$1500 Gaming computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beastnburger, 2 Feb 2006.

1. beastnburger

beastnburger What's a Dremel?

I had no where else to put this so im putting it here. All my last 3 computers have been self built, and my friend has asked me to recommend a nice $1500 gaming computer that's gonna be good out of the box. I was thinking something with a 7800GT, X2 cpu (this may be too $$$), 1gb RAM, and like an 80gb HDD (nothing bigger is needed). I really dont know what company to go to because its been so long, maybe Dell or Alienware... please help.

Thank you in advance. And move this if needed.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Why not build one for him?

3. madmodder

madmodder What's a Dremel?

I second that, theres something just that little bit more rewarding about building a PC rather than buying one.

I'll have a look later on some US sites and see if I can reccomend some parts.

4. beastnburger

beastnburger What's a Dremel?

I completely agree with you, however he is not very computer savy and I think having some 24/7 customer support would come in handy. So if you could recommend a company that would be great, but ill keep looking around on reviews and such. Also, im sure he would be getting a much more powerful computer if i built one, but all he really cares about is playing world of warcraft, lol.

5. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

if all he cares about is WoW then why don't he just get a mid range system and save $$$$$$$$$$ im sure you don't NEED that spec to run WoW great do you ? i'd think this would be more suitable

3000+ venice or 3700+
    1Gb ram
    nvidia 6600gt or 6800gs
    80-300Gb hdd
    and a nice monitor for around $250

Im sure something of this spec would run WoW at full settings and a decent res

6. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

As his friend its your responsibility to stop him from making a mistake and buying a ready built pc!

Help build him one thats badass because when he gets bored of WOW then what? hes stuck with a pc that cant do much eles like play the next generation of games!

If you build him one he can always ask you for some advice instead of spending lots of money on the insane call prices to technical support, also his pc will last allot longer and run allot more other games!!

Common!! :)

7. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

For some reason I read the thread title as "$1500 Gaming Controller" and I was all ready to post my "wtf" reply.

Thankfully though I can still use this reply but I now aim it at your lack of wanting to build his pc for him, so here goes: wtf?!

8. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i wouldnt want to build a pc for a computer nub friend either, if you've ever done it you know you end up being their 24/7 tech support
    its a huge pain in the arse
    point them at a not completely shite pre-built that way they get what they need as well as proper (paid!) tech support

9. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

Exact same reason you dont build for your grandparents... :duh: I still pay for that mistake. Granted ive built for nub friends before and they have some common sense in using the internet so they have avoided viruses and the nasy spywares quite well. I get calls now and then to see why something isnt printing right or why the sound isnt working and its usually a simple fix like plugging it back in or turning it on.. other than that I dont have a problem helping them becuase they are my friends and i want them to think of me again when they want another computer becuase they paid for my service.

10. Veryphatpepsi

Veryphatpepsi What's a Dremel?

CyberPower

pretty good place. some friends of mine have bought from there because of the warranties :rolleyes: ... basically the next best thing than you building him one.

11. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I wouldn't trust a place that name their PC's "Mega ultra 5000".

Sounds like a 12 year old in a garage.

12. Veryphatpepsi

Veryphatpepsi What's a Dremel?

that really isnt a legit reason not to. Dell has better names than that. Does that mean you would buy from them over that site?

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Oh my god they're horrible. My friend bought from them, absolutely worthless tech support. Took me all of five seconds to look through the window and see the graphics card wasn't fully seated.

But, in their favor, you've got a lot more headroom for customizing.

14. ychamp

ychamp What's a Dremel?

just built a computer for a friend for around 1300
    those are the specs
    X2 3800
    Abit Kn8 ultra
    2GB of RAM
    160GB HD
    Antec lanboy
    Antec true power PSU
    NEC 3550
    7800gt