Boston Bombing

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Blazza181, 15 Apr 2013.

1. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

2. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

looks like the JFK library is related

3. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

4. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

6. Blazza181

BPD have set up a perimeter around the abandoned Penske truck at Albany and Dearborn in Roxbury

Erk.

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

8. Blazza181

Tufts Medical Center evacuated, our reporter on the scene says. Family members, visitors ordered to leave, but not patients. Block shut down.

EDIT: JFK fire related. Doesn't seem to be a bomb.

EDIT 2: Obama receiving briefing on the bombing.

[​IMG]

9. Matticus

Matticus ...

This is all just terrible.

Seeing people in that much panic and knowing people are dead/injured has made me feel physically sick.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

This is crazy! I am speechless. Holy crap!

11. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

I do find this funny that someone is getting a brief on this and yet there is still time for a photo op for twitter / Facebook

12. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

The New York Post isn't a very good source. That's like quoting The Sun.

I'm betting one or two right wing Americans. Most likely ex military, with recent exposure to IED knowledge. This is the result of the re election and gun rights debate.

You do know that there is a photographer with the president almost at all times. This is an attempt to intill in people that the government is in charge, unlike last time. Remember that Mr Bush was informed and then continued to read to kids in a classroom.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2013
  13. Blazza181

14. Matticus

Matticus ...

I imagine Fox is probably just about as a newsworthy as NYP.

This whole thing is just surreal, it just feels like such a strange target to attack, regardless of the agenda of whoever is behind it.

15. Jumeira_Johnny

Not really, if you see this as a domestic attack. It's patriots day in MA, and it's a big deal in Boston alongside the marathon. It's a soft target with a lot of coverage, open foot traffic, confined areas, and plenty of public access to escape routes. Clearly designed to mock the security apparatus that has grown up over the last decade.

Also, Boston parties a lot. St. Patricks day, Independence day, the marathon....Then there is the underlying symbolism that Boston is the birthplace of the Union.

16. Blazza181

A world famous event, broadcast around the world? With many ordinary civilians nearby? Seems like a prime target to hit. Despite the seemingly low death toll (which is still significant, however) the US has been shown as vulnerable, and now everyone is running around scared. The effects of the attack are meant to go way beyond the injuries caused to those there.

EDIT: Also, whilst we're at it, look at some of the bickering going on at the moment. The idea on who did it is swinging rapidly from one group to another, alienating many in the process. Whilst this is happening, political bickering is already occurring, with different groups pointing fingers at each other, saying that their system caused this, or they're trying to limit freedoms. People are creating fake accounts for the purpose of getting followers, like @_BostonMarathon. Frankly, it all looks a bit farcical of you ask me. Divisions are being shown.

Now, total kudos to the police officers, medical staff and the like, who are all trying their hardest to make Boston safe and healthy again, but sadly the acts of a few are spoiling it.

17. Matticus

Matticus ...

Ah, you are right about the target then. Picking this up a little way into it and only really hearing the details of the event, I didn't realise it was patriots day.

I think what feels strange is that a relatively small amount of people who caught up in it, so it feels somewhat more personal than other attacks. I think as well that I quite enjoy running myself it has maybe hit a nerve of "fellow runners".

Edit: Allow me to clarify what I meant by strange target. Targets like the whole trader center towers are obvious, not only is there a huge target but these is the politcal target of hitting "Western Culture".

The London bombings were done on the way to work on the usual, British transport systems, the underground and London buses causing people fear in everyday activities, the very basis of life.

This was a relatively small explosion at a large sporting event, it feels strange because it is seems like its purpose was to cause a scene rather than mass murder.

18. Jumeira_Johnny

Well, there was a third device at the first scene. In my opinion, wounding 22 is by far more effective then killing. The injuries are almost entirely from the waist down. So that indicates a degree of planning in terms of effect.

Also, there was a 4th device at a location where there were supposed to be more people. The meeting that was intended to be there was canceled at the last minute.

19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

To me this sounds more and more like domestic terrorism. For foreign terrorist groups, it sounds way too "low profile".

20. Matticus

Matticus ...

Well that is me told :)

I see your point entirely and obviously didn't have all the info. I am not 100% following all of this, just flicking between bits and bobs on various news sites while trying to get some work done after waking up from a much needed nap a few hours ago.

I guess my feeling of it being strange is more emotional, just seeing it all happen. Again running is something I am interested in so has caused me to get a bit more emotionally attached. I guess nothing like this is ever going to "feel right" but to me this just seemed a little more surreal than similar events, it is interesting how some people react to events like this I guess.

Also judging by my typing I need to go back to sleep :/