HTPC I want this cute little PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 4 Jul 2014.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

[​IMG]

Gigabyte GB-BXi5G-760

This little badger measures 59.6 x 128 x 115.4 mm, has a full fat GTX 760, a decent CPU and has expansion slots for 2x SODIMM DDR3 as well as a 2.5" drive and a mSATA drive. PSU is external. I don't know how much it'll cost at the moment but I reckon about £400, though no RAM or storage is supplied with that.

So cool! Something that'll eat almost everything at 1080p - far better than the offerings from the console crowd IMHO. I want to stick a 2TB HDD and 512GB mSATA drive in there and have it as a LAN party PC (not that I go to those kind of things). Alternatively I like the idea of having a TV in the bedroom so I can lie in and play games on those lazy Sunday mornings.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Looks awesome! I'd expect more like £600 as the CPU/GPU alone will come to at least £300! It'll still bash the new consoles when it comes to power though!

Its VESA compliant too, so you could mount it on your monitor for a lovely clean setup!

Would love to see the internals. Good find!

EDIT: Found

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Oh that is a rather lust-worthy little PC.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

That's great ! Hoping it's not too noisy / hot.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the cpu is a dual core with HT = an i3 for desktop ....

and the R9 version had a mobile chip so I think faugusztin is spot on

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I think this is a lovely little thing, but it's just a little bit too hobbled for me to consider replacing my existing ITX setup.

If it were possible to cool a full fat i7 and 780 in this form factor without destroying my bank account I'd consider it though!

Ironically, with no R&D budget restrictions we'd already have something like that available now, albeit at a premium price.

8. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Watercooled, I reckon it's possible! If it just ships with a little more room in the case, then they could just send it out with quick disconnects on the casing for hooking up to an external radiator etc!

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

While not for gaming, I saw this article on Hexus yesterday and thought the same thing.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I hope it is a full 760 as that would be the deal breaker for me. If they do put in a 760M, I'd have to question why not an 860M instead.
    I spotted that too somewhere the other day. I can see it being handy for office environments housing admin staff and the like (MS Office, web browsing etc.).

11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Looks like a NUC to me, slightly modded NUC, but a NUC no less.

Sam

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Still want it?

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I wonder how the throttled 760 would compare to a 750ti in a well ventilated environment, and in the Brix box instead of the 760.

14. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Well that's a shame, good thing I didn't like the green anyway.

I wonder if when these things become fair popular/common more games developers will take PC games a higher priority over consoles? I can only see the prevalence of these as a good thing.

15. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i would imagine that the 750ti would acually perform better. its lower power draw and heat output would mean it wouldnt need to clock down anywhere near as much, giving overall better performance

i imagine the 750ti was ment to be included here, but marketing department stepped in with the demand of MOAR POWER!!!!

anyone could ( realistically ) test that by clocking a 760 down to that level, calculating its heat output / power draw, then locking a 750ti to that power draw / heat output and re-testing it

it would mean having both cards and a whole day of testing to prove gigabyte made a balls up...but to some people it would be worth it

16. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

It's so tiny, but dem throttles. Not good!

I wonder if a 750Ti would have been a better choice?

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

they should have used the 760M - 203mhz throttled is horrendous

the A10 version didn't throttle and was much much faster

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Goood find Parge!

In answer to your question: no, not any more. I was expecting it to be a little loud but they really need to sort the cooling out. As Harlequin says, those throttling figures are absolutely awful - based on personal benchmarks from my lappy you're looking at a ~70% performance hit. Forget a 750 ti (though it would be nice), an 860M would perform far better in the long run.

Still, I wonder if someone will take one apart and do some custom cooling job. Replacing the thermal paste alone will probably have a significant effect and if Galaxy may/is doing a single slot version of the 760, I see hope for this yet.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2014
  19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I hope you are wondering and not wandering :). And no, thermal paste swap will have no effect. The problem is that the cooler is too small for the thermal output. You need to increase the cooling potential by a magnitude or decrease the thermal output. That cooler can handle maybe 40-50W TDP, and they are pumping 100W+ through it.

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

It was a friend's wedding yesterday - just be amazed that my post makes sense, let alone being free of spelling mistakes ;).

You're right but even so, the few degrees you eke back from reapplying the paste could stop the throttling being so severe. I really am starting to wonder why they even bothered sticking in a 760 now.

Oh well, stick it in a bowl of fluorinert and see what happens!