Modding Deep Thought (the computer from Hitchhikers)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by A z T e K, 25 Oct 2005.

1. A z T e K

A z T e K What's a Dremel?

My friend and I are thinking of making a computer which will look like Deep Thought, the computer in The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

any tips or comments?

2. Kyuari

Kyuari What's a Dremel?

its gotta be big, and fill up 2 rooms hahaha

3. mandy_modded

mandy_modded Minimodder

fog generators might acheive the effect, but not sure the fog would be good if sucked into the case.

would be good to see this done, good luck

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

if you are talking about the film version (which is visually more interesting than the BBC series version), it can be easily done. If you look at its conceptual drawing, you could imagine how you'd put the PSU in the base, with the other components in its big square head (basically just a box). The mouth could house a slot-loading CD-Rom and the single eye on the right could be the power button and HDD status indicator. Or it could be a webcam, and you put the power switch somewhere hidden in the base.

5. c0d3_z3r0

c0d3_z3r0 What's a Dremel?

Or you can add a VU meter on the "mouth" just like the movie, and put the dvd drive on the base, and you can make it stealth so it doesn't show up as easily.

6. Hazchem

Hazchem Minimodder

argh the movie was so untrue to the book and it angers me so. You may risk an involutary flaming if you build it like in the film.

7. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

I'd make the little depressed white guy with the big head instead :hehe:

[​IMG]

8. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

you mean marvin the paranoid android

9. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

...then again, some people may have a life to get on with.

Since the film script was, in essence, written by Douglas Adams, I think you can hardly complain that it didn't stick to the book.

11. TheMightySpud

TheMightySpud Boy Genius

Just for the record, every version of the story is wildly different than the others (Books, Radio Play, TV Show, Movie) and they were all written by Dougie Adams........Series 3 of the Radio show pretty much ignores the Second series altogether, so quit ya bitchin' :p

12. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

The hard thing is making it so people will look at it and say "That's from the Hitchhikers Guide...", you could make it look good, but not many people would be able to identify it unless you were crude and wrote deep thought on it. Concerning fog, I have a mini 12V fog generator from maplins that was about £10, its awesome, you could hook it up to molex and put in a sealed glass container (maybe even a Plex tube and seal it with silicon) so you would not need to top it up, and it would be really unusual. Good luck to whatever you do, please include pictures..

13. MiLwOrkZ

MiLwOrkZ What's a Dremel?

ok you guyz are arguing about the stability of the movie to the book.... name a movie that follow the book closely or even at all..... like nexxo said get on with your life... lol

14. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

you mean like this? Is it any good? I might have to get myself one :D

15. Hazchem

Hazchem Minimodder

yeesh, it's not like I am having a 5 page arguement, alls I said was (jokingly) that the movie was untrue to the book, and you risk an involuntary flaming. There are so many glaring omissions, in my opinion, the bbc series was far better, as not only was it pretty much entirely accurate, it was also filmed when douglas adams was alive and could have input.

16. PHxS

PHxS What's a Dremel?

i'd hate to crowd up the thread here, but I had to reply to that statement first.

Have you read the book Misery by Stephen King and then watched the movie? After watching the movie with my wife one night, a long time ago, one of the first things out of her mouth was about how closely it stuck to the book. Besides, there is so much more that you can do with a big budget, but only so much you can fit into 109 minutes.

A z T e K, don't pay any attention to the aggressive nit-picking. Do what you want, someone will like and appreciate your work.

17. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

see, what's funny is these fools are argueing about a movie, in which over half the script was written by the book's author, then assembled from his various hard drives after he died.

18. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I know..just get over it and get on topic.

To the topic creator, your trying to build the robot and make it an actual computer? I would try to make his skull and body out of a thick foam and skulpt it as well as you can, and then maybe even cover it in bondo and paint it.

19. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

I would personally build it to look like the TV Series' interpretation.
    Something like this: [​IMG]