News Microsoft unveils Surface DisplayCover prototype

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Aug 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

While I believe it is nothing more than a gimmick, it is one that I would be happy to have, that is, once they improve the quality of the 'E' screen. I would want it to be full colour and have a decent refresh rate as that current version not only looks awful but seems slow and cumbersome.

Still, seems to be a nice innovation and may be something to look forward to in future.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

We have that already; it's called 'LCD.' You want a high refresh rate and full colour? You need lots of power. You want low power? You ain't going to get a high refresh rate and colour. The closest you'll come is Sharp's Memory LCD, as seen in the Pebble Time smartwatch, which is 64 colours and a reasonable refresh rate - but, unlike electrophoretic displays, requires power even when displaying a static image (although much, much less than a traditional active LCD.)

4. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I like it - certainly adds to the functionality of the surface devices...