1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows day of defeat:source free

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ab$olut, 7 Feb 2006.

1. Neema5

Neema5 What's a Dremel?

I used to play DOD back before it became source and it was extremely fun. I was going to buy DOD source but then I got COD2 for $25 and I play that online and its pretty much the same as DOD source but I still want DOD source haha. I don't know what to do!?

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

You.. could get DOD source? :)

I'm not sure how I managed it, but I had the ATI HL2 voucher and then upgraded to Silver package for less than a tenner, which included pretty much everything apart from a snazy looking biscuit tin and a geek-shirt.

3. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

the 'geek shirt' is sunday best round here! 2nd best tee ive got, next to my dangermouse one. i even got a nod in IKEA not long back because of my geeky dress-sense :D

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I've been playing it for a while and it seems pretty damn good indeed.
    The only downsides i can see so far are the chock full servers and some TK'ing idiots on there (two servers now).

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

/me likes all the new players on the servers... 105-35 :D

6. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

Blah! im not paying after the weekend :O when something is free... it's free! this oviously isn't free... it's not that amazing over the original version...

i liked it though :p still not paying through teh nose.

7. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

lmao!
    so you want a full game for free? theyve only done this to get more people into the game. and paying through the nose? i got mine for £13 through steam, hardly a fortune. and its only £15 retail.
    just a side note, the original is what, 3-4 years old now? dod:s is a mere 5 onths old so itll take some time to get all the content and to tweak the engine etc etc.

8. Xenred

Xenred What's a Dremel?

Well ive been playing DOD:S this weeked, and tbh i loved DOD and after playing this im finally gonna buy it, steams little taster worked for me :)

9. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Well I played this for about 2hrs last night and while it was quite enjoyable a few things annoyed me, mainly how your character walks, to me it feels like your flying, not walking. This a real put off for me, though otherwise I enjoyed it quite well :)

FEAR mp 4TW

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I love DOD:S, I'll deffo be buying it retail when it comes (no CC... :\). My only quibble is that it makes CS:S (my true love of gaming) look a bit dated atm, I love all the HDR detail on the maps, as well as the really well-done weapons.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Same. I tried GW, hated it (and other MMOs I've sampled), and saved myself the money. I like DOD:S, and think that Valve had a great idea in doing this. Get people to try it who otherwise wouldn't have. Some will like it and buy it, some will like it but not deem it worthy of buying, some will hate it and save themselves the money of paying to try it. Of course, the more of the first type, the better for them.

12. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Is anyone else finding that their 'free weekend' is still going? :lol:

I had to restart Steam for it to register the start of the free period so I'm guessing ending it will also require a restart... of course it could just be coincidence and I'll soon get kicked off!!

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I assume its going on one of the US times, which are 5, 7 or 8 hours behind IIRC.

14. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Ahh yes, I should have looked on the steam page really - still over 5 hours to go!

I just assumed that as it started about 8pm on Friday it would end 2 days later, thus 8pm on Sunday! Not the cleverest thing I have ever thought... maybe the sleep derevation is starting to take its toll!

15. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

well Im kinda glad the weekend is over so many people not working as a team trying to take flags it just turned dod into cs for the weekend imo

16. Lord Kordir

Lord Kordir What's a Dremel?

Well as I was so upset I couldn't play the game anymore I decided to buy it over Steam. Anyone know of any decent (preferably UK based) servers I should keep an eye out for?

17. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

I bought DoD:S as soon as it was released. I personally think it is well done and has the potential to become everything the original was. There were some bugs at the beginning which turned off a HUGE chunk of the community and lot of people left. Things like sticking to the player next to you if you got too close, horrible FPS even on high end cards/computers, things like that.

They released some fixes and corrected much of that. But it was too late and the majority of the original community had left. My clan, [HoD], has pretty much just faded now. There are few guys left who joined up with a fellow clan to play in some leagues, but that's about it. Really sad actually. I've been playing DoD since the original beta came out.

18. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Well, I've been playing it over the weekend, and I loved it, I'm having some withdrawal not playing the damn game.
    i've been looking for a WW2 shooter since I became bored with ET becuase of many reasons (community?), and DoD looks like a great game to replace it with, especially since it's the most demanding game I own, which justifies the money i've spent.

I think I'll buy it tomorrow.

Tags: