News PirateBay has servers seized by Swedish Police

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 31 May 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

All I can say is :Noooooooo :waah:, though I do like their detremination to move the site to another country.

(also that would explain why the tracker is down)

-Fr4nk

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

*tries pirate bay quicksearch*

AAArgh!

Seriously, AFAIK thay're not breaking the law and there's no reason for the police to do that... :worried:

4. quack

quack Minimodder

:(

What are the police going to find? MD5 hashes? Oooooh illegal!

5. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick What's a Dremel?

just an editing note for whoever wrote the blurb posted on bit-tech: stop being such a geek, not every instance of the word "raid" gets all caps ;) the mention of a "police raid" in the blurb linked there is most definately not an acronym and looks quite horrible IMO.

edit: fixed, thanks :p

Last edited: 31 May 2006
  6. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

7. RTT

RTT #parp

I wondered where it'd gone (because i was going to um... test that it... was online. yeah.)

8. gokalper

gokalper What's a Dremel?

I give them a month to open again, after the police go through the data and logs on the servers. I personally don't use torrents, anymore, but i do know that no matter how many sites you shut down that give people a gateway to pirating software, people will still pirate, by copying cds from their friends, or ripping the songs from a friends cd. I have so many friends with excess of 2TB of anything you could imagine, give them a blank hard drive and they will give you what you want. The only way you can stop people from pirating is give them software that is written well, ahem microsoft + hotfixes, and at a price that is fair. Actually that wont stop people it will slow it down, maybe. Hell even if its 50 dollars, majority would still rather pirate it. So the only feasible option i see is, to all the linux project members, make your software easy for people and 100% compatible. I use linux my self but, even ubuntu, can be troublesome to someone with out any experience beyond windows. And as for microsoft, stop charging individuals, who can barely suppport their home, a crapload for your office software. You already make enough money from the business and university contracts. Oh and if anybody thinx i pirate, my university gives me all licenses to microsofts products, but i rather not touch it with a stick from 5 feet away, and i use linux, wink ;).

9. gokalper

gokalper What's a Dremel?

Google should open a torrent tracker, everything encrpyted, and i think they could make it 100% legal with some tricks, + google adsense. Then they would truly become the rival for microsoft.

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It's starting to feel like "just a matter of time" almost. But I don't think it is. As one goes down, another takes over its role, new little ones spring up, new people get involved as old people leave.

As someone who almost never used TPB, the thing I'll miss most, just like as some poster on /. said, are the hilarious legal letters.

Edit: Also, this is intresting because this is a case where clearly TPB are not breaking the law. They know this, the swedes know this, and the **AA's know this. It'll be intresting to see if the law is just ignored in order to shut them down. I'm sure it'll be argued that the ends justify the means if so.

11. [Jonny]

[Jonny] What's a Dremel?

I have a feeling that the police are going to get pwned for this.

12. Hans Voralberg

Hans Voralberg What's a Dremel?

Err isnt it illegal to raid something that is legal ?

13. [Jonny]

[Jonny] What's a Dremel?

Yes it is, but the police didn't actually know if there was anything illegal on the servers, and after some pressure (you can guess from where) they raided 'em.

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well, no windows Vista for me.

15. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

as soon as i saw the news on my homepage.. went to piratebay and :O
    it's gone :(

maybe not for ever :D hopefully?

can't see them prooving much, just taking ages about it?

16. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

i much prefer private torrent list sites anyway, as the torrents usueally have about 90% peers as opposed to public torrent lists like piratebay where torrents usueally have mostly leechers.

17. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

if their police are anything like english police we could be waiting for a wile as they first of all have to figure out how to turn those servers on :lol:

18. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I'm sure another will appear in time.
    If MS (etc) keep charging extortionate prices for their software piracy will continue.

ditto.

19. Arena_08

Arena_08 What's a Dremel?

pirates will always exist, end of.

20. Nova

Nova What's a Dremel?

hahaha i checked hmmmmm, no thanks.(adult content tracker) its some how a part of the pirate bay, and its still up... so thats funny.

its a "the pirate bay moderated network"

thats... interesting

Tags: Add Tags