Project: Bumbly Bee (Shuttle Mod) Update: 13th Mar

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by armed_gorilla, 29 Jan 2006.

1. armed_gorilla

armed_gorilla What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone, this is my first project log on here so be gentle. The idea behind this is a silent shuttle...... oh no not another one i hear you cry. Well im hoping this will be a little different. Its not going to be the most powerfull of systems but it will do the job it needs to do.

System specs:

1Ghz mobile Duron
    SN41G Shuttle (Using all the onboard bits gfx, sound etc)
    512Mb RAM (possibly 1GB just depends if i feel i need more once its finished)
    H/Drive...... Yet to be bought. I'll go with samsung though for the silence i think.
    150W Silent PSU

I was thinking about colours, it was a toss up between blue and white or black and yellow. Ive gone black and yellow as there always a striking combination and i want this thing noticed with the amount of work im about to put into it. This should give you an idea of what it will be like

[​IMG]

As you can see it looks good (well i think so anyway :p ) the reason behind me filing the front ports on the shuttle is A: there the one thing i think spoils the look of the front of a shuttle and B: I didnt have the ports anyway as this is an SB61G2 case. Why is it an SB61G2 case i hear you ask, well i bought it off someone to put in the FN41 motherboard i had (bought ages ago off a forum) So this shuttle is a bit of a mix. Think thats it for now, i'll update soon....ish hopefully and try to explain what im going to do...... all i'll leave you with for now is this is going to have a 120mm fan INTERNALLY but i'll explain that later :)

Comments here please >>>>>> http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1166717

Last edited: 13 Mar 2006
  2. armed_gorilla

Project: Bumbly Bee (Shuttle Mod) Update:13th Mar

[​IMG]

The project has begun, feel free to comment guys (and girls whoops).

3. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

nice clolours, looking good :thumb: !

It does seem odd that you titled your project with the name of a very noisy, irritating insect when you intend your computer to be silent ;) :p

4. ychamp

ychamp What's a Dremel?

what will you use the machine for ??

good luck

5. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

sounds interesting :)

silent air cooling on entry level hardwasre is my cup of tea.

So you know:

6. armed_gorilla

lol, well ive ripped this ones wings off so its silent :p The main reason for naming it after a bumble bee was down to a mate of mine, he suggested it and i took a liking to it. Goes well with the colour scheme i think.

Im going to use it as an mp3 server/download box hopefully if its up to it

7. armed_gorilla

Dont suppose anyone knows where i could get some honeycomb mesh in the uk? Thought it would go well with the bee theme. I cant even order it from mnpctech as there totally sold out.

8. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

Sorry to jump into your thread but I have a 1' x 1' piece of Hex mesh from Mnpctech that you can buy from me if you like?
    I'll soon be acting as a UK rep' for some of Mnpctech's other stock aswell.

PM me if you're interested as I don't want to clog up your thread. :thumb:

9. bonnie_barko

bonnie_barko What's a Dremel?

nice one

10. armed_gorilla

You sir are a star, PM'd you

11. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

Yeah I like it looks cool the contrast between the yellow n black rocks! :rock:

Dude you forgot to mention my name ;)

12. armed_gorilla

Well ive not had chance to do much recently, been working 6 days a week and havent felt like doing much on my day off. But today i thought id have a try at engraving, so out comes the black and decker multi tool and away i go. I got thinking about the sort of design i wanted to do. It had to be something to do with bees but i didnt want a complicated design due to the fact ive never tried my hand at engraving before. I got looking in google images and found just the design not to difficult but it will look quite effective on the side of the case. Well here it is, its not great but its my first attempt.

[​IMG]

I do need to work on it, and i think i need a flexi shaft to make it a little easier but for a first attempt its not so bad. Let me know what you think.

Here >>> http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1166717

13. armed_gorilla

Credit goes to my old work m8 for the name, how could i forget :idea:

14. armed_gorilla

Woo update time, well not much of one but ive got a few more pics to add.

First up we have the front panel ports filled (rear view)

[​IMG]

The front panel primed up ready for painting

[​IMG]

Also the other part of the fron panel now painted black

[​IMG]

I appologise for not taking before pics but i got a bit carried away, i'll try to take them in future. One more thing before i go is my window design

[​IMG]
    Ignore the brown, it was the first pencil that came to hand it was just to make it easier to visualise the window, what do you think? I plan to have the bee engraving sat in the honeycomb bit in the corner.

Let me know what you think so far guys :)

15. armed_gorilla

Little update for you all here

16. armed_gorilla

Just a quick update for you, front panel has got its first couple of coats of colour

[​IMG]

Ive cut the window now but it didnt quite turn out how i wanted it after i started filing so i decided to change it. Its not what i wanted but it will have to do. Pictures to follow soon

17. armed_gorilla

Time to crack out this

[​IMG]

First straight bit cut

[​IMG]

Onto the difficult bit

[​IMG]

and were done...... well apart from filing the edges

[​IMG]

Unfortunatly whilst i was filing i messed up the bottom corner big time. So i improvised..... well i just started filing and hoped it would look ok. Ive ended up with this >

[​IMG]

Its not what i wanted but it will do, it still gives me an area to put the bee into. Also i need to fill those holes as well now :( but that shouldnt be to much work. Well thats it for today, im not sure if i should put a window on the top of the shuttle as well. More updates to come soon, let me know what you think.

Post your comments here, good or bad. Cheers http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1166717

18. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Just noticed your project. It looks like you have pretty cool thing going here for ya.
    As far as your little "mess up" goes, I think you could make the same little "dip" on the other side (bottom right corner) and it would look better. Just my opinion though. It's too bad you couldn't have kept those little honeycomb things though, that would have been cool!

19. armed_gorilla

Tell me about it i was so annoyed when i ruined them. Seemed to be the harder i tried to get them back the worse they looked :( I think im going to leave it as it is though as i dont want to mess it up anymore than i already have. Maybe if i get hold of another shuttle cover i might have another crack at it but until then it says "as is" thanks for yours comments :)

20. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I quite like it, nice bold colours that are sure eye-catching.
    As already said dont worry about the mess up too much, it looks just fine :)