Graphics When are graphics cards going to have 1gb?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J()£, 5 Feb 2006.

1. J()£

J()£ Banned

I am very curious to know when GFX cards are going to be using 1gb of ddr memory?

I enyone knows if Ati or Nvidia are going to be the first to release it or if you know of one that is comin out. Please give me a shout! :thumb:

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

With G71 (the GeForce 7900 series), NVIDIA will be able to lower the power consumption enough to place 1GB of video memory on their ultra-high end Quadro workstation cards. They will, however, be about £4000 each ;)

I don't think we'll see 1GB of RAM on consumer graphics cards until about 2 generations into the future... perhaps early next year.

3. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I think 512 cards are still somewhat of a novelty. However, I read (I think in another forum so not the most reliable source) that some of the card manufacturers are working on integrating two 512 cards into a single card. It wouldn't be a single card with 1 gig, it would be two distinct cards handling the graphics tasks. Now imagine, if this goes through production, one could technically double it up for 2 gigs via crossfire or (more likely) SLI.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

3DLabs has had their flagship 640MB card out for quite some time, I'd expect that a 1GB+ card would be coming reasonably soon from them as well

We wont see it on consumer cards for a while though, mainly because we wont need it on consumer cards for a while. The newest games maxed only barely take advantage of 512MB

edit: and btw, you're banned, must have been a forum hiccup when changing your week suspension to a permanent ban. fixed now anyway.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2006
  5. rikbikboo

rikbikboo What's a Dremel?

does me running 2 x1800xt in crossfire count as having a gig of video ram?

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

^ Nope. You only have 512mb, its just that your performance is better.

7. bsslove

bsslove What's a Dremel?

I think 1GB RAM will come in 1~2years,

Roadmap has 1GB RAM

8. MonkeySpank

MonkeySpank Banned

From what i've heard, All the latest games barely max use the full 512mb anyway so dont expect 1gb for another year or 2

Tags: