TV Shows Anyone else excited about this? (Game of Thrones)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pookeyhead, 18 Jun 2010.

1. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

************WARNING************

Beware looking online for any info on S4Ep2 before watching, there are major spoilers out in the open with no warning about content. I've just spotted two on IMDb that give away a real biggie in the title of the spoiler itself. I've read the books so its not a surprise but for those of you who haven't and don't want the surprise ruined be wary of what you read and you need to watch it ASAP as I don't think this one will stay quiet for long.

Oh, and yes I am aware of the irony of warning against online spoilers online.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Most have read the books which is where the spoilers are from in the first place.

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I love how social media just blows up with what has happened and spoil things, but they're all soo surprised. I've offered my friends my books to read and they all just say the show is "too good", and one of them actually couldn't understand why I would read books when it's on tv. I just laughed, their loss.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Oberyn is known as the Red Viper of Dorne. He's lethal, and 100% threatening. That's why the Lannisters are taken aback when he turns up at Kings Landing, when they're expecting his brother, Doran, who uses brain over brawn. He should be wearing bronzed armour at all times, just to ram this violent presence home.

Instead, HBO cast his first scene in a brothel, wearing some gold silk robes...

5. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

So glad litte Joffers is dead.
    < Today's episode spoiler
    I have bought the books I just can't muster the strength to bash through them as of yet, perhaps when my exams are over!

6. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

I think it's ok to talk about the current episode without spoilers, right? I mean, it isn't anyone's fault if someone joins a discussion without having seen the current episode.

Anyway, to paraphrase a comment I saw on facebook, never go to a Game Of Thrones themed wedding ;)

7. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

It was a interesting episode, though quite slow again- so many brakes on sky, may just wait till it has aired and watch in on demand.

8. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I reckon the series is like a chess game, its currently positioning its pieces and then it makes its move.

Amongst the things I'm looking forward to are Prince Oberyn accepting the challenge, the reason Davos learns to read and Stannis taking a trip. I'm assuming we will find out in series 4 if a certain individual really does s**t gold.

Re the books, I think that some of the later books do have a bit too much padding in them, either that or I'm just too impatient to get on to the next major set piece. Its a bit odd the way the books backtrack for a bit but I do get it. Oh and BTW Mr Martin, HURRY UP AND PUBLISH THE NEXT BOOK!!!

PS Good riddance you obnoxious little toad!!

Last edited: 15 Apr 2014
  9. Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer Minimodder

Pleased the obnoxious little git is finally dead, payback for Ned Stark in my eyes!!

I was pleased to finally see what has become of Theon Greyjoy (had been wondering for a while now) last night, still no sign of his sister though, reckon its going to get messy when she turns up.

Tyrian & Jamie Lannister are getting more and more interesting and likeable with each episode (Tyrian has always been fun to watch regardless), looking forward to seeing what unfolds with Brienne and Jamie.

Interesting episode last night, only gripe is wife has to watch it when its on and the bloody adverts, an episode is roughly 40 - 45 minutes long and it starts 9pm and finishes 10.10pm, adverts every 10 minutes

10. megamale

megamale Minimodder

Finally managed to watch the first two episodes yesterday. A bit slow but as was pointed above they seem to be setting the scene for incoming big stuff.

I am also realising how much plot I have forgot in a year and I find myself going back and forth between the episode and the GoT wiki. I am wondering if I shouldn't just re-watch everything (or read the books...)

11. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Liked the little cameo from Jonsí from Sigur Ros.

Good episode and he suffered. Brill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. October

October Mariachi Style

Finally got round to watching the first two episodes, so much more enjoyable to watch when you don't know what's coming! That was awesome! Genuinely didn't think he'd actually die, brilliant.

Also, I avoided this thread because obviously tv related spoilers lurk within but could everyone please stop the thinly veiled plot hints from the books? I get it, the superior race reads the books but as this particular thread is about the tv show could we keep the conversation at the same pace? I haven't time to get caught up on the books these days, theoretically I'm still in the middle of the Wheel of Time...

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Game of Thrones interactive map.
    http://quartermaester.info/
    If you don't want spoilers i suggest you set the slider to how far you have watched or read.

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

What has happened to Baelish's accent? Sounded like a totally different person.

They're good at ending the episodes on a cliff hanger, :D, even though I know what's coming, I still always moan when they end where they do, :D

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'm getting increasingly annoyed by the TV show at the moment. The books are a wealth of material which is being increasingly ignored, instead they are fabricating new material that I feel is inferior. Subtlety is being removed and the entire thing being dumbed down for idiots.

- The purple wedding has had everybody admitting their roles within about 30 seconds of the event. Are the TV audience that stupid that things need to be explicitly explained?
    - What the hell is this nonsense at Craster's Keep? Why is Bran there? Why is Jon going there? Why is the guy who cut off Jamie's hand at the Wall? Why is this crap necessary at all - the books had enough action without this made up threatening stuff that serves no purpose
    - Why is Gilly in Mole Town?
    - Why was Sansa's hairnet changed to a very obvious necklace?
    - Why do they feel the need to ruin the books by showing how the White Walkers get new members? This is stuff that GRR Martin hasn't even covered yet.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2014
  16. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

The show has gotten popular and their are always bound to be changes to appeal to the wider audience.

It was not a bad episode and while certain events where changed and things explained sooner then expected it did end differently, nothing wrong with something new as it does stop those who have read all the books knowing exactly what will happen.

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Changes from book to TV are to be expected, as they are different mediums. However, fabricating entire new plot lines, new characters and twisting existing ones to the extent that is happening is almost stopping the TV show actually telling the story of ASOIAF. They should have at least followed the broad outlines of the plot, rather than just making **** up for the sake of it. Why exactly did we need yet another episode of
    rape
    ?

18. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

I'm with you Cei!

Although at the rate they have accelerated some plots, it was inevitable that they were going to have to make up heaps of stuff.

all that stuff with bran / jon/ crasters??? What? I can only assume Jon and Bran will be re-united only for an mega teary separation! Or Coldhands will rock up and butcher everyone saving Bran and Jon turns up to find a heap of bodies.
    Margery sneaking in to Tommen's room? Dialogue about the Queen of thorns being great in bed? WTF?
    Also they have covered Daenery's story from 2 books or so in about 20 minutes of screen time!

I found myself in parts of Episode 4 thinking - this has turned into medieval Eastenders...

19. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Still has good production value, but I'd agree that it's getting further and further away from the books. I realize Danery's is important, but compared to the books, she seems much older than she should be, and it's moving much more quickly. In the books she's a lot more indecisive, and her parts are a lot slower / drawn out.

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I'm loving it from a stand alone made for TV series.
    Never read the books, have no intention of doing so as I can't get into fantasy when reading.

But I feel your pain, I would place it somewhere akin to casting Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher :jawdrop::duh::sigh::nono::eyebrow::waah::eeek::wallbash: