Networks Network Connection Issues...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by livelife46290, 26 Jul 2006.

1. livelife46290

livelife46290 What's a Dremel?

So heres the story, at my work, my boss has two offices and he wanted to network them together....so I did, the first cable I ran, i thought was a bust, so i went and got better cable and it still isnt working...the router says that its not plugged in at all...the computer doesnt recognize it, and i plugged in a switch at the far end away from the router and it keeps connectiong then disconnecting...whats the deal? The run is a bit less than 100 feet of cable so I know its not the length, what else could it be?

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Can you describe the setup on both ends please?

3. livelife46290

Lets see, on one end there is a linksys router with a home built computer and a cable internet modem connected to it....then there is also a 15foot run to another computer on the other side of the wall, then there is a 100 ft run to a computer in the way back of the bulding. On that end, there is just another home built computer. When i plug the cable into the computer it doesnt recognize it, but when i plug it into a switch then into the computer it does...but, heres the catch, the switch keeps connecting then disconnecting from the router...like the lights just literally blink on and off.....

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

So like this?
    Code:
    Modem ----- Router 
                    |------ PC
                    |--15'---PC
                    |-----------------------100'-------------------------------- PC

Modem ----- Router 
                    |------ PC
                    |--15'---PC
                    |-----------------------100'-------------------------------- Switch ---- PC
    It could be, that the long wire is of medicore quality, and there's a lot of signal loss... The switch might bump the signal strenght, but not enough to get a stable connection. I would recommend a signal test through the long cable.

5. livelife46290

Well then whats the best way to do a signal test because I dont have the money to go out and buy a tester at this point in time...

6. livelife46290

Well the lights on the switch, magically stopped blinking and are now steady, but the computer at the far end cant get an IP address, I assigned it an Ip address and everything, but still no dice....no connection...

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I know, decent cable testers cost a lot... Maybe your local PC shop could lend you one? IIRC there was a guide on metku about building a rudiment cable tester... I'll try to fish it up for you.

Can you assign the PC a static IP and check if you can reach the router (ping it)? I still think there's a lot of signal loss between the long connection. Maybe you could try to redo the plugs on both ends? (Given you have the tools again)

EDIT: It wasn't Metku... here, here and here you can find some... The last one being the easiest...

8. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Have you tried a different port in the router?

9. livelife46290

Life is all good now, thanks for all of your guys's help, it was just one dumb mistake that I made...I compared the plug ends and well, they were wrong...so i redid them both to standard and thats all it was....they were just out of standard so it was loosing signal quality through its run, thanks for all your help guys, i really appreciate it, alot...Sincerely, Colin

10. CaseyBlackburn

I didn't say to check the wires, darn, but glad it is working, that's a common mistake on cabling, false wiring.

11. Glider

Glider /dev/null

/me rocks;)

12. CaseyBlackburn

Just this once, I WILL DOMINATE :p

Tags: