Motors Failed My Fourth Damn Driving Test. Solutions For Nerves?

Discussion in 'General' started by mookboy, 22 Feb 2006.

1. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

1. dont think of it as a test, but just another driving lesson (this is what I did, passed after my 8th lesson or so, but this was in Oz mind you...)
    2. talk to the examiner beforehand about being nervous and see what he or she reccomends...as I am usually quite nervous when it comes to exams, and I am not one to take a "chill pill" or whatever its called, I try to make myself as comfortable as possible, to trick myself into not being nervous, ie. for my a levels I did my physics papers in slippers, and shorts, and brought myself a thermos with some tea in it (worked a treat, and for my stats paper in maths I even allowed myself some Irish coffee - not that I reccomend that for a driving test!)

... anyway, good luck, and dont think of it as you having failed four times, as just that will make you nervous, before you even get to start, but you were just "testing" the examiners abilities to notice mistakes ;) ...paz...

2. ajiKaBooM!

ajiKaBooM! What's a Dremel?

i failed twice, but im in uni now so it will burn a whole in the wallet if i retook it in the summer before my theory expires

3. loops

loops What's a Dremel?

Past mine today with 4 minors, reccommend sherbert flying saucers

4. ajiKaBooM!

ajiKaBooM! What's a Dremel?

to think the amount ive blown on driving :rolleyes: :waah: :wallbash: :sigh:

congratualtions neway

edit: sorry for my excessive use of emoticons...but thats how i feel when thinking about the issue

5. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

I've heard Rescue Remedy is supposed to be good (personally I've never used it though).

PS try http://www.2pass.co.uk for more tips on how to relax.

6. loops

loops What's a Dremel?

I worked it out that ive spent 2 and a half grand on learning to drive :)- £100 a month in lessons, 4 tests at £50 each and a theory test at £40

Now Im paying half my mums insurance to keep me driving

7. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

I passed on my fourth test, my heart pumped away all the way thru and I sweated like hell! It was summer mind!

Just talk your way thru it all and double check yourself, you could always contest the last result as you were given instruction to soon?

Regards
    GiGo

8. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I was about 14 or 15 when I had my first driving test. I live in a rural area, and I had driven quite a out in the country side before takeing the test. The test was in a city, I had to drive my Dad's Dodge pick-up (diesel engine, manual trans, many blind spots) and I don't remember doing anything too dificult. I was kinda surprised when the instructor (a rather nice looking girl) didn't ask me to parallel park.

Then a year later, I was forced to take drivers education (week long class, hour of lecture and then some driving each day) to lower my insurance a little bit.

For me, driving around without an instructor prior to trying to get my license really helped. But it also sounds like the test on the other side of the pond is a lot harder than here in the US of A.

L J

9. scorpio

scorpio What's a Dremel?

i didn't had to pass my test, all i did is took a practical test(signs and crap like that) tha'ts how i gat my permit, then my mom filled out some papaer, it have lessons and times when you did driving, so then we turned the paper in and i gat the lisence, oh and btw i had to had my permit for 6 months.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

No kidding. There was a British woman in line at the DMV the day I took my test who had just moved here. Just because the way the system works, she had to start with a leaner's permit. The attendant person was practically crying from laughter and apology because she know's the British tests actually take skill to pass.

My advice... don't think about it too much. Don't sweat the small stuff. If you make a mistake, get over it as quickly as possible and don't convince yourself that you're screwed. Definately don't think of it as a test, because that's sure to screw with your nerves. Just think of it as being out driving with a parent or whatever.

11. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Really it kinda makes sense to not give any British person a license here in the USA, they have to get used to driving on the proper side of the road first.

L J

12. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

passed my test first time. lerned in a astrovan and practiced in one too. Took two lessons for the hell of it before the day of the test and passed with a perfect score. It dosent mean however that I am a expert driver, far from it. most people need at least 100k miles to start becoming good drivers. At least thats what my unk says. I guess he should know. He drove a semi through swiss alps and mostly any place in europe for 20years. He retired more trucks in his company than anyone else in the companys 60years in bussiness. His last truck before he took a managerial job had around 1million kilometers and was only 5years old.

What worked for my nerves was actualy not thinking im driving for my test but as if im driving with my buddies and just cruizing. So basicaly drove like an old fart.

as for the coments above. Chillax guys. I can testify that brit driving tests are harder to atain. But it dosent mean that there are no dumb ases on the road.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's the easy bit, the difficult bit is getting used to pedestrian US speed limits...

As far as tests go, passed mine first time, was nervous as hell all the way through, but ragged it with a few minors and was over the moon.

As mushky says, put it into perspective, in the grand scheme of the universe, how little does it matter whether you pass or not? Just drive calmly, think about everything and concentrate on simply driving, not what he's thinking about.

14. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

passed mine with near perfect scores ( forgot to use turn lights in a parking lot)

really i dont get what the big deal is, you guys just need to relax

though I am a very laid back person ( lying down as I type :D)

15. computerman0416

computerman0416 What's a Dremel?

Get a hummer before you test....you will be very relaxed. :D

16. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

i passed on my fifth, just drive mate thats the best advice, if you fail you fail you know. its not the end of the world and be thankful your not dead :)

and all driving experience is good experience

17. fev

fev Industry Fallout

fail more than 3 tests and you shouldn't be allowed to drive... when you finally past it's most probs a fluke..

18. padair

padair Inebriated

I agree, some may blame nerves but really they're just incompetent. One of my ex-colleagues finally passed their 8th test, bought a car and had four accidents in the first year - all his fault.

19. loops

loops What's a Dremel?

Not a fair assumption, I know people who passed first time and crashed within 3 days, my boyfriends mother passed hers 9th time and is one of the best drivers I know. I passed 4th time, and yes it was due to nerves, on lessons my driving was perfect and mock tests i passed every time with no minors, just having someone sat with a board watching my every move made me extremely het up and thus i made mistakes

20. Sputnik

Sputnik What's a Dremel?

I was so nervous the day before and the morning I did my test. It was the 16th of February and the test was at 09:00 in the morning. Whenever he gave a command, I responded by saying, "Yes, sir." I almost reversed into a poll when doing the yard test. Luckily, he gave a bit of a cough, so I went for my second try. I thought I had failed as I was still in an intersection when the traffic signal had gone red for me and I wasn't sure if this guy was going to jump the stop light or what. But he turned into the DIY store BEFORE the flipping intersection. I also thought I failed as I thought I drove over a red line.

Anyway, I passed first time. All I did was silently talked myself through it as though I was with my driving instructor.

Sputnik :lol:

Tags: