My pc, "How it likes to eat up all my ram" : (

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fr4nk, 31 Oct 2005.

1. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Ok, This is getting a lil worrying,
    [​IMG]
    "ccApp.exe" (Firewall & Anti virus) (I think :grr: ) Is using like 640MB of ram :eyebrow: , This seroiusly F***ed up, yestaday it was using 5~30Mb but 640Mb thats just wrong :wallbash:. Any ways i restarted and Its still the same. could my recent upgrade (1mbps to 4mbps to 10mbps) from telewst be causing this ?

Im really quite puzzled :eyebrow:

-Fr4nk

EDIT: AV is symantic AV corprate edition, FW is Symantic client FW, No nortan crap. :blah:
    EDIT2: just relised this may well fit into the windows & software forum, feel free to move the thread mods.

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Get a different firewall, sygate Cheesecake!

Otherwise, have you tried reinstalling the program. Your recent upgrade would most likely result in higher activity with your firewall, but not to the point of needing that much memory!

3. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

Description:
    ccapp.exe is a process belonging to Norton AntiVirus. It is responsible for the auto-protect and email checking facilities, both of which will not function correctly if this service is stopped. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: ccapp.exe is also a process belonging to the media.fastclick adware which creates advertising popups on your computer and sends Internet usage information back to it's company's servers. This is a registered security risk and should be terminated immediatly.

The most likely fact is that you have a quite large hdd and a fair amount of 'unmentionable' related software that needs to be scanned. So Norton is scanning in the background? or it's auto-protected ravaging trough e-mail?

(I haven't used any antivirus since 1999, Kasperzky. Tried Norton, Mcafee etc. And I noticed I had more and more virii and worms. Even from 'safe' sites like MSN, Google etc. So I stopped using these antivirusses, and havent had any virus since except for 1 tricky spyware registry hack that hacked my browser.)

4. robbybertu15

robbybertu15 <b>needs a job</b>

42 processes running isn't good either. Type msconfig in the run panel in the start menu and take everything off that you don't want or need from the start-up tab.

5. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Seriously change your anti-virus, I had the same problem. Changed to AVG Free edition and never looked back :)

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Every time someone has had problems with their computer relating to screwed Internet access or low performance, I come over and it's a Symantec product causing the hassle. Replace it with F-Secure's F-Prot or AVG.

7. Peanut[UK]

Peanut[UK] What's a Dremel?

There are some pretty good arguments saying to not bother with any AV or Firewall products. Get a router for firewall protection, and rely on your ISP's virus scanning of email, don't open any attachments you're not expecting, and don't click "Yes" when you see "You must click "Yes" to continue"...

http://support.metronet.co.uk/security/problems/viruses.html

Metronet were my ISP until a few weeks ago, and were very good indeed.

8. Fr4nk

Ok, I found out that its just the FW eating up the ram so what FW should i get instead?

-Fr4nk

9. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Don't use one...the Windows one with SP2 does everything for me...:D

10. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

And doesn't block the Windows Services IIRC.

Sygate for the win, as so excitedly pointed out by Mr. Wonka previously.

11. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Definitely - Sygate is the best firewall I've used :)

12. Fr4nk

Thanks guys :thumb:

-Fr4nk

13. Pistol

Pistol Guest

I don't use a firewall, I'm behind a router and Windows Firewall Service. For Anti-Virus, I use avast! because I like pirates.

Oh yeah, and avast! Cheesecake.

14. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

I recommend anyone using norton or there party of software to ditch it and find other more efficent software out there such as avg when I had norton on my machine it was a pig and start up atleast took a minute longer

15. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Very much so agree, I have told some of my friend's who have norton to remove the firewall as it really does slow down the computer. The auto-protect on the anti-virus is just as bad.

16. Pistol

Pistol Guest

I had the same problem: Norton was a complete memory/processor whore, and loved to gobble up all my resources...even when it was scheduled to run later in the day, I'd experience horrible slowdown compared to what I have with avast!

17. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

Zonealarm free is also a good firewall.

18. RynoRFC

RynoRFC What's a Dremel?

I'm currently running Zonealarm and AVG. Other reccomendations?