Windows Format only the OS partition? Help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 18 Jul 2005.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Im formatting my hardrive, but I have around 40gb of data i want to backup and keep.

I have 2 partation on my hardrive both around 60gb, one with the OS and all programs etc, the other for music/movies/downloads...

Now i want to format and reinstall only the OS partiation and keep the second partition in tact (saves me making 101 backup CDs)...

is this possible?

1) It's been suggested i use multibooting - i install a fresh copy of XP on the second partition, startup on it, and then simply format the original partition form windows. However does multi booting work for 2 of the same os? as its useally used to say run linux and windows.

2) If i simply boot up with the windows cd as you would normally, is there a way to format on the single partition or will i lose both?

3) anything else u can suggest?

Help much appreciated!

Last edited: 18 Jul 2005
  2. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

I haven't used XP much but with other versions you should be able to format just the partition you whant to use.

This will keep your second partition intact.

Meblin

3. Comg33k

Comg33k What's a Dremel?

Your data will be saved on the other partition because it's already been formatted with a filesystem and cannot be harmed unless you do something to it.

Yes you can. You can actually do it on the same partition! But it's not recommended, because well you know all the user data and stuff is stored on the primary OS install. The boot.ini (in your root directroy of the C:\) is the file that can process multibooting. In here you can see how it works with which OS it can load by selecting a partition on the system.

Yes, but only to install an OS on(Don't believe there is just a plain format tool), don't be afraid of Microsoft's blue bootup screen! It will setup everything you need for your new install. it's the only partition utility I use besides working in other OS's like Unix or something...

No not really. Maybe buy another hard drive for better backup usages(for if your hard drive fails, with all your backup stuff on!)

4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

thats what i was hoping, but cing as the partition i want to refomat contains the OS i wasnt sure it'd be so straight forward. Boot-disk and standrad formatt will allow me to keep one partatition as it is then?

5. logan

logan flashback!

Full method for removing just the system partition using the WinXP install CD:

Whack the Windows XP CD in and boot from it as normal.

First prompt will be asking if you want to set up windows or repair etc.
    Press Enter for "Set Up Windows"

Then you get the Licence agreement.
    Press F8 to agree - after reading it of course! :D

Then you'll get a screen saying that it has found an existing installation of Windows XP, and ask if you want to repair it.
    Press ESC to say you don't want to repair it

Now you'll be presented with a list of partitions available to install windows onto.
    Select your system partition (normally C: ) and press "D" to delete it.*

Now you can Select the free space and press Enter to install Windows onto it.

(disclaimer blah: I have used this method loads of times with no problems but will not be held responsible for any data loss incurred by following these instructions)

*IIRC if at the "Select Partition" stage you just choose the C: drive and install windows onto it it won't format the drive - just install windows over your old installation - retaining program files etc. this is sometimes useful for repairing a corrupt installation of Windows but may not have the desired effect (some programs/drivers/other may not work anymore...)

Tags: