News Nvidia sued over GeForce GTX 970 specifications

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Feb 2015.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

So your logic is: it was an excellently performing card that you were really happy with. But you sent it back anyway, and are settling for piss-poor on-board graphics because you worry that in a few years' time you may not be able to sell this card for as much as you'd hoped. Because someone who buys a several-year old, second-hand card is really going to care about the number of ROPs or its exact memory architecture more than about getting value for money. :hehe:

Seriously, some people just choose to be miserable.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2015
  2. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

His card, his cash, his decision.

3. Nexxo

...his post, our reply. :)

4. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Well, he's sent it back now.

I'm sure we'll cope somehow. :)

5. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

Every

Single

Day

Just to clarify.....few weeks time....say....hypothetically. Fairly arousing AMD metal comes out...ok?

So...I may have been selling then, maybe....you see that potential?

Bingo Billy comes along on.........oh, I dont know......on ebay for example with 250 squires milling a hole in his pocket (could be a girl....just so we are clear)...sees a 970 for sale......irrationally WANTS it......goes to www.google.com and types in GTX970 in to see what this prize glossy spankathon of a card can do.......

First result.

First.

Result.

[​IMG]

Billy gathers his jaw and inexplicably buys a 3DFX Voodoo 2000 (AGP)

I never said 2 years bud.....i try to jump cards while they are still fresh minimizing the outlay.

What nVidia did was utter elephant turd. Do you think otherwise?

Oh wait..........no.............wait.........

Waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Its all ok.

ITS

ALL

OK

Jen-Hsun explained it.

Yep, I am fine now. BRB......away to get my card back.

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Feb 2015
  6. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

I'm a member of a danish hardware site, where one of the users tested his gtx 970 tri-sli vs a gtx 980 sli. the only time he experienced lag with his 970s, even in normal sli, was when the 980s were suffering as well. None of the cards were able to run BF4 at 4k with 8xAA, not even the GTX980 with its 4gb true-ram.

So to me it seems like it may be a beef from nVidia, but to the normal users this will never be a problem from what I've understood.

7. Nexxo

The kind of person who will snap up a used card as it is phased out by the new model is a canny, cost-conscious consumer. They know exactly what they're buying. They will grab your 970 with both hands laughing at the price they managed to bargain you down to because you had a crisis of confidence over a few abstract figures.

The only damage to the resale value of this card is done by owners devaluing it, dude.

8. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

I didn't devalue anything man....I personally wasn't happy just because of this...nothing to do with the figures...but the unknowns......and the lack of confidence from nVidia......Jen's response today was way to little too late...and its all in my opinion of course.

And the thing is.....they are not abstract figures, they are real.....this was a 3Gb card that they tacked another Gb on to and are now making it sound like a feature. Had i known it was for all intents and purposes....a card that can only really use 3.5 Gb full speed (the rest is pointless) ....I might just have held fire and waited or bought AMD's offerings which are "actually"...4Gb. This was a marketing spin by nVidia.

Releasing an "AMD killer card" with less RAM in an age of ram hungry games?

Neither you nor I know what games are going to do to these cards in the future (near or far) and this could have been an issue.....yes.....could......not definitely.....just could.

The rosy spanky glory was taken from the card and a bad feeling is a bad feeling. An olive branch was stretched out by OCUK and i took it. Now....i can bask in Intel HD glory and wait.

I don't think that's a crime even though a few here i can see take exception to that. I think nvidia bullshatting is tho.

ALL IMO of course.

9. Nexxo

Of course they are abstract figures because before you knew about them you were perfectly happy with the card's concrete performance. Nothing has changed about that performance; only your subjective experience has changed. Because a few numbers have.

What games are going to do to this card in the future is moot if, as you say, you upgrade your card as soon as possible.

It all feels a bit, well, snobbish to me. It reminds me of people who were really enjoying their wine until they learned it was a table wine from Aldi, not a vintage wine from a merchant. If you were enjoying the wine, and you felt it was worth the price it doesn't matter, does it?

10. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

Firstly, we didn't know about the CORRECT configuration. That is what this is all about. And it is only due to some people having issues related to this....that we find out.

If the Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4Gb was perhaps marketed as the Gigabyte GTX970 G1 3.5Gb + 0.5 Gb retardoram then, maybe.

And, I will fix your analogy for you daisy..

If you were enjoying your delectable vintage wine only to discover that 1\8th of the bottle was actually Gary Glitter's piss and that was responsible for the sweet, almost nectar like after taste.

Yes.

I would be a snob then.

That bottle would be in the merchants eye socket.

Next analogy?

11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Feeling rattled by Nex's very accurate analysis, perhaps?

12. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I doubt it. I reckon he's more concerned with feeling mis-sold to than any of Nex's "analysis". :D

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Flawed analogy. You can get that Aldi wine at Aldi prices, you cant get a GTX970-4GB anywhere, only the 3,5GB+0,5GB version.

14. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

No bud......not rattled and analysis is far from accurate I'm afraid.

If I had bought a titan, perhaps

But I bought a "best vfm card"...... Hardly living on Mayfair is it.

J

15. Nexxo

And best value for money is what you got, and you were very happy with it. Then some figures in a spec sheet change, and you're not happy with it anymore despite nothing having changed about that pleasing performance.

(BTW, the name is not Daisy. When I wear my red dress on weekends I'm called Petals. :p)

Last edited: 25 Feb 2015
  16. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

Do you, or did you have a GTX970?

17. Nexxo

No, but if prices plummet because owners are mass-dumping them, I may snap one up! :D

(But just to cheer you up about your on-board graphics situation: I'm still rocking an ATi Radeon X1650 Pro. In AGP.)

18. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

Heck, if prices plummet.............I will be back on that wagon dude.

But that is the point.

p.s. AGP ftmfw.......that interface always looked much prettier than PCIE. :D

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

All this fuss and the prices of 970's still haven't come down. :sigh:

We need more people like Jinjue who are willing to cut their noses off to spite their faces.

20. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

Nice Corky......I didn't cut off anything.......and my face is still intact and if I am being honest...just as gorgeous as ever.

I got my money back.......and I am happy.

Because now I can buy a GTX970 at a bargain basement price thanks. You get yours first though, becuase, you know....you are a big deal and all.