Windows Call of Duty 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by LockmanX, 27 Oct 2005.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

the prison break mission in cod1 was amazing though. i liked how diverse the missions were, not standard routine type missions but actual creative missions that did something unique.

2. Blackfish23

Blackfish23 Minimodder

Just found it for £20.49 delivered on CDWOW so just ordered my self a copy. At that price aslong as it resembles anything similar to the demo, then i'll be happy.

:)

3. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Just started playing , it's different to first Call of Duty. The new health system is better than I thought it would be. Really makes you feel as if your in the battle zone.

Runs pretty well here on my 5900xt in 1024x768.

4. buzz_lips

buzz_lips What's a Dremel?

how scripted is it?

5. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

hmm started playing earlier today and finished russian mission so far and seems pretty much the same as CoD :/

6. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Yeah it's pretty similar, nicer graphics. I finished the game yesterday it like CoD is far too short. Although I love the way injured soldier's fire back at you until you finish them off.

7. Peanut[UK]

Peanut[UK] What's a Dremel?

Okay, I apologise in advance for this, but I need to get a few things off my chest relating to CoD2...

If you currently play CoD and CoD:UO, I really can't recommend "upgrading" to CoD2 at all. The only reason I can see is if you've recently splashed out a monster gaming PC, and you want to give it a workout (but then you'd want Quake 4 I suppose..).

CoD2 looks really good. Think CoD, with more polys, bump maps and other clever things going on. And the smoke's gorgeous too.

And pretty graphics are about the only new things this game brings to CoD fans. You pay for a "new" CoD game, you get enhanced graphics, and broken gameplay. All the added features that made CoD:UO so popular (nade cooking, vehicles, large maps (allowing for something approaching tactical play), the promotion system) have gone.

You now throw nades by pressing the middle mouse button. SD maps are tiny, meaning it plays even more like CS. You can throw nades from one spawn spot to another! That'll be fun when the hardcore get the nade tricks right, and wipe out your team in 5 seconds flat.

I am so far hugely disappointed in CoD2 - it's taken the CoD series back to right where it started, not brought more to the CoD table. Vehicles could have been included, and given nice physics models so they handle right. Controls could have been implemented better for the PC (wtf is wrong with being able to select nades to carry about without throwing them? Oh hang on, that'll make weapon selection a little too complicated/slow for Xbox users..).

Improved graphics, more shouting from your AI squads, and re-sampled sound effects do NOT a sequel make. In fact, talking of sound effects, what on earth happened to the distinctive sounds that each weapon made in CoD? Is it just me, or does the Thompson sound like the MG44? And all the semi-auto rifles all sound almost identical! CoD weapons had a weight to them. When you fired the MG44, you knew about it. CoD2 weapons feel more like your mobile on vibrate, some of the time. And why the hell does the PPSH sound like something from "Attack of the Clones"? The new gameplay features, like the health system, (and err.. oh hang on, that's the only gameplay feature that's different from CoD) don't make this a sequel to CoD. It's a re-working of the original formula, that hasn't brought anything new or exciting to the table.

So what's happened then? Cynical hat on - Infinity Ward (a dev house I had high hopes for, until friday afternoon when I played CoD2 for the first time) have simply rushed out a shooter for the Xbox360 launch, that shows off some of the console's graphical power, and ported it to PC. But in pandering to the limitations of a console controller, they've permanently damaged what was a great, and much loved, PC gaming experience.

Mind you, there will be an expansion pack. You can almost guarantee that Activision made IW take some cool features out that we'll see miraculously released within 12 months. Who knows, that might drag this lazy effort back up to the heights it once occupied (while milking another £25 each out of loyal PC gamers).

A disappointed CoD fan,

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Well having now played the Multiplayer for a little while, I have to agree somewhat with the above.
    The maps are too small, there are no vehicles and for TDM the spawn killing just gets on your nerves after about ten minutes.
    And where is my sprint option, I miss that so much :(

Single player is excellent, offeres nothing new to the CoD series, but thats not a bad thing tbh.
    Gameplay is consistent with previous CoD games and is a lot of fun.

9. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Having just finished CoD this weekend, I've got a question for you lot. Should I get CoD2, or just get CoD:UO? From the sounds of it, I'm thinking UO.

10. Peanut[UK]

I should have put a couple of disclaimers in -

1) Not played much of the single player at all, as I was only expecting more of the same. Although everyone's going on about the Pointe-du-Hoc landing mission, so, as Claire Raynor would say, I'll press on.

2) My rig's not fantastic, but I do have an Audigy 2 ZS soundcard, so the sounds aren't borked at my end - IW changed everything (for the worse, imho).

3) What MP I have played has been fun, but nowhere near as good as CoD:UO.

I forgot about the sprint feature - IIRC that wasn't in CoD, came in for CoD:UO, and is now not in for CoD2. They ran out of buttons on the Xbox controller, I guess.

Oh - Inifinity Ward. Some of you worked on MoH:AA. You must have realised that the shotgun, and anyone using it, was HATED in MP games. So why, why, why, why, for the love of all that's holy did you include a shotgun in CoD2? Mind you, it would be easy to hit things if you were using an Xbox controller. I got shot by a bunny-hopping shotgunner yesterday! Something that hasn't happened since I left MoH for CoD! Oh hang on, this is that "poetic justice" thing isn't it?

CoD2 Server admins - please, please turn off the shotguns! I'm going to start an online petition - CoD2 needs fixing! No shotguns! Bring back tanks! And sprinting! And nade cooking (that you ******s added to bring a bit more realism to CoD:UO! Why take it out for CoD2.. hang on.. Xbox users.. of course.. silly me). We want bigger maps! We want sequels to be BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL!

I'm going for a lie down...

11. Peanut[UK]

Depends if you want more in-depth gameplay (CoD:UO), or more of the same (CoD2), with prettier graphics.

12. Knives

Knives What's a Dremel?

The second I picked up this game I couldn't put it down. I've beaten it on normal and am starting on hard now. With my 5.1 turned up, the sound of grenades, gunshots, and the other soldiers made this game very realistic. I made it through most of the game with abolt action rifle and machine gun. I liked the right mouse button zoom when using the bolt rifles. I can't wait to play some multiplayer.

Tags: