News Nintendo, Microsoft sued over controller patents

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 4 Aug 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Surely this won't last long in court, as it's perfectly obvious that they didn't invent these things, hence the patents shouldn't stand. Might just see Microsoft pay out of court again though, dunno about Ninty as they havn't got the same amount of cash to throw away.

3. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

hummm.this is why patent law in the the US need to be rewriten these cases are bull ****.

4. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

*runs to patent the design of the push button* then i can sue every electronics company EVER!

it seems rather silly, i could understand if they invented the stuff in question such as the company that made the rumble pack tech that sony and ms ripped off. but uhm this stuff seems rather silly.

5. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

im going to patent click sound ...... really us patent office needs a revision

6. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

didnt ms try and patent double clicking?:p

7. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

i was wondering if i could patent the wheel.... now that would make for a quick courtcase.... the world vs me!!!

8. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

They obviously didnt invent these things, these ideas have been around for a very long time even before the sony dual shock controller.

I wonder why they didnt take on sony aswell while they were at it?

Its probably a bad idea taking on rich companies like microsoft and nintendo with such a pointless case. Do they just want to bankrupt themselves?

9. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

why didnt they take them to court for the original Xbox controller as well as the 360 one.

can i patent the mouse? the letter "n" on a keyboard as well :p

10. CAL3H

CAL3H What's a Dremel?

these cases should just be thrown out - absolutely bloody ridiculous. They should be told, when it does go to court, you should have raised this when sony first brought out a controller that supported these features or whoever at the time had their console with these features being 'new' rather than stall it.

Has anyone sued the car manufacturers in the US for having four wheels and seats yet?

what a bunch of losers (Anascape that is).

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

So basicly they've patended about 50% of the functions of a controller. Bloody patents. Patents should just be disallowed on anything tech related, give the companies copyrights or whatever for the stuff, but just remove to god-damn patents, and hang any company who's sole purpose in life is to gather patents and sue people who try to use anything related to them. God I hate IP.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Anascape will lose all their money, i am sure of this.

i am not running to the patent office to patent air, i will sue anyone that uses it.

13. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Yeah. In a way, a patent is really just a hinderance in progress. While it works to protect a start-up inventor, it really doesn't allow people to take a great idea, and add to it. I think patents should be gone, or maybe reformed so that once you make an "x" amount of money from one, it should be released into public.

With the constant patent and copyright infringements now, how is that any different from an intellectual, and ultimately, a business monopoly?

Even hardcore "work the women and children for 18 hour" capitalists believed in competition, and government intervention in monopolies.

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yeah, but the people who are working the system, and the people at the top, they're not for competition. They want nothing more then to maintain their monopoly, and patents are the perfect mechanism to aid this. Where as 5, 10 or 15 years used be enough time for an inventor to reap some rewards and set himself up for life if something was popular enough, these days a group like microsoft can patent the double click and in theory threaten just about every program in existance for the next 20 or 30 years. Even just 5 years is a huge ammount of time in CompuTech, and for "patents" to be granted on simple developments does nothing more then hurt innovation.

But then again, I hate the very idea of "Intellectual" property, and would like nothing more then it and it's advocates downfall, so I'm hardly impartial. I am in the right though :p

15. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

but imagine how much money you would make if you succeeded :p

this seems stupid though, the amount of time this technology has been around, surely that would nullify their claims ....

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Wow this is a bit rediculous. If this stands up it'll be pretty shameful

17. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

So basically they have patents for vauge and generic controller sensor technology? These patents make me sick. I hope MS and Nintendo buries them 6 feet closer to hell.

You should not be able to sue anyone for anything unless you have a real product with production tech inside of it, not just a bunch of totally vauge patents and a subpoena.

18. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

I agree that patents on insignificant things like this do hinder progress to some extent but they are fair to all companies big and small. If MS invent something why should they not be allowed to own the rights to it whereas if Joe Bloggs invents it then it's completely right that they can protect the design? If we didn't have patents then there would be little incentive for a SME to innovate as anything remotely innovative would immediately be ripped off by a larger competitor which should be able to compete better through taking advantage of brand loyalty, market share and economies of scale.

19. MortarHeadd

MortarHeadd What's a Dremel?

Even if this pans out and ms and co. lose, why now? Why wait until the market is saturated with the technology? If I was trying to defend my intellectual property I would do it right away.

20. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Are you seriously trying to find something besides lust for money and revenge in this case?

Tags: Add Tags