Motors Cleaning Under The Bonnet

Discussion in 'General' started by mookboy, 16 Sep 2005.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Anyone got any tips or suggestions for cleaning up under the bonnet?

I've seen pics of people using high pressure hoses for this sort of thing, but that seems a little dodgy to me. I want to basically clean off the built up dust and dirt, and maybe give the metal surfaces a bit of a spit and polish. Hot soapy water? A hose pipe?

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

A hose pipe and a brush will do fine, done it loads of times, but I put a plastic sheet over the engine to stop the water getting into though.

3. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Get yourself some gunk or simlar degreasing stuff and use that (avalible from your local motor factors!)

Pressure washer is helpful but not a nessecity. Hose pipe will do.

4. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I'm guessing there's nowt under there that's gonna dislike being drenched in water then? I mean, it is an engine, and it's not as if it's sealed from the environment...

5. dom_

dom_ --->

steam cleaner for the win

6. koola

koola Minimodder

Steam it :naughty:

7. slater

Theres not anything under there thats going to be damaged by water. It all gets wet in the rain anyway :D

8. Hammy

Hammy What's a Dremel?

or just take it to somebody that steam cleans cars for MOT's ect i am sure they can do under the bonet and know what they are doing

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Um, does your car have a bonnet? Anything under the boonet doesn't get wet becasue it's, well.... under the bonnet!

Excessive water to the engine will choke it, a simple plastic sheet over the engine and a hose to the bonnet along with a brush will do perfectly fine!

10. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

actually water in the air intake or fuel lines will choke it, and water on the sparks will short them... basically.. do you just share a polaroid of a Austin Maxi around the village and ooooh at it when it's your turn?

11. slater

lmao of course it gets wet in the rain! theres a big hole in the front called a grille ffs! not to mention road spray. The engine bay is not close off you know its open so that air can pass though and cool the engine.

Modern cars are waterproofed enough for it not to matter if it gets wet under there. They all have huge inuction systems that prevent water from getting in the intakes and all the electrics is waterproof. If its apetrol you can allways just spray the electrics with some WD40 before you start for extra protection.

If your that worryed do it when its running any water it sucks in will just burn up.(pressure washer only of course!)

12. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Based on all this, would a steam cleaner be the best option? It's a 15yr old Golf GTi, so it's not quite as sealed and watertight as a more modern vehicle. I just want to get all the dust and **** blasted out from in and around the engine and what-not.

13. dom_

dom_ --->

find a garage with one, you wont recognise the engine when it comes back :D

14. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

The engine in mum's car is covered in a specail anti-corrosive coating. Its formulated from 15w40 mineral oil, and North Wales's finest road dirt :D.

Personally i'd use a steam cleaner.

15. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

wd40....

16. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

A bucket, and a cloth... wringed out so its only damp enough to move the dirt.

Powerhosing under a bonnet is just asking for trouble, an engine bay is designed to a degree to cope with water, but forcefully spraying is just dumb.
    Steam Cleaning - Be bloody careful, there is in fact a warning on cars like mine, not to use a steam cleaner because condensation can build up on the coil packs.

17. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

steam cleaning only by a pro, there is potential for damage there, not to mention its pretty hard to find someone with steam cleaner they will let u borrow. the heat loosens all the junk, works real well

pressure washer is not as effective, but itll work better than a hose

the main concern is the pressure of the water/steam on the gaskets between the metal pieces. yes, engines are waterproof to a point. but when u put high pressure water or steam on a gasket you can blow water right into the engine, which i don't need to tell you is not good for it.

gunky engine brite doesnt work all that great if your car is really old an filthy like mine.

Tags: