Windows What is your favourite level/mission from any game, ever?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 3 Jan 2013.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Last mission of Mass Effect 3. Talk about desperate struggle! You genuinely think you'll never make it, despite having spent HOURS making sure your war effort was at full level before starting! Even then, your force gets absolutely decimated at every turn!

Depressingly emotional, tense and brilliantly built. Gives a real sense of using every scrap of resource and fight you have left in you. Couple that with the story and I loved every minute of it.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2013
  2. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Totally agree :thumbup:

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

BFBC2 Valparaiso rush. nothing beats winning as attackers this level with 5 tickets to spare.

GTA4 bank heist mission. so well executed and the scripted "nothing goes to plan" just seems so spontaneous.

the few missions from Assassin's Creed series where you are required to blend in and take out your targets without being noticed. that's how AC should be played.

Portal 1 test chamber where you go up and down in different platforms many times to finally reach a much higher platform. and the later one where you have to use similar concept to avoid turrets and reach a higher ledge. love doing it.

also those 2, Vietcong was an underrated game.

4. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

First time I played through Ravenholme in HL2 I was soooo tense I let out a huge sigh of relief, then I realised my heart was pounding so I played it again.

I do remember how utterly amazed I felt when I was on the rooftop accros from Father Gregori's compound and I heard the scream of the fast zombies and then watched the nearby drainpipe vibrating madly as they climbed up. I them realised that maybe I should have kept some more ammo...

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I'm probably gonna piss off a lot of people but I didn't like Ravenholme. Gregori was ridiculous and the whole thing seemed out of place. I get that the head crambs and zombies destroyed a whole town but I never felt scared or remotely tense. I just saw it as a playground for buzz saws and the grav gun.

6. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

I'd agree I'm not quite sure why people found it so tense. I enjoyed it a lot though but as you say mainly because it's a big playground where I can run around firing saw blades at zombies.

My favourite missions in games not strictly in order:

1) The battle with The End in MGS3
    2) The swamp boat section in Half Life 2
    3) "All In" mission in Starcraft 2
    4) The final boss of Metroid Prime
    5) Maybe not a mission as such but Nefarian in Blackwing Lair will forever be my favourite boss in an MMO dungeon.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Doom II, Grosse.

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Doom II, Barrels O' Fun.

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I'm gonna go with Arica in Rush or Conquest mode. I got nothing but love for that level.

10. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Tales of Symphonia, when you have to solo fight Kratos :)

Amazing game, recommend to anyone!

11. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

+1 to that. :thumb: Tales of Symphonia is one of my favorite games of all time. Sank >120 hours into it. Great storyline, memorable characters and fun combat. I loved the teamplay and tactics when fighting bosses (which were actually pretty hard iirc) with my two brothers.
    Found the sequel rubbish though.

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'll have to say, COD:2's Stalingrad and D-Day were excellent renditions.

As was pretty much the entirety of WaW.

13. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

the bank robbery in gta4 and the forest temple in the wind waker :D

14. SonnyJim

SonnyJim Minimodder

The mission in the ship in COD4. Blackout?

Still can't play it without tilting my head when escaping!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

15. October

October Mariachi Style

I see to have lost my copy of CoD4 and it's still priced like it's only been out a few months :grr:

I forgot about rush on Africa...what a map...that snowy one too, can't remember what it was called, the one where the attackers start up a mountain. Also absolutely loving rush or conquest on Sharqi Peninsula these days.

16. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

To easy to win by just using the tank like an artillery piece.

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Snowy maps are amazeballs. :rock:

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Oh yes, very yes.

Also it's not really a 'level', more a region, but the entire city of Vivec in Morrowind. An amazingly organic-feeling and politically charged place for such a static single-player game, brimming with hidden gems, subplots and detail.

specofdust likes this.
  19. Ream

Ream What's a Dremel?

Resident evil 1, dogs smashing through the windows and giving me a heart attack.

Resident evil code veronica when the camera moved with the player showing that the prerendered environments were gone.

My first proper team match on BF2.

20. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

In no particular order....
    Sonic 1 - Special stage. I still remember the first time i got in the special stage and thought 'Huh? What the...? WHA?! EH?! OMFG WHICH WAY IS UP?!?!
    FF8 - Giant Cactuar fight. Seriously, how smegging big?! Awesome, bonkers and genius.
    MGS - Psycho Mantis. Utter genius by the devs to come up with that.
    Portal 2 - Large round room with conversion gel in the middle, about 3/4 through 'The Fall'. Had lots of fun passing the time with that, just checkout the screenshot in my steam profile (in the sig) ;)
    Lord of the Rings Online - The Rift. Simply the most well designed 12 man raid in any MMO I've ever played. Each of the 8 bosses tests a couple of classes to a higher degree that the others (european first kill of Boss 7(Thrang), tymv :thumb:) and then the final boss (a Balrog no less) brings it all together with a big test for each class and archtype. (and a very scary few minutes for the main tank which a few of you might have experienced.)
    Medal Of Honour: Frontline - Opening mission D-Day landings. Even now I don't think any game has been able to throw you into the action the way that did and that was back on PS2. If it was remade with current capabilities it would easily be the best single player FPS ever made just from it's stunning impact regardless of how it plays.
    Crysis Warhead - on the train This was a favourite of Gunsmiths I believe (and easily his funniest video). Pure carnage and destruction from start to finish. Very therapeutic :)
    Guitar Hero 3 - Through The Fire And Flames You want a button mashing challenge? Look no further. 95% on expert bitches :rock: (man i need to get out more :rolleyes: lol)
    Devil May Cry 3(I think) - Tower of Souls (or something like that) Special game mode. Kill everything in the room, 3 lift portals appear going up 1,10 or 100 levels each. Get as high as possible. If meory serves I got up to a level once which had every boss from the entire game in it, it wont surprise you to learn that I never made it past.
    Street Fighter II - Smashing up the car Come on, who didn't love this?
    Mortal Kombat - The Pit (various incarnations) Again, everyone loved these levels.

Probably tons more but I just can't think of them at the moment.