Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Even better, looks like I'll be moving house to a place that can get virgin 1Gig... Or plusnet 500Mbps...

IanW and Weekly_Estimate like this.
  2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

PTU has entered "Wave 3" == Open to all players

Weekly_Estimate and Bloody_Pete like this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What does this add?

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Latest 3.18 Patch notes

TL;DR:-
    • New racetracks
    • Fixed support for ultrawide monitors
    • Salvaging
    • Sand caves
    • New shipwrecks
    • More missions
    • Arena Commander QoL updates
    • More "Persistant Entity Streaming"
    Plus it gets us closer to 4.0 which adds the wormhole to Pyro.

Note that if you haven't played a PTU before, it's an entire separate install of the game.
    But you can just rename your "LIVE" folder to "PTU", then validate, and then back when the PTU gets pushed live.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2023
    Bloody_Pete and Weekly_Estimate like this.
  5. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Playing the PTU, thanks for the renaming tip that'll come in handy!

Wanted to set my homebase to ArcCorp to be close to Lyria, landing success? learned after holding N autolands, lol
    [​IMG]

Bloody_Pete and IanW like this.
  6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If you want to keep both versions installed, simply copypasta into the same folder and rename instead of just renaming.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Do you know how long it'll be public for?

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

CIG have only one deadline for SC patches - "When it's ready", so we'll only get a few hours to a day or so notice of it going to the live servers.

I monitor the MotD on their #sc-testing-chat channel on Spectrum (The game's own forum & chatrooms)

For example, today's reads "(Thor's Day) We are currently intending on releasing a new PTU build later this afternoon* with many..... many crash fixes. This may be a bit later than normal for a release but will update when closer!"
    * "this afternoon" means around 10pm-midnight UK time, as releases are controlled by their Texas studio.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  9. Weekly_Estimate

Figured I’d spend the day bounty hunting and working on my racing skills, although on the tram bumped into some randoms and went salvaging instead!

Ridiculous how big this space brick is!

[​IMG]

behold salvage

[​IMG]

breath-taking views

[​IMG]

Valuable space junk

[​IMG]

In about 30 minutes we netted 182k worth of materials, had two of us piloting, scanning, and salvaging the goods, another guy packing the crates and in the process reported a couple bugs to the issue council.

Bloody_Pete, IanW and Pete J like this.
  10. Weekly_Estimate

3.18 released to PSU, obviously had a bit of a delay, but its running as smooth as butter!

11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Given the size of the install, my storage woes and lack of time to sort them soon, my only option is a hard disk (as opposed to solid) if I actually want to get involved any time before the turn of the century. What are you running from on your side?

Also, I might have to hit you up for some tips or teamups at some point once I'm up and running...

12. Weekly_Estimate

I guess if that’s your only option there is no harm in trying?

CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    GPU : Zotac Gaming 4070ti
    SSD : WD BLACK SN770 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E GEN4 SOLID STATE DRIVE
    RAM : Kingston FURY Beast RGB 32GB (2x 16GB) 5200MHz

More than happy to team up when you're in the game, and run some missions with you :) when you first load the game and hit the launcher screen hit add friend, my username is 13ens.

13. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Hey all. Not been in chat for absolaute ages. Whats happening with Bit-Sec?

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  14. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

The digital hay bails are blowing through it. Are there any active members?

It was a nice idea back in 2012/2013. A decade later, bit-tech has finished, the lives of bit-sec members have probably changed dramatically, and we are less sure than ever that the game will ever be realised.

I am hoping for an investigative journalist to take up the baton and go deep on the project. I'd love that documentary, film or book.

I just cannot see how it will not be the Duke Nukem Forever to end all Duke Nukem Forevers. The engine they used has limitations and is over a decade old, and is getting older. Forgetting other aspects of the codebase. The single player campaign release date is approaching a decade late. Goalposts have changed in that time. Last I heard they are adding physical abilities that you need to "level up". Total afterthought. You have to ask yourself why? Is it because, after 10 years in the making, its dull or doesn't work? Probably both.

Every time I have logged in (last time around a year ago), nothing fundamental had changed. It is like experiencing a running simulator with NPCs standing on chairs, full of bugs, an eerie soundtrack and a general process of confusion. This was true in 2016, 2018, 2020 and 2022. It will go on being true. Yet they keep getting record funding. A toxic relationship if ever I saw one.

The development roadmaps are complex oddities. So it is very hard to say where they are developmentally as a project (which says it all).

Perhaps someone actively playing the game can speak more about the state of the game currently?

Last edited: 27 Jul 2023
    bawjaws and Pete J like this.
  15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You summed it up perfectly.

16. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Snake Oil
    Biggest con job in the history of gaming.
    Awaits Netflix documentary.

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Less running simuklator, more commuting simulator. I played few hours a few months back, its playable enough, no major crashes, there's just not much to do. You need third party website to plan trade routes (not a good start), the differnece in war speed from my fighter to my missile gunship is huge, the gunship goes litterly 10x faster, so in some craft you'll be waiting 10's of minutes to get between the planets. Persistence is minimal, resets happen randomly. The ship upgrade UI is a broken mess, just equipint weapons and armour on characters is a challenge. I

ts a beautiful game, if you have good rig fire it to just to admire it. But thats it, and so many ships are really expensive, and with no real way to earn credits, its like GTA5 Online, amazing things to experience if you stump up real money to pay for them...

N17 dizzi likes this.
  18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I really hope someone does. It would be a big hit.

Especially Ortwin Freyermouth and Chris Roberts relationship and history.

The whole thing stinks at this point. Stinks to high heaven.

bawjaws and SuperHans123 like this.
  19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Absolutely. It has stunk for many a long year tbh.

20. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

No part of me thinks it was ever a conscious scam or fraud however, the fact they are still taking millions for it now seems deeply unethical considering the state of it.

I have had a few personal interactions with a key developer from the kickstarter days. He is no longer directly involved with development but still does some writing . He has stated to me that it is the production side that has really suffered, but all they key people on the project had good intentions. I fully believe him, he is a good guy. I also spoke with Erin Roberts in Manchester some years ago. These are not scammers, but developers from a bygone era that simply did not know what they were doing and being led by someone who gives little thought and time to feasibility studies.