Modding GBA LCD Voltage

Discussion in 'Modding' started by TehCheckt, 20 Jul 2005.

1. TehCheckt

TehCheckt What's a Dremel?

Well in my right now I have a GBA, I plan on breaking it open by smashing it on the back side because I don't have one of those Nintendo screwdrivers (don't worry lcd is padded up). Now before I do this I need to know what the voltage of the screen is before I regret what I just did.

Edit: I'm thinking I should've put this in electronics.

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

the fact you're smashing it open raather than grinding down a spare screwdriver to size to open it worries me greatly, and makes me wonder about the rest of your skills.

3. RegularChaos

RegularChaos What's a Dremel?

first of all use the :search: ! there is an LCD sticky somewhere that has a link to all the information for GBA lcds. Unfortunately it is probably not worth your time to open it up because it is not easy to connect a GBA LCD to a PC (if thats what you intend to do)

4. Above All Laws

Above All Laws What's a Dremel?

he would be breaking it open because GBA uses a special type of screw that can't be opened unless you pay for it. Online it usually costs 10 dollars to get the screw. Not worth it.

5. TehCheckt

I have thought about grinding down a regular screwdriver to do the job, but I feel smashing it works better for me..or not. I do not intend to hook it up to my PC at all. Also Fod I wouldn't worry too much about my skills I mean this isn't really the method I use, in fact it's the first time I tried smashing something open to get what I want. What I plan on doing is building something like they did on Systm episode one just on a smaller scale.

6. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

well if i were u i would not smash it up and open it carefully, switch it on then test the voltage accross the LCD using a multimeter.

well there are alternatives to breaking it appart- such as making a screwdriver head that fits, just because you dont have the exact screwdriver doesnt matter, for instance u can undo torques with a flat head. or he could drill out the screw.

7. TehCheckt

problem is I don't have a multimeter I know these things can be really helpful, but at the moment I cannot afford so that's why I'm asking you guys. My assumption was 3v maybe 5v

8. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

your trying to mod something that involves electronics and u dont have a multimeter :eyebrow: do u have any expericane with electronics?

what are you actuly trying to do anyway? because you havent said.

9. TehCheckt

Yes, I'm not a electronics guru, but yeah I know what I'm doing I'm just too n00bish to have a mltimeter :waah:.

10. Jhonbus

Jhonbus What's a Dremel?

1V or 1KV, it's probably not gonna matter too much once you've smashed the crap out of it with a hammer. I'd suggest waiting until you have the necessary tools before starting the mod. Especially a multimeter, they're really not that expensive when you think about how useful they are.

11. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

still havent awnsered one of the more important questions i had.

what are u actuly trying to do????

we cant help you unless we have an idea of what your doing. :rolleyes:

12. TehCheckt

I found a pretty ************ one that sells for $15 at home depot, hell if it does the job I'll buy it.

13. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

yeah tri wing screws can be screwed (is that the proper term?) with a flat head that's just wide enough to fit tightly. grind down an old flathead you don't need.

14. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:hehe: lmao :D
    isn't it easier to just get a saw and cut the back off

15. zackbass

zackbass What's a Dremel?

Whenever I don't have the right tool for a screw I prefer to drill the head off the screw. It's much cleaner than smashing it and just as fast.

16. TehCheckt

I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to use the LCD screen maybe just a display type thing for a future project, I don't intend on using it for my computer since I have no need to. I did manage to get the thing open though I used a oldering iron and just burned the plastic around the screws and popped them out. Everything still works just fine and I plan on testing the voltage on the screen soon once I get a multimeter.

17. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Out of curiosity, how exactly do you plan on controling the LCD?

18. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

omg do you love abusing tools?

you used a soldering iron to burn the plastic! :S

19. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

lol this was the one i was going to ask. but tbh i dont realy think he knows wat hes doing so didnt bother :D