Windows Who Hates Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Guest-23315, 28 Jan 2006.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

right- i want to know who else here on bit-tech forums hates Windows INternet Explorer

personally i use Firefox or netscape (please dont laugh)

i would like to hear any other recomendations though.

Mankz.

Ps. sombody should do a petition.

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The Firefox Spellbound extension? :eyebrow:

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

good choise.

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I can't use IE any more, I'm surprised anyone does.
    Especially people on bit-tech, they should know better ;)

I also just tried out opera, it has its advantages but wasn't to my liking. My favourite browser is by far firefox, particularily now that I have it set up the way I like it, with quick searches and bookmarked tabs.

I figure that there are so few browsers out there you should really try a couple out, they're all free :)

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

STOP CORRECTING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im dislexic (How do you spell it?)
    sooo please cut my spelling some slack.

Mankz

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Dyslexic

Word of advice, if you have trouble with the spelling of words, use a spell checker. I myself google words all the time, to check that the spelling is correct, but if thats not sufficient, I believe there are several plug-ins for your favourite browser, firefox, that enable spellchecking.

Opera also has spellchecking if the correct libraries are available.

As for browsers, Opera is my one, its not bloaty like modern firefox is, and has the ability to be cut down as much as you like it.

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Why do you feel this antipathy? Please explain based on personal experience. Remember this is one of the more serious forums, so criticism should be constructive and rational.

One such, two sides from an argument
    I use Firefox because I prefer the user interface - tabbed browsing. Quite often I need to switch to IE to be able to see and use a site. The site's fault, but they've written to a standard, just not the standard. No big deal, life's a bitch. Firefox won't stop you downloading malware, that's up to the user. Check before you click 'install'. Don't take sweeties from strangers.

9. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I like Opera personally. Less bloated than Firefox (even though Firefox isnt too bad itself) and everything I had to install plugins for in Firefox comes as standard in Opera.

10. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

My personal experiences with IE and Firefox:
    IE:
    Pros:
    • Comes installed as part of Windows
    • Views most pages the way they were designed to be viewed
    • Makes installing windows extras a bit easier
    • Can run executable files straight from web pages, no downloading neccessary
    Cons:
    • I only use Windows at work, and therefore cannot even start IE on any of my personal computers.
    • Half the features listed above are also cause for concern. (executing .exe files without having them on my hard drive, installing windows "extras" easily, and the ever present BHO threat)
    • My wife got a horrible virus post SP2 without even clicking "ok" to install anything, taking me the better part of a month to correct
    • Switching to any other browser stopped all Virus/malware issues, so far 6 month running
    • Does not render properly coded websites correctly (my websites are properly coded according to standard, and require additional PHP trickery to display properly in IE)
    • Does not have any worthwhile extensions other than bookmarklets, that have limited functionality

Firefox
    Pros:
    • Displays 99% of the websites I have visited properly
    • Displays correctly-written code correctly
    • Unbelievably configurable
    • Faster than IE in browsing
    • Comes with my Operating System
    • Does not require me to "configure internet connection" each time a new user loggs into the workstation
    • Unbelievably extendable
    • about:config
    • Tabbed browsing
    Cons:
    • Does not display 1% of the sites I have visited correctly
    • Does not work with ActiveX based websites
    • Does not work with most of the Java Applets at my work
    • Does not come with Windows
    • Finding/Adding extensions not as easy as it could be

Disclaimer:
    I am basing this on personal experience. If I was able to make one change on everyone's computer, it would be to ban Microsoft Access, if I was able to make two changes, I would also ban Internet Explorer. (Sorry, but putting a "database" on someone's desktop is far worse than a faulty web browser, since for the most part it works for most people.)

I did not include Opera because Opera requires extra libraries in order to run on my laptop, and I am just way too used to "ctrl+enter" adding www. and .com to the contents of the address bar. (I've found way too many inappropriate sites by opera searching for a site rather than going to the actual .com) I also do not have much experience with Opera. I remember loving Opera when it was between Opera, Netscape, Mozilla, and Internet explorer. But once Firefox betas came out, I gave up the banner ads (I'm that cheap) for a truly open source browser, and haven't had a reason to turn back.

11. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I prefer Opera by miles to anything, I previously used Firefox but found it increasingly bloated.
    As for IE, I hate it, however, I use it for some sites the require ActiveX..
    As a web developer, I have to make sure my sites display correctly in IE anyway, it's a pain up the backside.

12. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

I'de just like to point out this page for anyone who might have trouble accessing the windows update through IE. It runs just like windows update, without the hassle.

Oh, and i thought i was the only one to check google for words i didnt know how to spell. quick and easy way to check your spelling.

13. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

For all the firefox users out there talking about Spell Checking, it's a bit of a hastle to install (not too much though), but SpellBound is a lifesaver! (as cpemma mentioned earlier)

(sidenote, no variant of Firefox as a single word is in the default mozilla spelling dictionary... weird)

14. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

hate is such a strong word isnt it? I dont HATE it, I just dislike it for the reasons mentioned above. 5 minutes without tabbed browsing drives me up a brick wall. and then thers a mentality that goes allong with FF thats just superior. (but having to write nonstandard static HTML pages is a pain for both sites)

15. ychamp

ychamp What's a Dremel?

THe main attractions for me in firefox are safety and tabbed browsing since I've a bad habit of oppening too many windows at (20-30) and I had to take apart my dual monitor setup. So it's firefox for me.

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I truly do hate IE now, really for the same reasons everyone else dislikes it. My productivity drops to near-zero and my sanity tends to do so as well. I just can't stand using it at all. When I'm forced to do so (school), it never seems to work quite right and none of my mouse gestures and tab usage stuff works, unsurprisingly enough.

117 - that's just their dedication to standards :) Firefox isn't technically a word, so it shouldn't be in the dictionary, should it?

17. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

I'm not the only one then :hehe: :D

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I use Opera myself. I love the tabbed browsing, the non-changing toolbars and the fact that my right mouse button ALWAYS works (hey, what a concept!), not to mention that it makes me immune to most malware. With Opera it still feels like I own my computer, rather than competing with other people who want to control what I see.

My only real annoyance with it is that some Flash and Java based sites have headaches, but it seems to me a small price to pay.

19. PixelOp

PixelOp What's a Dremel?

This is about the only thing that prevents me from using Firefox exclusively. It's such a pain having to save small 3MB programs just to install them. I commonly go into IE so I don't have to save them everytime.

If Firefox could that... meh, I'd be in heaven. :D

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You want executables to run straight away when you load a webpage :eek: - wow, personally I wouldn't use any .exe file I couldn't download, and if its from a questionable source, virus scan. I'd consider that a majorly bad thing myself.

Tags: