1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other replacing a melted lead

Discussion in 'General' started by silk186, 4 May 2015.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

My fiance melted the lead to our slowcooker and wants to replace it. I'm hoping that I can buy a replacement cable for a lot less than the £20 a new slowcooker would cost as it isn't that old. What would this cable be called and where can I buy one? wall plug on one end and bare wires on the other. If it is too expenseive or the contacts are soldered I may just use some electrical tape as only one of the wires is exposed.

It seems that I can take the plug apart so I actually only need a replacement lead cable.

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

You can get the cable from home base or B&Q. It sounds like you will need to dismante the cooker to replace the cable though, but it should be straight forward enough.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Even wilkinsons sell the wire... it's a pennies a meter... add another ~70-odd pence for a plug [iirc]... it's really not that expensive...

4. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Or grab a spare IEC / kettle lead and cut the kettle part off.

5. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

^^ This would be just fine :thumb:

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

hmm, I might have a spare lead but buying cable by the meter sounds like a better deal. I will open it up and see how it terminates inside.

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

I may have hit a wall, I'm trying to take it apart but the screw on the bottom are turning but they aren't coming out...

8. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I remember when my Dads 2nd wife said she wanted a new kitchen floor ( it was perfectly fine, a nice laminate wooden floor with no damage or marks etc ). He said no, due to it being fine & expensive for a new one.

One day when she was at home and he was at work she had 'accidently' left a bowl of salad in the kitchen sink, covering the plug hole, and turned the taps on full blast and goen to watch the darts on the TV. He obviously came home and found the kitchen flooded; when it finally dried out the floor was wrecked as all the boards had started to curl up at the edges ( delaminating ). He had to get a new floor put down in the end ( good news: they divorced after ~10 years as she was an adulterous, money grabbing whore who forced my Dad to go on expensive holidays that she wanted, and shacked up with a younger guy & stole a load of stuff when she moved out, but that's another story :D ).

My point? If your girlfriend 'accidently' burnt the power lead on your slow cooker, it's because she wants a new one, give up trying to fix it... :thumb:

9. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Well that went all the way into left field in a hurry.

+1 for using an existing lead. The diy ends work, but just look a bit rubbish.

Try to pry the bottom up a bit - sometimes the screws are 'captive' and the bottom will just pop out. Otherwise a bit of tension should force the screws to bite and come out.

10. silk186

silk186 Derp

Fortunately I'm not in that situation. She has anxiety problems and feels electrical tape is not a safe solution. She would be happy if I could get the thing open and replace the cord. Otherwise she would prefer to replace it with the same model as it only cost £20. Today I talked her into the £2 electrical tape solution as the scew spin but don't loosen.

11. silk186

silk186 Derp

The existing lead end has screws so I can re-use it. I will try prying it up to see if that works.

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Please save your anti-female rants for somewhere else. Ta.

13. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Please save your feminazi SJW notions for elsewhere. Cheers ( btw, everything I said was true & 100% factual, so feel free to apologise for being incorrect any time you like & get your sarcasm detector fixed too while you're at it ).

-------------------------

If the melted patch is small or short, you could always use one of these to do a safer 'looking' repair:

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercury-4...e&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=231439780517&rt=nc

Likewise, if the burnt section is longer, just cut it off & add in a new length of cable with a plug using one of those^ again.

14. jinq-sea

Ta-ra for 48 hours. Thanks for playing.

My sarcasm detector is just fine, thanks. You, however, make regular anti-female posts which are entirely unnecessary.

15. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Edit: Gah ninja'd by SuicideNeil's idiocy.

As for the lead, electrical tape will work-ish. I did something similar a while back but found it didn't last that long thanks to the kitchen environment. The tape didn't take too well to being flexed when packed away or the utensil being moved around (was a blender). Maybe my tape was rubbish though.

Last edited: 5 May 2015
  16. jinq-sea

On topic, why not electrical tape and then heat-shrink? Might give a more durable result. Even just plain ol' heatshrink might do it, assuming you can remove the plug?

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

If like the toaster I took apart this morning the screws might not have the usual heads that we all have screwdrivers for. Fortunately I have loads of bits for all sorts of weird and wonderful screw heads. So it might be worth looking at the heads first but that can be tricky if they are sunk in a bit and your eyesight like the rest of you is crap. After getting the right head and taking it apart I discovered that it was a rubbish build and scrapped it.

18. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

19. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

You're being frighteningly sensible today. :worried: Stop it at once! ;)

Not a bodged job and it'd sure save messing about removing screws/risking breaking the housing, if, as you say, there's enough undamaged cable left.

20. silk186

silk186 Derp

I would use heat-shrink if I had a heat gun but as an international grad student my toolbox is incomplete. I will try the electrical tape I bought earlier today. Thanks for all the suggestions.