Scratch Build – Complete GwassGween -FINISHED-Nov13 2013-pics start on page 67

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 25 Jun 2009.

1. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Looking great Cheaps, But be careful you might actually finish this and then what would you do?

2. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

FTFY :thumb:

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Blame Cheaps for being bored. That's what I would do!

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

[​IMG]

It's so beautiful; like an amazing invention from the future.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I could gaze at that front for quite a while, gonna look awesome in action. :D:rock:

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks.:D
    @Waynio- Me too, I'm wanting to use it, but I'm keeping her pure for the final photoshoot.:lol:
    @Dark :lol:
    @Perplekks -You and your cult!:(
    @Mech - Un-clutter every available storage place in my house. I had parts for this thing EVERYWHERE before it was assembled. Part of the re-assembly was an Easter egg hunt.

7. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

I do love your logs Cheap.

Not so much the acrylic but the logs worth it

8. perplekks45

You know I'm not being serious, right? This is just my way of showing my appreciation for this mind-blowing piece of acrylic awesomeness you've built there! ;)

Honestly, though: what will you do once you finished GG? Any plans? Would be sad if there was no new long-winded, ever-changing, slightly insane, full of inuendo, yet highly entertaining work log from you after this.

9. Cheapskate

@B-neg -Try it. You might like it.:D
    @Perplekks - You thought I was serious?:eyebrow: I already have a part on my mill for a Nuc-related project. Beyond that, I might go quiet while I draw something new up. I have no plans to stop. I have too much free time and junk.

10. Cheapskate

The last construction-related post. Final pics pending...

[​IMG]
    -That looks bunt to me. Flipping the polarity makes smoke then? -huh...
    [​IMG]
    -Y'see, That there's a cooked doo-hickey. (Ow! The mental image.)
    [​IMG]
    -I bought a new pump and swapped the modded base from El Toasty. Here I'm reminding myself how tight the fit for the wires was in the aquarium tubing. FYI: You snake one wire through, then use it to pull the next one through, then tape the head of the last one to the other two and ease that one through the same way.
    [​IMG]
    -Snaking the new pump wires required a slight tear down.
    [​IMG]
    -Pretty significant really. Drain and pull hoses, PSU cover, Top duct, Lower duct, and GPU and motherboard cover.
    [​IMG]
    -Let's take a moment to say thanks to the tools involved in this process: Needle nose tweezers, (for molex tab bending,) a ratchet screwdriver with the handle removed, flex extension, Philip, a drafting pencil with a protractor point instead of lead, (that one's for fan molex dismantling,) a long slice of plexglas for prodding, hooked bell wire for snaking cables, and surgical forceps for grabbin' stuff.
    [​IMG]
    -I made sure I had the wires right this time. You can see the elaborate spiral waterfall thing was a slight failure here. The channels just weren't big enough for the amount of flow.
    [​IMG]
    -It still looks good running, and it tells me the pump IS running.:lol:
    [​IMG]
    -Like drawing on the top would be visible at 4500rpm.:lol: I did it anyway to see how well sharpie handles underwater spinny-stress. I couldn't get a pic of the pump and the CCFL running at the same time. The temp PSU couldn't handle both.
    [​IMG]
    -Hmm, where did he put the switch for the cold cathode?
    [​IMG]
    -At this point it's done.
    Done. -Did I say that?
    [​IMG]
    -Finished? Seriously?
    Yes, It's done. It works. I've used it, and I'm taking fancy pictures for the finale. I hope no one's head explodes.

I hope you had fun. I learned a LOT this time. Although I doubt I'll do anything this elaborate in the future, I do plan to continue building and learning.
    -And I apologize for all the side projects and general progress derailments I had, but I'm sure you enjoyed those too.:D

Thanks one more time to my sponsors:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Feb 2018
    Waynio and La carotte d l'o like this.
  11. La carotte d l'o

La carotte d l'o What's a Dremel?

I had fun and i learned. :)

Nicely done! Im amazed again!

12. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Can't wait for final pictures. :)

13. perplekks45

This can't be! You DID NOT just finish this beauty! Oh sweet Baby Jesus, that I was able to live long enough to witness it! ...

Brillant work, mate! Absolutely stunning stuff that is in a league of its own. :thumb: :rock:

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Big congratulations for completing this beauty cheaps, you started this a year after I joined here so has been like the never ending project log but you finished it woo hoooo, :D look forward to seeing the final shots, would love to see a video of the res in action as well if you can. :D:clap:

edit
    Actually I thought it was 2008 when I joined, d'oh. :lol:

Wow you started this before I joined lol. :D

Last edited: 22 Oct 2013
  15. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

The question should be: What will Cheaps do NEXT?

16. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Oh man this + lights out and some well placed leds = awesomeness.

17. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

66 pages worth of trolls in lingerie, in cheerleading outfits and in gay pride gear, smoldering squirrel nuts & a lot (and I do mean a lot) of other nut-related jokes, hole reaming with powertools and a bananaman stuck in places from it's rear end I must admit it was a heck of a ride :hehe:

Oh and did I mention the awesome talent and ingenuity, the ridiculous amount of effort and endless hours milling, sanding and buffing acrylic and other materials.

All in all it's a heavy, really hard to keep clean box for some components, but it's sooo worth it :thumb:

Hopefully we'll see the final photos soon.

Darkened

P.S. You mentioned TribalOverkill @ page 16 and at least once after that. Do you happen to know what's happening with him? All I can remember is that he was really, really good, but he backed out from modding for some reason.

18. OrangeClockwerk

OrangeClockwerk Clockwerk Industries

hell yeah cheaps!

19. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Congrats Cheaps :thumb: really a great ride and a great looking build. Now for those final pics. :)

20. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys.:D
    @Waynio - Vid would be pointless. It's not dancing or anything. I'll probably get lines in the bottom of the res where the water runs down it's so consistent.
    @Nutman - Clean up the mess. I'm still picking up stuff related to the build.
    @Hukkel - 2 LEDS in the whole thing.:lol: It made life soooooooo much easier.
    @Darkend - Forgot the trolls.:lol: You missed a whole page of squirrel death that the mods deleted. Last I heard he got married and bought a BIG house. He changed his user name to Charles~something near then. I hope he's doing well too.

As for final pics, I'm working on it!!!!