Motherboards Worth the upgrade or waste of time.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolf5ster, 21 Jun 2013.

1. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Could you please help me would this be a worthy upgrade. (OC and maybe SLI).

Would windows 8 see it has the same motherboard or would I get a Death screen or reboot reboot lal la la?:lol:

MSI Z77A G43 to a MSI Z77A G45 and my PSU is an OCZ 750W ZS and graphics card is GTX 660 SC.

:thumb:

2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Does the '43 only support CrossfireX then?

Your PSU is fine, and SLI kicks ass. Not much more I can say really. The only issue I have had with SLI since January was Far Cry 3. I had to run it on one card for a couple of weeks.

Not that it mattered, I hated FC3 any way.

Oh and I had a '45 (just sold it) and it was a great board.

3. AlienwareAndy

BTW before you ditch your G43...

I would buy the second 660 and try HyperSLI

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2414995

Which may well get you up and running without having to buy a new board. I *might* have some spare bridges around if you get stuck, but they're usually on Fleabay for a couple of quid.

4. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Yes it only supports crossfire but the second lane is only PCI express x4 and I don't think I would see the full benefit of hyper sli.

5. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Keeping the G43 because ive decideded to sell the card and might decide to downgrade my pc a little.

I've been thinking over the last 2 months and even more now EA have decided not to develop the ignite engine for PC + developers are making more fuss over the consoles.

Might seriously think about a cheap FM2 rig or just run off intel HD 4000 and use my 1400 X 900 display.

6. AlienwareAndy

Well that's only down to Nvidia not wanting any one using SLI with a 4X lane. AMD allow Crossfire to run on a 4X lane and plenty of people run Crossfire that way so I can't see how it could be that bad.

7. Uxon

Uxon Minimodder

:jawdrop: Nooo, don't give up on PC gaming, downgrading is usually more hassle than it's worth with the amount you lose selling your old stuff. :p If you're really determined to sell the 660 then you could always pick up an old 2nd hand DX10 card like a GTX 260 for £25 or so, would still be miles better than the intel HD graphics.

8. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

I've decided to downgrade to an older 5770 for the time being and will look towards a smaller build in the future. The CPU for me will be the major upgrade in the future.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2013