They are all stars but do we really need them?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Teelzebub, 26 Nov 2012.

?

Should we get rid of the stars rating for Project Logs?

1. Yes, nuke it immediately!

59 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. No, they're a useful indicator.

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Who cares?

35 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

By that I take it you're in agreement then the star rating system should be disabled then.

So if the system was scrapped you would start posting your builds/logs on bt again? I'm sure like me many others here on bt would like to see your work on here again :thumb:

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

The star system has worked fine for the last 7 years I've been here.

Its only been the last few months when groups have dropped, for want of a better term, 'rating bombs' on threads.

If you don't like a mod, don't rate it down, just don't rate it up. Its really not that difficult, just a teaspoon of common sense and about .03 of a second.

3. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Last edited: 2 Dec 2012
    G0UDG likes this.
  4. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

5. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I doubt the rating system has ever worked properly as it is entirely subjective- most guys & girls can give an honest opinion of a project by posting their thoughts and suggestions for improvement ( I have a few times ), but the star rating system is just a pointless distraction that is open to abuse. If a troll posts hateful remarks they can be deleted- if they also 1 star a project then nothing happens.

Telling people not to vote if they don't like a project is pointless as it is mainly trolls doing the 1 star voting; your pleas for 'common sense' will fall on deaf ears.

Nuke the system from orbit.

6. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Lots of things can work well, for a while. That doesn't mean they continue to do so or are fit for purpose any longer.

Why do mods close threads? Usually for one of three reasons I think: spam, inappropriate in the first instance or someone(s) send it off the rails - sometimes quite deliberately. It seems almost anything open to abuse ultimately will be abused by someone here.

We all know you're vehemently opposed to change and would like bt to be what it was years ago but that doesn't mean it should remain so - of the 34 people who have voted so far not one has picked the "useful" option.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2012
    G0UDG and Teelzebub like this.
  7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, you decided to stop posting project logs because you took umbrage to my moving your most recent one to Modding until you posted some pics of work in progress (as per long-established rules) that constituted a bit more than a hole drilled in a bit of aluminium. I could understand your annoyance as you are a well-established modder on this forum who can be trusted to deliver the goods. But the rules have to be (seen to be) the same for everybody.

Although I have no particular love for the star rating system myself (it's all about the music mods, man!), I find it ironic that members who routinely engage in 'rep-bombing' of their mates should take offence at someone using the star rating system in a similar manner. Either we accord rep and stars on merit, or we do it because we like some people more than others. Either way, the forum is a product of the behaviour of all its posters. If the Mods try to intervene in that, we are accused of being nazi's. If we let the community socially police itself, we are accused of being lazy and disinterested.

Can't please everybody all of the time, I'm afraid. We did not become Mods because we fancied a career in politics; we did it because we wanted to support this forum. Most other members want to do the same, and think of what they can do for this forum, and not what this forum can do for them.

G0UDG likes this.
  8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'm sorry, that's just blatantly untrue. In general, it happens and we're a lot more lax about it, because its the general forum. If you look through the hardware/software etc forums, people come to ask question, and most of the time get a concise, knowledgeable answer, or are pointed in the right direction.

Yes, some derails are always going to happen, which is why you have the option to report posts and ask the moderation team to intervene, or you guys can take steps yourselves.

Again, quite untrue. An awful lot has changed in my time here, the entire site has been through 3 redesigns, and I think the current one is by far the best of the lot, but thats not to say its not perfect. I just don't think its a particularly good use of time and resources to change a system that has does its job just fine and that doesn't have to be followed.. I think a far better system would be people not being silly and down/up voting things because its their mate or they don't like him/her and other petty playground politics reasons.

9. Teelzebub

Nexxo the star rating system and the rep system are nothing like each other and nor are their functions tbh.

The rep system was reduced to a farce a long time ago, in the "good old days", with people getting huge amounts of rep for posting childish gross pictures in the original demote thread and the tits and bums thread (called the bit-tech babes). Even some of the mods posted in these

As for the star system, I've already said it's superfluous in my opinion but the star rating is clearly there for all to see and applies to an individual work effort by each modder. However, it seems it's being used to upset people and possibly influence the voting in the MOTY, at least that's what some of the modders feel. These people (the modders) are dedicated to producing top quality work; it's good for the forum to have these modders post their work here, surely?

Can't you can see there's a much bigger problem with the star system than with the rep system? Star system = "apparently" how good or bad someone's work is, Rep system = farce, and we all know it.

And so far the poll does seem to indicate the star system should be disabled.

Apophis54 likes this.
  10. Nexxo

Partly I agree with you, and partly I don't.

The rep system started out with similar intentions as the star rating. The idea of rep was that you could rate someone's individual post (as a contribution). The star rating aimed to rate the whole thread (as a topic of interest). The rep system soon kind of degenerated, as you say, into Facebook-esque "likes" for one's buddies. There is no reason why the star rating system wouldn't follow the same downward path.

I'm all for getting rid of the star system personally, but I expect it would require tweaking some settings which us mere mortal Mods have no control over (and we're still waiting for the powers at Dennis to tighten up the sign-up process so we don't have to purge 400 spam accounts every day).

11. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Apophis54 likes this.
  12. Nexxo

Not a function that we mods have access to, I'm afraid. Perhaps the super-admins.

13. Teelzebub

Shame but good to see you tried lets hope one of the admin can :thumb: it still needs addressing though would have been nice to have put this to rest and get back to eating our cream cakes lol

14. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Jumping the gun a bit there aren't you, Tel, the poll's only been up for 2 days :p There could be a sudden surge of "Useful indicator" voters

Edit: changing your post won't change it :p

15. Nexxo

Hmmm... Cream cakes...

[​IMG]

16. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I'm one of those that doesn't pay a bit of attention to the stars. I look at the builds themselves with an eye more towards scratch builds. If the system is being used to try to wrongly influence MOTY or to screw with modders, then either fix the source of the problem, which are those who are abusing the star rating system, or if that's not practical, then just kill the star rating. You don't really need a star rating system. People who are on here can easily follow and see quality builds.

YEHBABY likes this.
  17. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

18. Nexxo

Where do you get the idea that it's about embarrassing you in public? I repeat:
    It's not about you; it never was. But if you feel OK about criticising how the forums are run, you should feel OK with me challenging your criticism of that.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2012
  19. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I just don't see why it is a problem, do you only mod to get stars and rep? Who cares what others think? You should be doing it for yourself not the respect or stars that others give you.

20. Teelzebub

I have to agree with this no one cares what longweight thinks either :hehe:

Last edited: 29 Nov 2012