1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux thinking of migrating

Discussion in 'Software' started by warrmr, 21 Sep 2005.

1. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

ok well my system is up for a fresh install of windows as its clogged to its teeth in spyware adware and all kinds of nasties you get if you just leave your system to its own devices.

AVG installed
    zone alarm installed.

i have no hardware firewall altho i do think i should prolly get my router between my modem and pc to try n protect it abit better. altho there is only 1 system now and not 2 shareing the connection.

so im thinking if i moved to linux im less likley to pick up nasties. like spy and adware that make all those nasty popups. i wont have to run zone alarm as i will have a hardware firewall in place ( my router) and it wont matter that the virus scanner only gets updaterd 1ce a month. i wont have to worry about windows security updates as i can do those when im home every few weeks.

so what version of linux do you reccomend for me. i have used linux before but found it hard to find software use wine ect.

the computers mainley used for internet and MS office. Word and excel then when im home i sometimes play goames on it but i havent recently as its so clogged up with **** it cant cope no more.

i have a copy of suse 8.1 but i need to find some way of emulating windows for my games and MS office as my sister hates open office as she has to relearn how to use it. and i also need to run photoshop. so all help is appreciated. thankyou

2. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I use gentoo. wouldn't recomend it for you..
    your right Linux is still more or less imune to popups adware etc...
    Recoment FC4 Fedor Core 4...
    I use it on my server..
    As for games and windows apps.
    Look into cedega it is a remake of wine so to speak but made for games. PS and word will work with wine and cedega if you really need them. (no comment on a pretty factor)..

alt: Dual boot like i do.. keep windows for games and your sister's word and PS.. then just lok it down tight. as in don't allow internet period except for a few ports for online games if any.. :)
    Ok so the last part was more of a joke.

3. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

If you have a copy of Windows why not dual-boot? I have 2000 on mine purely for games, saves me having to fiddle with Wine.

I hear good things about Ubuntu but havent tried it personally. Its supposed to be very easy to setup and supports most hardware.

4. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

Sorry, but there's no point having anti-virus/firewall if you don't keep them up-to-date. You may as well remove them and free up some resources.

5. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

i do know that its just they only get updated when im at home. and thats not that often. i havent got a computer at my flat as i dont wanna move it out there and i havent even got a phoneline there for the internet so all the internet access i have is via my PDA. ( i live in a flat above a pub)

and haveing anti virus and firewall just seems to slow up the proccess of the system getting clogged up with shite.

6. NoMercy

NoMercy What's a Dremel?

I'm a Debian diehard, but I'd probably recomend Fedora as well if you just want a usable system without much hastle.

A dual boot to windows is a good idea if you want to use wierd hardware (like my webcam), or play games.

7. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

im not really to fond of dual boot. but if it means i have to give up my gameing for a seperate rig then so be it. im looking for a nearly maintenence free rig aswell as a learning curve.

i did have a mandrake dual boot abotu 3 years ago when i was at college .

8. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

im not really to fond of dual boot. but if it means i have to give up my gameing for a seperate rig then so be it. im looking for a nearly maintenence free rig aswell as a learning curve.

i did have a mandrake dual boot abotu 3 years ago when i was at college .

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Don't forget that there's no reason you need to have windows for Office. OpenOffice is a perfectly acceptable version of the software for anybody who's not a true power-user of Excel, it's free, it's updated more regularly, and it's compatible with office files both saving and loading.

I've heard lots about ubuntu, but it's kinda ugly IMHO. I keep looking at debian as an option for me, would just miss the games. :)

10. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

they only reason i said i needed MS office is my sister uses it for school work and she knows what she wants and how to get it in word. as they teach you all kinds of formatting and watsits in word and how to do it.

11. BBurger

BBurger What's a Dremel?

I'll second the suggestion of Ubuntu - just change the default brown theme!

OpenOffice can open MS formats; the shortcuts and stuff are all different, but most of the MSish options seem to be there. (I've never been a word processor power-user...)

As for games, Cedega is payware but supposed to be pretty good at emulating games; Enemy Territory and some other stuff is available in Linux-native versions.

Tags: