1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BPI goes after ISPs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 10 Jul 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

they should be going through the proper channles and stop acting as a police force if they want to enforce there coruption on the rest of us...

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well any people who get convicted via thier ISP divulging information can just sue the ISP for breaking it's T+C and use that money to pay any fines/lawsuits.

Thankfully my ISP isn't either of those two :D I'm also guessing that these 59 are heavy filesharing pirates (Arr! Sorry just saw PotC 2), since there are probably 40million pirates here in the UK (even my mum has downloaded music illegally), I'm also guessing quite a few in the BPI have also downloaded some tunes illegally at some point.

There is only one way to get rid of filesharing like this, unplug the internet, sueing people is only gonna get em pissed off at you, nothing more.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

your mum is a pirate!!!! yarrrrr!!!!!!

i think the bit-tech crew should put BPI in that image of a RIAA, MPAA, DMCA. :D

these guys just dont quit? if they dont quit why not use their man power to other more productive things, like construction working, they are realy persistent *******s.

piracy will always exist, in order to decrease the piracy levels they should lower the prices, or increase the quality of their products, or both.

5. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

lol I have been listening to alot of amature bands recently and have come to the conclusion that we would be better off without music publishers represented by the BPI :p (I suppose thats what there most afarid of)

6. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

+1. Couldn't have said it better myself. Most of the stuff the music pushers are forcing down our throats (yes the term pusher was intentional) is bad for your ears. Add to this the amount they want you to pay for it...... Enough said.

I pay for my music now, but don't buy all that much because I don't think I'm getting value for my money. Lower the prices for better music and more people will actually want to pay for it rather than download it.

7. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

hahahaha, this reminds me of the south park sketch

the record producer is suing chef or whatever

and he always says "i am above the law" - sound familiar ? :p

8. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

I just listen to the shoutcast radio using winamp ... Cant be bothered to download/buy utter rubbish.

9. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

Well, i think the piracy of music is actually being favourable to the bands:

Most bands dont make much money from their CD's and a vast amount of their wealth comes from playing live gigs. People listen to their music, if they're good.. you go see them live and enjoy yourself, if they are absolutely terrible, well then they don't deserve my money.

I personally don't pirate, however, i know plenty who do and there philophosy is "Try before you buy".

10. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Umm... do they actually think that they will make people buy their music by taking all their money? And anyway, how do they know that you are filesharing if they aren't doing it themselves or snooping on your private comm lines?

-ed out

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Intersting to see if the ISP's did approach those file sharing types, would people jump ship to another provider. Its a masively over populated market all it would take is one to promise not to do this and i think a lot of people would move to them.

12. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I doubt the ISP will be concerned unless they lose money.

Now that they all have various limited and unlimited options as well as fair usage policies in place, I doubt they really mind how much bandwidth u use as you'll only be able to use the amount within constraints set by them that you've chosen to pay for.

13. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

why do they keep persecuting us poor users of the internet ?
    They should not try to stop the symptoms, but cure the cause !

14. Boon

Boon What's a Dremel?

Am I the only one who sees this as preferable to being fined or going to court? If you are operating in this way you are playing a dangerous game and breaking the ISPS T&Cs at the same time. I don't want to see people fined thousands as has happened in the past (UK included) so surely cancellation of their ISP account would be a wake up call perhaps rather than something that could ruin lives.

15. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

IMHO, any ISP engaging in these practices would lose many customers. I, for example, would drop BT if I found out that they did such a thing, on a matter of principle.

-ed out

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Good for the BPI. It's about time pirates stopped hiding behind ISP's. With ISP's on board piracy can be stamped out much more easily. The BPI provide the IP's, the ISP's just simply switch of those users. The users are afterall, breaking any number of laws and contracts they've agreed to to use the ISP's lines(and generally the P2P software they use to rip of the pennyless artists).

The sooner the BPI are doing this to thousands of users and not just tens the better, for music, for the arists, for the industry, and ultimately for the paying consumer.

17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Spec just say for example every single item of music was legally purchased, would it be of any better quality than the tat thats being rammed down our throats, would it be any cheaper and most importatly would the artist actually get a fair pay from it. I personaly doubt it. So how will it be better for the paying consumer? I personaly don't download any music, i'm a bit of an audiophile so mp3 quality bugs me, but by the same token i haven't bought any thing in the last year and from listening to the radio i aint missed any thing.

18. Boon

Boon What's a Dremel?

Interesting development http://www.boingboing.net/2006/07/11/uk_isp_to_british_re.html.

I'd like to retract my previous post; the original article didn't specify that the BPI was looking for the personal details of the individual IPs involved. Suspending accounts is one thing but ISPs should not reveal customer details to a non-governmental organisation simply on request.

19. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

hahahaha
    BPI got pwned by an ISP, +1 to tiscali :D

Tags: Add Tags