Cooling Radiator Cooling ?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xperiment, 21 Oct 2005.

1. xperiment

xperiment What's a Dremel?

During another boring day at work staring into space I began wondering if radiator cooling seen on alot of modded jap cars would be of benifit to my next w/c setup.

Basicly spraying a fine mist of water onto the fins of the raditor. Theory behind it would be that if you point a fan to your face on a hot day it does cool you down, however doing so when your face is wet improves heat transfer no end and cools you down alot more.

Now my next setup will include a twin 120mm fan rad mounted in the top case cover with fans mounted above sucking air from insode the case through the rad and out of the case.

As long as a suitable 'drip tray' was in place and the spray->rad etc was completly sealed from the other components I cant see a saftey issue with the idea.

Just wondering if anyone had used this technique before or seen it done so I could get some ideas surroundind results.

Also the main thing I need a litttle help/advice with would be how to setup an electronicly sontrolled small jet of water mist. More specifically the soleniod/valve needed and nozzel.

Ideas, comments and suggestions would be much appricated.

Thanks

2. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Ive never seen it done the way you suggest, but I suppose its just an interesting take on bong coolers that used to be so popular :)
    Only thing I can think of is isolating it from the rest of the system as you say. It'll raise the humidity of the room too, if thats an issue.
    You may want the fans to be blowing air through the rad, otherwise they'll get pretty wet!

3. xperiment

Humidity aint to much of a problem , pc will by next to a window thats open 90% of the time - ( i like the cold ) - The fans shouldnt get too wet as long as the mist isnt to fine as the 'open end' of the fans would be facing away from the flow of water/mist. - the 'pretty' or front of the fan would be facing the back of the rad. I wouldnt think much mist would make it through the rad to the fans in any case.

Was thinking of hooking it all up to a puch to make switch so that the amoutn of mist could be controlled.

Any water that drips from the rad would run down a channel of plezi to the Res where it came from in the first place so water 'should' either evaporate or srip down to safety.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Adda makes waterproof fans so that is that issue covered. I think it would work, and makes for a rather neat idea, but you'd need to keep the rad well away from the rest of the PC.

5. MiLwOrkZ

MiLwOrkZ What's a Dremel?

i have thought of this my self but in a much larger scale! essentially you are watercooling the water cooling, redudnant yes but capable of being even cooler! my idea was similar but instead i had my radiator in water. so this all had to take palce in a big tank! the water in the tank was circualted through via 2 pumps and then cooled through an ac condeser radiator! this thing was huge! roughly 3' x 2-1/2'. not very lan friendly but the temps dropped 7 degrees C! too much work for not enuf cooling! lol

your idae has alot of potential i hope you make it and figure it out!

6. xperiment

Nexxo - Have you got a lik to the adda fans ?

The rad will be in the top case cover (will be a plexi case). It will be sealed away from the rest of the comp with custom plexi ducting. Hrad to explain - might have to get a scetchup done.

Any ideas on how to create the mist itself - I am an electronics novice but am guesing a soleniod value hooked up to a switch. But would the water need to be under pressure instead of being pumped. (only a tiny amount of water will be needed)

And then theres the nozzel itself - perhaps one taken from a window cleaning bottle or something similar.

7. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Just Google for: "adda waterproof fans". ;)

9. roboBOT

roboBOT What's a Dremel?

You're talking about evaporative cooling. Basically the heat from an object is transferred to a liquid and used to convert it to a gas. I would advise against using water beacause its boiling point is too high. Try using alcohol because it evaporates better at room temperature than water. Isopropyl alcohol from your local pharmacy should work, or you could distill the ethyl alcohol from hard liquor.

10. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Holy crap that's awesome.
    /me runs to Home Depot for PVC

11. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

I just saw a project log of an external box with pump/radiator/mister.
    Very clever actually, the flow of water to the mister was controlled with a carbueretor float bowl valve...

I'm trying to find a link, but that could be tough as I roam around alot.

The builder was claiming a significant drop in temp with the mister working.

12. slavik

slavik What's a Dremel?

that's kinda how nuclear reactors work, except for the freezer thing, they use a lake :)

13. Graffix

Graffix What's a Dremel?

supose you could use one of them automatic air fresheners that are on a timer but convert it to spray water or w/e. should be fine for pc rads :)

14. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

water should do... it will evaporate at lower temps aswell... but not as quickly as boiling water at 100 degrees cecius grade... alcohol will have the fine after effect to make you feel drunk...

15. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Tags: