soon though.

No updates yet, haven't worked much on the case, work is getting in the way...

Last edited: 7 Jul 2011
  5. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Lovely mod. Im not a massive fan of the case, but your work on the internationals is amazing.
    Ive been thinking of buying the same CPU cooler for my htpc. How quiet is it? I'm using the stock cooler ATM.

6. sherazade

sherazade What's a Dremel?

Hi Meelobee,

using the right words to feed google I found this Harman & Kardon Service Center in Germany. Is this the same, you got your case from? Or could you perhaps post a link to the service center you made experience with?

Can't believe it is that easy (and not too expensive) to get this housing...

Best regards

7. Meelobee

Nope that's a German store, I bought mine from a Dutch repair center: http://www.cerepair.nl/

Today I received the microcontroller that will be used to enable the buttons (including volume) on the front of the case. Hopefully I can do some work on the case tomorrow :)

8. OC Maximus

OC Maximus What's a Dremel?

Loving the project. Clean, neat and simple. Great job!

9. Meelobee

Thanks OC :)

[​IMG]

I really wanted to use the buttons on the front of the case (Not that it's really practical, I prefer a remote, but because It's possible :D) So I looked for a way use them. Thanks to a fellow tweaker I now have a custom microcontroller. (He made it for me :))

The HTPC sees this controller as a keyboard, converting the button presses to keyboard strokes, and thus allowing me to use the buttons on the front of the receiver to control XMBC :D

The buttons on the original H/K print:

Testing to see if the controller works as it should:

This is how the microcontroller print is fitted on the original H/K print. (The print in the middle is the back of the Mplay VFD) The front with all the prints fits exactly behind the vertical alu plate I made earlier.

Halfway wiring the buttons:

I finished wiring all buttons and they all work perfect (including the big volume button) But in my enthausiasm to test the whole thing I forgot to take a picture of it completely assembled, I'll show that in the next update :)

Till next time! [​IMG]

EDIT: Removed pics due to bandwith issue's final pics in post #35.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2012
    Mojo likes this.
  10. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

The electronics work is gorgeous - and I never see it on BiT. Great to see custom 'boards and some microcontrollers on here!

11. Baguette

Baguette What's a Dremel?

=> agreed, it's very nice and refreshing :p

Awesome work melobee, I quite like all the neat cable tucking :) I hope the button-mods turn out all right!

Edit: Being my stupid self, I missed out the entire last line about the buttons...good job!

12. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

So I assume that the USB keypad idea didn't work? or did it just give you other problems?

13. Meelobee

Thanks! It's all working now. I had to change one of the buttons since XBMC can't handle a shift modifier. (had a button programmed to '= mod shift', changed it to just '=' and now it works flawless :)

I tried with a keypad, but all the wiring in it was on plastic sheets, my soldering skills aren't good enough to connect it. So I used a controller instead. Which is also more versatile, I can reprogram the buttons if needed. (see above comment)

14. Rai

Rai What's a Dremel?

I am not a fan of HTPC cases, but nice modding. I suppose each person has their own sense of aesthetics for cases.

15. Meelobee

Been a while since I updated this thread, haven't had much time to mod lately. But despite all that the HTPC is done, and I even made an addon for it:

HTPC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Storage
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both of the units on their spot under the receiver
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 25 Jun 2012
  16. logonui

logonui Minimodder

Amazing work! +rep :thumb:

17. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Beautiful work my friend!!!!!!! 5 stars for you!!!

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

The HDD storage solution is a stroke of genius. My only query on the actual PC is do you have an air intake anywhere?

19. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That is so sleek, great work, and I love the cover for the motherboard! Well done! :thumb:

20. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

+1 rep...

i love the harman kardon kit.. and a few years ago i did my own conversion!