Scratch Build – In Progress Mondrian

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 8 Oct 2012.

1. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Another well crafted Slippery build, congrats! I´m not a fan of Mondrian myself, but it works really really good for a building surface. Amazing as always!

2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Jeremy! There is something valuable about a system that let's people provide honest feedback like the star system here. Honest feedback is sometimes hard to come by. Tagging someone with a single star within 15 minutes isn't honest feedback of any kind. Lately it seems I have been giving out stars to right wrongs rather than provide my own honest feedback and that isn't right either.

I like your idea about the switch. Keeping the star ratings off until the project is at least finished might be a solution.

Keep up the good job on the podcast. You are doing god's work. :thumb:

3. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Nothing wrong with Aliens riding Dragons in Space but there should be respect for ideas that go beyond that. It is not easy to build something the ladies consider to be sexy...but it is certainly worth the effort. :D

Thanks! The Mondrian design was mostly motivated by the question on how I was going to hide/minimize the exposed CPU heatsink. Considering that nobody even wants to mention it tells me I might have hit the nail on the head.

4. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

another great mini mod (in size, not skills ;)) by slipperyskip. The collection you have just keeps growing (The header pic on your FB page is awesome)

Not my favorite of your builds, but nonetheless it's another spot-on masterpiece. stars & rep!

5. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Meelobee! I knew going in that Mondrian probably wasn't going to be as popular as some of my others but I really don't care too much about that. My best friend pitched a fit (sorry Scott). Now and then I like to turn the world upside down just for the fun of it. I wanted to do something fun and different, I wanted to work with acrylic and I wanted a test subject for my FB experiment. Done, done and done.

6. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

And right you are :thumb: Build what you like, not what others like. :)

7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

It gets complicated when you have sponsors. People have certain expectations that you can't ignore. You might notice that the computer equipment in Mondrian is the exact same as Aerodyne's....because it is. In my mind, I don't have any more obligation to a sponsor if I re-use their stuff for another project. That is why Mondrian was much riskier than Aerodyne.

8. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Some additional final photos. The blogs seemed to prefer this angle but I like the higher angle better because it shows the top vents. Oh well. The footer does looks better in these IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

That group photo = pants creamed!

10. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

LOL I call those my "smalls". Mondrian should probably be on the "mids" table but there wasn't enough room. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

11. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

I can see that I still got some slipperyskip logs to read through. ;)

12. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

Awesome high class as usual! :) had my opinion splitted about the mondrian style but the second row of final photos really convinced me, WOW have rarely seen such vibrant matching pieces of acrylic! :)

im no great fan of acrylic builds because i think they often goes "way to far" for me, usually often only get headaches of them.. tinkling light and uv green all over.. >.< However when it's used as accents like this it really looks fantastic =)

Did you paint the ply behind the acrylic white or is it natural birch?

ps, you now owns us the "large table"!

Last edited: 9 Oct 2012
  13. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks! I gotta give it up to Piet for producing art that really messes with your head without you knowing it. It is weird but whenever you walk into a room where Mondrian is located your eyes are automatically drawn to it. Too ugly to ignore? Maybe, but resistance is futile. This effect has been confirmed by others.

This is not art for the color-blind. I've read where they use "Mondrian charts" to test for color-blindness. I actually got one hater to admit he was color-blind.

All the acrylic is translucent except the white and it is opaque. Translucent acrylic, from what I can tell, becomes opaque when you back it up with a solid surface. I could have painted the backing board hot pink and it wouldn't have shown through. I left the wood raw to help with the gluing process.

I'm working on the "large" photo. They don't work as well on a table so I have to come up with another setting.

14. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

Love it. As an art teacher, I must, as a modder I still must. Nice work.

15. Ripitup121

Ripitup121 MMMMMMm watercooling....

Epic work.

16. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

IMHO that Crown of mITX King should immediately awarded to slipperyskip

17. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Beautiful job as always you never cease to amaze me with your wood working skills. I measure 3 times and end up cutting 3 times.

18. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks. People who are familiar with Mondrian's work seem to approve of my interpretation. That's cool.

Thanks!

Maybe. :hehe: I'm pretty sure I have the world's largest collection of Mini ITX boards. 28 last time I counted including my latest...

[​IMG]
    Gigabyte's new Z77N-WiFi.

Thank you. I never try to make a perfect cut because it can't be done. I measure just to make sure I cut it too long and then hand sand it down to fit exactly as it should. Seems to work but it requires a lot of time and patience.

19. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I had the same issue with the stars once. One realizes he is in a good path when enemies appear. You are successful bro, haters are imminent! Absolute awesome job once more! Oh and 5 stars too! ;)

20. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

You are not alone.

Unless its copper tube,then im bang on....foul ups cost

Tags: