It just wont even turn on...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by livelife46290, 25 Jun 2006.

1. livelife46290

livelife46290 What's a Dremel?

Okay so heres the deal...I just built up my new computer and it wont turn on...I mean at all...so heres the specs and such...Im running and Intel Presdler D 3.0 ghz proc. and intel desktop board model number D955xbk a powercolor x800 video card... 2 gb of ocz ddr2 667 ram 2 lite on optical drives a thermaltake 420 watt psu. So I have it all put together, properly I might add and when i press the power button on the comp, it just doesnt turn on. All of the wires from the front panel are connected properly. Theres a green light on the mobo... This is the first computer that I have built that hasnt booted on the first try... So I pulled it apart made everything looked fine tested the psu made sure it wasnt that and still no luck...so im hopin I could get some feedback from you all as to what to do next...oh btw, the original psu i bought was DOA so im usin my old psu...
    Thanks Everyone,
    Colin

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

The green light indicates that your motherboard is recieving standby power, meaning that the PSU is at least partially working.

Try shorting the relevant pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver or paperclip rather than pressing the button (or just connect the reset button to the power pins if you're a wimp ;) ) to see whether there's a loose wire in the power button. Also double-check in the motherboard manual to make sure that you're connecting it to the right pins.

3. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Yeah it sounds like a loose power button wire. Like hitman says, if the standby light is on, then the motherboard is receiving power. If shorting the power pins doesnt work then test each componant seperatly, but even if this was a componant failure you'd get the mobo beep codes blaring at you.

4. livelife46290

Well okay so i shorted them together and it turned on as expected....but heres the deal...the mobo makes no beebs it usually makes one or two after the POST the drives that i have wont open...once i disconected the ide cable from them, they would open. The graphics card doesnt make the screen refresh so therefore...no picture...again help!

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Make sure that all connections are secure - if that doesn't help, then take everything out except for a single stick of RAM, the CPU (& heatsink), graphics card and power supply. Try to boot it up then and see what happens.

If it works fine then just add the hardware back in slowly until it hangs again - you've then found your problem. If it doesn't, you'll need to swap parts around to try and diagnose it.

6. livelife46290

Well unfortunatley that didnt work, everything is secure...and I unfortunatley dont have the money to go out and buy enough parts to test everything to see if thats it....any other reccomendations?