News Intel Apple boxes to arrive on June 6, possibly

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 7 Dec 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

I honestly can't wait for the Mactels to be released. From what I've read in other forums, OSX is supposed to run blindingly fast on x86 architecture. Hopefully the cheaper chips will also make the hardware more affordable.
    Maybe I'll actually be able to afford one now :)

3. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

I've seen this theory around the web, but I have one problem with it:

What then, is the new product that will be announced at macworld in January? Steve always brings out something new and cool...

It can't be ipods, because that line is already brand new.... (I suppose something could happen to the shuffles......)

Powerbooks and imacs were updated very recently, and powerbooks are already pretty maxed out on speed.

powermacs (g5 towers) just got a sweet upgrade including faster bus, pci express, dual core....

mac mini and ibook are due for an upgrade, but I don't think a gentle upgrade will be "exciting" and he loves things he can hype.

The xserve absolutely wants an upgrade to dual core g5s, but, consumers don't care about the xserve.

There has to be something big and new, and I see only 2 possible choices:
    intel based mini and/or ibook;
    or
    something not on anyone's radar - something totally new and unexpected.

I think these are equally likely for January.

4. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Could possibly be a home theatre type computer, as speculated in the past. I would not be surprised if that happens. The thought of an HTApple makes me all warm and bubbly inside... *Drool*.

5. DreamTheEndless

Good call -

6. cereal_killer

cereal_killer What's a Dremel?

i just want to be able to run mac os x so i can stop usin crappy windows :D

7. xheadinthecloudsx

xheadinthecloudsx What's a Dremel?

Actually, you can buy a 1.9Ghz upgrade for an G4 iMac - and it's available soon for Aluminum Powerbooks. So, it's always possible for them to get a small upgrade. Word is that Freescale (formerly Motorola's chip division) has had 90nm, higher bus speed G4s available for some time.

Unlikely, but it's a nice thought.

I'd love to have an Apple DVR/HTPC setup, no questions asked. I'll order one blind.

And re: the Intel speculation. I'll go out on a limb and say that, no, you won't be able to buy MacTels after the Expo- iBook, MacMini, or whatever. I just don't see it happening, given that no real software packages have said 'ok, we're ready to go on this whole universal binary thing' (i.e. adobe, macromedia, etc).

What I think is that we'll be shown form factors, or at least demo units that are closer to final than the existing demo units. You know.... it's not finished yet, but in 6 months, this is pretty close to what you'll be buying.

8. I_Slider_I

I_Slider_I What's a Dremel?

Anybody here been testing OS X on their PC yet (non emulated). There's been rumors around that new preview releases of OS X run without a hitch on intel based hardware.

9. DreamTheEndless

Yeah, but you know how Steve-o loves secrets - if there were some big guys ready with universal binaries steve might have asked them to wait until macworld to announce them.

10. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I so want osx on normal machines...mac, can your hardware, become a software and peripherals company.

11. DreamTheEndless

No way - if they did that, who would be left to build perfectly engineered boxes? Who else would have as elegant a mini? Or, the imac g5? (Or, for that matter, the imac g4...)

Apple designs better hardware than anyone else does.

Dell assembles systems (off the shelf box+off the shelf motherboard+off the shelf cpu+off the shelf videocard)
    Apple designs systems...

12. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow:
    they use ibm powerpc processors (intels soon maybe), nvidia (and ati?) graphics cards
    the motherboards and cases are bespoke but then so are dell's
    its just that dell cases are function over form for the most part wheras apple are the other way, one of the reasons im not a fan tbh

13. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

When OSX runs on non-apple made machines is the day the company flops. Supporting drivers for the millions/billions of devices about isnt financialy viable for apple.

I'd be happy with an OSX/XP dual boot for the moment.

Virtualisation is progressing fast it shouldnt be too long before we can run windows programs under OSX at a decent speed anyway. That'd be my dream, being able to switch to a mac and still be able to use my windows programs...

14. DreamTheEndless

Apple was involved in the design of the power pc proc. working with motorolla and ibm.

the G5 (and g4/g3) tower cases are slightly close to "standard" atx, but not really. The power supplies in those cases are certainly not standard.

Dell uses a *******ized atx case and a *******ized atx power supply with a *******ized atx motherboard. The only "design" involved is tweaking the specs for the specific purpose of preventing third party hardware compatibility.

Once you get away from the towers, the computer (hardware) is apple design from soup to nuts - Look at the mac mini, the imac g5, the imac g4 for example. None of those had an nvidia or ati "graphics card" ....
    They required the level of engineering usually only seen in laptops, but apple went beyond that.

Dell never had to design a motherboard - all they did was go to intel and say "give us a board that has screw holes in these slightly varied spots and that uses our proprietary power connecter that is physically identical to ATX but wired diferently."

That's not design.....

15. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

so because one is shiny its been designed whereas the other largely ignores aesthetics so its been *******ised? ;)
    mac mini uses an ATI 9200 graphics chip and the imac's use nvidia graphics chips
    ok its not a card as such but its no different to a laptop
    im sure if dell really wanted to create an imac-alike in that sense they could, but why bother when they can sell something just as good for far less and make good money off it?

interesting that apple seem to be moving towards doing largely the same thing ;)

i have nothing against people wanting to use macs, i dont care if you love them and use nothing but macs but i wont pay way more for something that imo is inferior :)

16. DreamTheEndless

You are totaly missing my point Hamish - what I said was that apple designs their computers (the device that runs the software...) and that the other guys don't.

Dell computers, hp_compaq, gateway, alienware.... They take an atx motherboard, stick it in an atx case, hook it up to an atx power supply, and throw a case badge on it. Apple doesn't do it that way.

Who does? manufacturers of enterprise servers and laptops. The result? These things that require more detailed engineering tend to be more compact (notebooks) and / or have higher reliability (enterprise servers, some notebooks) - but this costs more. Sure apples look better, but that's not even what I'm talking about - I'm talking about noise, cooling, physical form factor.... And sure, they look better.

But, being on the design team at apple means something different than being on the design team at dell.

Please understand what I'm trying to say here - I really do have a valid point.

17. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

it totally does

or old, but then he sticks it in a shiney case and claims apple invented it, like the mp3 player or cd burner, dvd burner, watercooling, theres a lot.. i should have made a list so i can copy/paste it

and if it is an HTPC then apple could claim they invented that too!

OMG LIKE A SCREEN!!! that would make them so cool!

mmmmmhmmmmm runs verrrry nice.

LOLLOLOLOLOROFLROLFLOLOLOL thats the best thing ive read all day... oh apple your perfect curves, those sweet words you speak, your rugged muscles and pouty lips, so smart and strong and funny, i just want apple to hold me all night..

also agreeing with hamish..

18. DreamTheEndless

Obviously....

You gotta admit - apple puts a lot of love into their boxes......

19. Nottheking

Nottheking What's a Dremel?

Indeed, I'm happy to see a company that actually bothers to apply both aesthetic engineering principles in their design (or "design") of their machines. I personally despise the major OEMs for laying claim to too much; they simply toss proprietary parts together, slap their badge on it, and advertise. The part that REALLY gets to me is the number of motherboards OEMs take that happen to have their graphics slot ripped out; I recall earlier this year, HP/Compaq had a form of high-end PC that claimed it had "PCI-express," only they didn't mention that the PCI-e x16 graphics slot wasn't present; it used a PCI-e compatable chipset, there were the markings there, and the metal contacts on the board, but no slot. In other words, you were stuck with the crap-tacular onboard Intel graphics in that machine.

Perhaps Mac should get into simply motherboard/PSU/case/cooling design. I imagine that they could probably put out some truly wicked cooling designs, and likely move to capture the hardcore enthusiast PC group, the only one that perhaps harbors any real number of people that despise them.

P.S. I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing Macs using Athlon64s?

20. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I can't believe no-one's picked up on this yet. Look at the date of proposed release.

6th June, 2006. Ring any bells?

Tags: Add Tags