Modding KVM Controlling 2 PCs at the same time?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Kalym, 10 Feb 2006.

1. Kalym

Kalym What's a Dremel?

I want to 1 keyboard and 1 mouse to control 2 PCs. A KVM is the first thing that springs to mind, but what I want is to control two PC's at the same time.

Do KVMs have an option to do this?

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I've never seen it and i kinda doubt its possible....out of intrest why on earth would u want two PCs to do exactly the same thing at the same time?!?

The idea of a kvm is at the press of a button u swicth the mouse/keyboard/etc to the toher system instantly...u can keep both systems 'running at the same time' and use them both in turn at the push of a button.....

3. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

It might work if you just wired up 2 connectors to the mouse and keyboard and then just connected both to each computer. Might also blow both motherboards and the mouse and keynboard. I doubt if it would work too.

4. Dngrsone

Dngrsone What's a Dremel?

There's always a reason to do something out of hte ordinary...

You might want to build a splitter-- something that will take the single inputs from the keyboard and send them to both motherboards while keeping them electrically isolated from each other.

5. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

It MIGHT be possible to modify simpler devices so that ONLY the signal lines are split between two connectors. PS/2 might be easier to do this with since it's a simpler exchange system.

One tail of the cable could have all 4 pins connected between the computer and keyboard. The other tail of the cable could connect only the data lines between the computer and keyboard and the 5v+ and ground could be connected to a low power draw item like an LED on an appropriate resistor.
    This is correct and would be much safer. It's not something that exists so you'd have to make it.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2006
  6. mattthegamer463

Yeah I know, I wasn't saying he should do that, I was just sort of thinking out loud, and maybe building on such an idea would have been beneficial to him.

7. Kalym

Kalym What's a Dremel?

The reason that prompted me to ask this is that I play an MMORPG and I was just brain farting and thought it would be cool being able to control multiple accounts on different machines. You are not allowed to use macros or 3rd party bots to control the other players, but theres nothing said about controling both players from 1 set of controls.

:D

8. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

try synergy

9. mattthegamer463

I really doubt if controlling 2 people would work properly. What is it going to do? Actual roaming around finding items, etc, or just standing there digging or something. If you want to do actual playing with it it won't work very well, because one guy will be skipping through a meadow, and the other will be running off a cliff.

10. customh

customh conflagration.

Like the noob said (and welcome to ya tacitus) try this. http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ It does exactly what ya want as long as you have 2 monitors. /Edit/ One machine is the synergy "server" ther other runs the client and off you go.

11. Graffix

Graffix What's a Dremel?

do you need it to be hard wired, you can control 2 pc's sperately over ip. www.Realvnc.com give it a go, works liek a treat for me. :D

12. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

No, you would NOT give it 10v. having two 5V connectors in the same place does not result in 10v. if you had the positive lead of the second tailed to the negative of the first, then chained the first positive and the second negative up.

13. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Oh right you'd have to do it in series not parallel. +1 brain fart for me.

14. customh

customh conflagration.

Try synergy i still say

15. Kalym

Kalym What's a Dremel?

I've had a quick look at Synergy it's not exactly what I'm after.

Basically, I want to be able to press "x" on a keyboard and "x" to appear on two separate computers.

I wonder how hard it would be to mod a KVM so that output goes to both channels?

Or could I simply splice a normal ps/2 cable into to 2 female connectors? The little I've read on keyboard signals, and I don't know any electronics, is that its only signals going to the comp and nothing comes back.

16. namedrisk

namedrisk What's a Dremel?

So did you found any solution what game is it ? world of warcraft ?

i am trying to hook up some information about it too, so far i have heard about a wireless spliter im trying to find it but no success yet,

with it you can use a single mouse / key for 2 comps same time or switching

later...

17. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

18. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Forget about all wiring and re-wiring ideas...you are going to spend a whole lot of time with something that probably wont work.

http://www.kavoom.biz/ is your answer....it will save you frying any hardware!

19. Kalym

Kalym What's a Dremel?

Kavoom, Synergy and Multiplicity are all very similar products, in that they allow you to use a single keyboard and mouse to interface to multiple computers and monitors.

None of them will duplicate control across 2 comps, which is essentially what I'm after.

Still, I'm glad I started this thread because I have learnt about the programs above.

20. namedrisk

namedrisk What's a Dremel?

zr_ox
    we dont want to use 2 computers as 1.

we want that computer B do anything computer A is doing a mouse movement or a keyboard press anything like they were single and you were control both as you were in front of it

thanks anyway :)

ps: im going to try the wireless soluction not because i think it will work but because i need new keyboard and mouse for a long time already

any news i will be back here :)