Modding Modding power tools

Discussion in 'Modding' started by yogi6994, 15 Aug 2012.

1. yogi6994

yogi6994 What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone here at bit-tech!!!!
    This is my first post here and I don't known if this is the right place to post this, if it's not I apologize!
    My dad has a black & decker set of power tools, the problem is: the battery life on them sucks!!!
    So I want to wire them so that they can be plugged into the wall outlet and work that way, instead of the battery.
    I can use all the help I can get, so any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated :D

Thanks again for reading my post!!!

P.S. I love the modding forums :thumb:

2. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

as a rule battery power tools uses 12-18V DC. and in wall outlet You have 220v (or 110v) AC.
    so You need power supply unit to fed tools with adequate voltage (+/- 0.5-1V is OK IMHO) and more important adequate wattage (+15-25% desirable).
    for 12v tools typical 350-400W PC PSU will be OK
    for other voltages one have to make/buy PSU

3. yogi6994

yogi6994 What's a Dremel?

So all I need is a PSU and to wire the tools and I should be good to use them?
    Also how would I figure out wich wires to use? Thanks for the help :)

4. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

for using PC PSU:
    -make sure that Your power-tools uses 12v (as a rule written on battery)
    -make sure that PSU can draw desirable power on 12V - see tool and PSU specs
    -disassemble battery pack and solder +12v wire (yellow, better from 4-8 CPU connector) for "+" and black from same PSU connector for "-". one can lengthen wires with appropriate wires 14-18AWG
    -attach disassembled and soldered battery pack to powertool and You ready to rock
    -to turn PSU on shorten green and black wire at 20-24 pin connector for MB with paper clip, for long term use - solder rocker switch to green and any black wire from 20-24 pin connector.
    make sure for proper wiring, soldering, isolation etc. all modification on Your own risk etc.