Development Hosting: Databases

Discussion in 'Software' started by simon w, 26 Jun 2006.

1. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

Do hosting companies restrict the size of customers' databases? Say I'm limited to one database, could I fill it with 10gig of data?

2. quack

quack Minimodder

My hosting company restricts you to 100MB per database. You can pay for extra but it'll cost ya! You might have to shop around till you find a good deal.

3. RTT

RTT #parp

Shared hosting providers usually count the data in your db towards your total overall disk space allowance.

4. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

This is what I have, and also what i see mostly elsewhere... but it shouldnt take much for the OP to check with their IPP.

5. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

As said, its usually shared with your hosts space quota.

6. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

This is also what I have, and with a 20GB allowance, I haven't had any problems yet.

Also watch out for databases that only give you so many queries per hour. Mine used to have that, but I never came close to the limit. Now they allow unlimited as long as you only have a maximum of 3 concurrent connections (I don't think I've ever used more than one at a time...).

7. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

I last hosting package I bought was over five years ago, and that was for a ASP powered site with an MS Access DB :blush: