1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding desk comp

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Kyre, 1 Apr 2006.

1. Kyre

Kyre What's a Dremel?

the conspet be hind this build is to fitt a computer in to the space on my desk

the desk
    [​IMG]

the sketch
    [​IMG]

what do you think ?? the sketch is kinda rough but I have never used sketchup before :p

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Make sure to have some serious airflow thru the case, then it will be fine.

3. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

From the looks of that sketchup it seems like you can make the case even smaller.

4. Kyre

Kyre What's a Dremel?

I want it to fill out the space totally

5. ShawnMcGrail

ShawnMcGrail What's a Dremel?

Then why not just slap on a little door on the front and just put a larger motherboard tray with some extra space on sliders in there? :rock:

6. nookie

nookie What's a Dremel?

the sketch is good, think of the way you will access the pc and the bottons and stuff. A sliding platform is a good idea, but you'll have to clear the desk infornt. /well...whatever the final design is, makeing room for taking the pc out would be requared i guess... :idea: /
    About the airflow - you might want to leave some space behind the pc and the desk or to cut a few hols on the sides of your desk :p

7. Kyre

Kyre What's a Dremel?

because i want to use the cabinet when i finally get a new desk

Thanks.. I'm thinking of putting some handles on the front to make it look kind rack ish :p And i putting 4 80mm in the front and building a relatively open back end the 80mm will be connected through some kinde of fan buss...

Any suggestions for a nice non flashy fan bus ??

8. TJK

TJK What's a Dremel?

First, front ports access - make sure you get something for USB, firewire, audio, etc, so you DONT have to keep reaching around, it will really get old really fast.

what about any optical drives and stuff? make sure to find some sort of rack from a case - much much easier than trying to fab one on your own.

Go for the handles, but dont get anything too gaudy - in my opinion, the less flashy it is the better it will look on a wood desk.

For the fan bus, do you need analog? i have a digital one that is barely used you can have for like $35 shipped if you want it. It has thermal sensors and it works great for stuff like that and has front firewire and USB
    I can dig up the specs if you want me to or PM me

9. Kyre

Kyre What's a Dremel?

the project is in a slump right now as i dont have time to work on it... May be that il do somthing over easter :p