Windows Older gamers

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Skutbag, 25 Jul 2005.

1. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Just read this post over at a certain large gaming website....

http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy/topic.asp?fid=1422&tid=1706667

Its by some 40 year old guy who feels like his peers look down at him because he plays computer/console games. This made me think, despite the growing hype every year, and mounting profit vs gameplay conflicts in the gaming industry...I'm still going to be gaming on my zimmer/dialisis machine/deathbed. And I can't see why anyone in the next 20-30 years will have a problem with that.

Think the gaming scene is going to be full of 18-30 year old boys/men for much longer? I say think again. Look at other hobbies and there's almost always a fair age range. Even in sports, the older generation go into coaching, passing on experience and the like. In fact you could say the original gamers were the middle aged guys you saw in Games workshop and the like. There is still a strong heritage of tabletop wargames/rpgs in a lot of modern computer games.

It's just a matter of time....(Oh and for reference, I'm 19)

2. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

well i for one will still be playing games when im old and gray. Although the harware would have changed, but the mods will be evan better! Half-Life 43 powered ZIMMA FRAME :D

EDIT:: thinking about it, well be lucky to get Half-Life 3 before im old and gray :wallbash:

Last edited: 25 Jul 2005
  3. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I'll be playing games and will also still be playing with toys & Lego etc. until I die.

When I was just a wee lad back in SA there used to be this dude in the same block of flats that would come home from work and play tv games all day long, he ruled. Although his wife never did seem too happy about it :lol:

4. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Reminds me of someone I know ;)

5. tetleyex

tetleyex What's a Dremel?

You reckon you could have a type of 'dual-shock'-esque thing built into a dialysis machine, that pumps extra adrenaline, and a bit of cafine into your blood? If so, I have nothing against playing games welllll into my 70's, apart from maybee arthritis or something.

6. tamffc

tamffc What's a Dremel?

well it,s my birthday today and i am 37,so i took the day of work and spent most of the afternoon playing strike at karland bf2 map

7. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

puh, yeah right!
    if valve have their way, our generation wont be able to play halflife 3, itll be our grand kids. who knows how long it would take them to build HL3 lol.

8. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I bow down before thee :thumb:

EDIT: oh and happy birthday :)

9. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

My dad still games quite a bit at the age of 46. Was really surprised to find him playing MoH and CoD recently, he usually just sticks to RTS titles.

I can't see me stopping playing games any time soon, although I am only 22 atm.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2005
  10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

30 and going strong.

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Well, I'm 35 and I've been gaming since the days of the ZX81, and I fully intend to game until the days of the AMD128 40000+ :D
    I'm going to be moving soon, and one of my plans is to use one of the rooms in the new house as my gaming room, complete with projector and big screen, hooked up to PCs and consoles - the wife is happy with that, as long as she can have a room to do her artwork :hip:

12. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:hehe: lol im guessing that will be atleast 10 years away how it's currently going... proberly more like 20 how it's currently going :eek:

Tags: