1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Wii is less than $250, may have microphone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 25 May 2006.

1. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

It's a smart marketing move though. It'll keep interest high for the Wii even if no new games are being released. Nintendo has already stated that they'll stagger the VC games instead of releasing them all at once.

2. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

@Shaolyen: :duh: owned me. But on a more serious note, you have shown VAT still fails to account for the massive price difference between UK and US. After all 50-17.5=32.5% difference in price for no apparent reason.

@Gizmo1990: I very much doubt it will launch at £150. In fact, I am so confident it won't, that if it does launch at that price I will swallow my pride and buy a PS3 to "wear as a badge of shame" -hell I'll even get release vista to top it off.

-ed out

Last edited: 25 May 2006
  3. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

The reason is that they can and you can't do anything about it. Sad, but true.

4. riggs

riggs ^_^

Because of the ROB problem, I'd probably wait a while until it drops in price...don't get me wrong, I'm definitly buying one but that price seems a tad high tbh.
    Aha, digging up an old idea are they? The original (Japanese) Famicom had a mic. built into the 2nd player pad. Could be quite interesting, just so long as it doesn't cause feedback with the built in speaker!

5. Shaolyen

Shaolyen Minimodder

I never said we didn't get ripped off, just not by the extent you were suggesting.

6. ContingenctPlan

ContingenctPlan What's a Dremel?

^ While it's not so bad on the X360 example, the principle of getting ripped off still stands. Economy of scale? Sure, but not to the extent of 30%+ markup - especially when Dell Poland, for example, sells the 2405 cheaper than it is here on Dell UK.

7. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

They charge what they charge in over here because they know they can. As a nation I believe we have one of the largest disposable incomes in the world and as a result manufacturers use us to recoup losses from elsewhere.

It's not nice to think about but I suppose we should be flattered. :rolleyes:

8. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

IMHO, a rip off is a rip off whatever the reason. [goes shopping in the US]

-ed out

9. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

what a cheap price if its under £200 for us think I'll be getting one.

10. Gizmo1990

Gizmo1990 What's a Dremel?

Flattered!? It stinks and I wish the public would wake up and take a stand against it! :duh:

The Dell statement above is a perfect example of how we get screwed in this country. Go look how much Dell are charging their US customers plus all the little freebies they get like 5 years warranties... :eyebrow: It stinks!!

11. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Yes, but what do we do instead?
    Have a moan, drink a cup of tea, then pay through the nose anyway.

Quintessentially British.

12. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

ok, lets assume that the mark up on the Wii will have the same markup as the xbox360 (i know the DS would be a better comparison as it's all Ninty, however I don't know prices of those and cba to look it up).

Price of xbox360:
    $399 -> £215
    £279

mark up = 30%

Price of Wii
    $250 -> £135

thus expected price = £175

There is no reason for Ninty to price it any lower than this as this is the price we "expect" to pay and are willing to pay it. Thus 175-200 is about right imo.

13. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I said £199 earlier, but £170 does sound more reasonable. The problem is the Xbox 360 core pack only costs £210, so I think Nintendo will want to have at least a £40 difference.

14. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

I think that Nintendo has made a grave mistake wit hthe name, Wii is so ridiculours, but i have to admit it is growing on me, but its gonna be parodied on the net e.g. flash movies as soon as it hits the shelves, just like the original Xbox "large" controllers.

But i think that the small price point iwth the low specs and high quality gaming experience will conteract each other and people wont notice the gap in graphics between the Wii and the PS3 and the 360... (with just a 800Mhz IBM Broadway processor)

But also the low price will create it as a console that you'll buy along with an Xbox or PS3, because its so cheap, you have the Wii in the living room, show your folks and what not and show off a bit. And then have your Xbox or PS3 in a game room, or bedroom that you and your friends you are dedicated gamers will use.

15. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

After the initial laughing at the stupid name. The Wii is the only console that I would probably buy. It would be mainly used for party gaming when everyone is round and using their whole body to play a game (required when drunk).

Still it all depends on how many good fun party games there are.

16. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Can anyone confirm whether the Wii will be able to play online and whether it will be free or not?

I would really love to play games like the upcoming smash brothers brawl online with other players since my friends arnt into games much :S

17. Gizmo1990

Gizmo1990 What's a Dremel?

Yes it will definitely be online.

99.9% sure it will be free too. :clap:

I'm already getting ready to bitch slap Snake with Samus's big gun... :hehe:

18. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Im very happy in that case since all my friends arnt really into console gaming (apart from Pro evo soccer) and it really is lonesome playing smash brothers on my own.
    Cant wait to hit it up online aswell as other games such as racing etc :)

19. ContingenctPlan

ContingenctPlan What's a Dremel?

trustedreviews.com expects it to only cost £150 :D

20. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross What's a Dremel?

Following on from that, will the VC games, if any, be online as well? Id love to play Mario Kart online, even though Id be sure in for a kicking.

Tags: Add Tags