Education Cats and Cat Flaps.

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 4 Aug 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

For quite a while my cat Millie has come and gone during the day by way of leaving the main door of the block of flats open. And then with a dog chain a modded door chain assembly and some wedges I have managed to have the flat door ajar with a modicum of security.

But I am not happy to leave things like that should I be away as I will be shortly whilst having my man bits interfered with and it is a little awkward placing the wedges for my partner.

So have finally got permission to fit a cat flap and quite fancy this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1VMF53YL384O9 as it is bigger than another one I quite liked the look of http://www.amazon.co.uk/SureFlap-Ltd-Microchip-Door-White/dp/B003EGIM3O

The difference in height size between the top one and the bottom one is 30mm which I feel my Millie could do with as she is a bit of beast when it comes to size.

But I am open to suggestions. By by way how easy or otherwise are these things to fit? Looks pretty straight forward.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2015
  2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

We've got the sureflap for our two cats and it's been fine. Ours are both big muscular toms, the larger of the two is almost 7kg and he has no problem getting through it.

Took them a few days to learn that they have to wait for the click before the door is unlocked but they had a non-chip cat flap before.

Fitting is easy in a plastic, metal or wooden door, tape the supplied A4 fitting instructions sheet onto the door and mark through the paper onto door for the drill holes, drill the holes and then use a jigsaw to cut between the holes. It then screws onto the door.

Ours is fitted into a double glazed panel which was specially made with the cut out, but I fitted it in the last house to a wooden door which was easy.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just been talking to a customer rep at Sureflap and he sent me a PDF with an actual template of the opening but at 142mm by 120mm it does seem small. The Catmate is an extra 30mm in height which does look far more comfortable.

Which Sureflap model did you get as I see they do three models?

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It is the size that I am really concerned about, your Stay well is far to small. I think I will need to move away from microchip control and look at electromagnetic or just a push open cat flap.

6. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Our cats are always losing their collars, so it would be a waste of time getting anything too fancy.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Millie is pretty good with collars has not lost one yet but that is probably because she seems to have mane to match a lion and the collar is buried amongst it.

The electromagnetic ones are reasonably priced around £45 a decent sized micro chip controlled flap is around a 100-300mm quid which is far too much.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

We have the Sureflap Microchip one and it's fantastic. Easy to fit (you don't even have to cut it straight, the edges of the flap cover up minor wobbles), and the batteries lasted for 9 months with a single cat who's in and out like crazy all day. We have quite a big Tom and he fits easily.

It's also very reassuring for the cat if they're a bit nervous, as they can sit on the inside looking out at another cat knowing they can't be followed. :D

9. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Just the normal model catflap, wasn't worried about size at all.

It's easy to test... cut the same size hole in the side of a cardboard box and put a treat inside, you'll soon see your cat hop through with ease :)

10. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

like taking wedding rings off. I think your cats are cheating on you with another human :eeek:

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sureflap sent a hole template and after cutting it out and trying it on my rather bemused cat it was pretty obvious that she was never going to fit through it . I like the pet door which is a nice size but at a 100 quid it is a bit expensive.

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Your cat must be massive it she can't fit though the normal size one!

edit: saw the pic you put up, she would easily fit through the normal size sureflap.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2015
  13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I can assure you that she would not go through the basic Surflap. When cut out the hole template is tiny. So sent the partner onto the streets and now can afford the Sureflap pet door which I am far more happy with the size. Plus being microchip control it will work fine when we take in two kittens shortly and they are eventually chipped.