Windows Any vista beta testers here?

Discussion in 'Software' started by allforcarrie, 28 Jul 2005.

1. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

my only question is do you have the option to run "classic view"?

2. Go4t

Go4t i

it probably will be held till last as its not really "necessary"
    classic Cheesecake!

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Yeah, it will, so that it works on lower spec machines. I'm not a beta tester, but I remember reading that at a decent source...

ch424

4. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

I like options, I also dont like the way it looks. I like windows classic.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ahh jees, you want a 2006 OS to look like 1998. I spose retro is in. :rolleyes:

6. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

yeah Bindibadgi, (vista) ... that crap

p.s. im a microsoft beta(vista) tester... its not fun :p

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

They have it on a couple PC in the machine room, I've just not had the time to pop in and take a look...

8. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

I am a minimalist, why have alot of fancy GUI effects that arn't needed and slow down your computer?

9. TMM

TMM Modder

You can, but it doesn't change it completely (the layout of buttons etc in explorer). It just changes everything to boring grey. I think you can un-lock the toolbars and rearrange them if you wished, but tbh i don't want to boot back into vista atm :lol:

edit:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Aug 2005
  10. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

With todays power house pc's, is it really neccessary to turn of such features? Even my athlon 2000+ pally can keep up.

11. quack

quack Minimodder

I'm sure that disabling the Themes service has the same effect on Vista that it does on XP. I've not tried it yet, but I actually like to use different visual styles in XP/Vista than the boring stuck-in-the-year-2000 unskinned look.

PS: I don't think he wants to turn off the visual style because it makes his PC run slow, he probably thinks it looks all "fisher price".

Last edited: 3 Aug 2005
  12. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

you can but only to a very limited point
    you cant put the file/edit/etc menu where it should be :(

13. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

i don't get why non-developers are using BETA 1, guys your going to be giving yourself a living nightmare.

if you really want to run it, try running it inside an emulator like "Virtual PC"

14. quack

quack Minimodder

I don't know what the hell's happened to Microsoft's UI department. I think they must've gone to lunch and the Windows Media Player team snuck in and played around with the layout a bit.

It's awful!! Why would anyone want the menu where it is? Everyone is used to the menu being right below the titlebar, in every single program you use. I totally hate it. I am hoping all the beta testers hate it as much as me, and complain repeatedly until Microsoft puts it back where it belongs.

15. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i was planning to try XP 64bit anyway, so i tried 64bit vista first
    lack of cd/dvd emulation under 64bit windows made me decide to just go back to XP sp2 tho

16. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Part of the idea of that is from tabs :wallbash:

I was talking to someone today about that, and he directed me to look in IE7, each tab really does need its own file menu (esp when you've got OLE in the mix) so each menu can be differen't.

the UI as it stands is to be showing developers what you can easily do, part of the new features of Vista is the ability to quickly describe app GUI's. If you've made a program for XP you know you have to have a "manifest" in the application. They've taken that idea further, and simplified it.

MS would have no problem pulling a GUI out thats everything you ever liked about XP/NT3.51 or 2k in a week.

17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

so why cant they leave the menu where it is and just change the entries on it depending on which tab is selected
    i mean (and i cant believe im about to say this but.. :() OS X has a communal menu bar that dynamically changes between applications

18. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

because thats messy, changing the menu each time isn't as good as having one for each user, myself in IE7 i've already adapted.

Now my current hatread of tabs is as such, say i have a page in a tab, and i want to move it to another screen, i can't, i have to move the app, so i wrote a piece of software that would let you drag n drop tabs between instances of IE7. With that idea in mind having seperate menus is actually a godsend! (But i still hate tabs, damnit we moved away from MDI years ago FOR A GOOD REASON).

19. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

Virtual PC makes the colors 4-bit... :rolleyes: Same thing with VMware

20. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

wait, users? i thought we were talking about tabs?
    and how does that apply to explorer in vista, it doesnt use tabs but the file menu is still in a stupid place :p

Tags: