News Bye bye ATI?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 7 Aug 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

Intel buy Nvidia and then there is a truly epic hardware war, the kind we shall tell our children about :)

2. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

After reading this, all I could think about is the old Voodoo GPU's...
    :waah:

3. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

The owner of Nvidia already said that he would never sell the company. He did hint at making CPU/GPU combo units in the future... (much like AMD said they plan on doing) maybe... Dont ask me were I read that.
    :confused:

4. Preti9cboi

Preti9cboi What's a Dremel?

It's a bad idea. It doesnt matter if the CEO has an attachment to the ATI namebrand. It only matters that the consumer has an attachment. The general public still believes AMD is inferior to intel. If the AMD namebrand is slapped on a video card then, well you get the idea.

If this happens then i fear this is the end of ATI graphics cards.

Here's a real word example.

Lets pretend you are a normal working class consumer who knows nothing about computers. You go to dell and you purchase an Intel based PC. Now as an option you have a choice between an AMD x1900xtx or a Nvidia 7800gt. Which do you believeyou would choose? Remember now, you just purchased an Intel based CPU.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2006
  5. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

This is going to cause alot of confusion. Whats gonna happen to my current ATI graphics card??? I still havent downloaded the new drivers! where am i gonna go to get them this is so confusing!1!

lol and if Intel buys Nvidia that will truely make a hardware war for the AGES! Definetly something to tell our children once the dust has settled....
    World War Three....(blue and green robots running around killing eachother? Intel PCs destroying their AMD graphics cards...)

Last edited: 8 Aug 2006
  6. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

As long as AMD dont make the gfx chips like intel makes gfx chips it wont be too bad. Even though I prefer nvidia I dont want to see ATI turn into crap like intel gfx.

7. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

i can't see this going well for ATI. AMD hasn't ever embraced the graphics market, it makes chips and does what it can to take market share away from Intel. i get the impression that AMD is more interested in the volume aspects of ATI... manufacturing chipsets and the low end GPU market, where most of the profit lies. not so much in the trendy, difficult and savvy leading edge 3d market. which might be great for profit margins but not so interesting for us.

8. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Nice. I hope the naming Scheme goes next.. anything that puts 3 X's in a name don't deserve a name.

9. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I never liked ATI, their cards always died before their time and my nvidia cards have always lasted the distance. I use to be an AMD,Nvidia bloke. Hopefully AMD will improve the quality of ATI's cards and then I can have a nice AMD machine :)

10. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

This move further proves that AMD has a trick up its sleeve, and they don't intend on concealing it. Intel pushed hard with their new architecture and pricing scheme, and I can almost guarantee that AMD plans to use its newly acquired GPU powerhouse to push performance beyond our now standard means of PCI-E and AGP setups.

The question brewing in my head is "What are Intel and nVidia thinking about?"

I can see Intel pulling ahead in this fight if they step away from their previous ways of just selling the same architecture at higher clock speeds, and not being scared of implementing new ideas and functioning out side the box.

nVidia on the other hand, I'm really worried for them but I don't see them going out anytime soon, they simply have their hands in almost every cookie-jar imagineable except the CPU market.

11. CAL3H

CAL3H What's a Dremel?

Brace yourself then mate - wont be long before we have AMD and Intel making both CPU and GPU bundles. Oh and there will be nVidia making GPUs :worried: very strange market lookout - can't imagine component shopping for my next pc next year.

12. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

I loved the ATi logo, very simple, yet stylish. THEY did not change it recently, contrary to nvidia or AMD...
    It looks very "web 2.0" !! (man i hate this term)

13. Wolfman_UK

Wolfman_UK What's a Dremel?

With the way that AMD has designed is architecture and with this brand name takeover I see that there is a possibility for AMD to produce GPUs like they do CPUs. So you can plug in a number of GPUs into a motherboard along with a number of CPUs. All using the same socket. Which means the AMD name on a GPU makes sense.

Of course I could be talking complete tosh! Hehe! :)

-wolfman

14. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Aw crap. I hope AMD will continue to update the drivers for current generation ATI cards...

15. findme

findme What's a Dremel?

ati is not going anywhere. they just basically merged with amd. its not like they are going to stop making gpu's... unless of course they do then they will go bye bye. but into then ill be chilling with my ati all in wonder x1900 for all my needs.

yawns ati's website doesnt go to amd's site so ati has not be taken over.

16. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

17. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I don't know what people are stressing about. The graphics card companies were going in the wrong direction anyway. AMD are bound to follow Intel in the CPU market, making more efficient, low power, faster CPU's, and hopefully they will do the same with GPU's. I'm sure everyone would want that! Take the Nvidia 7950GX2, it's just a completely rediculous graphics card, as is all the top end graphics cards because they need dual slot coolers.

Hopefully we will see some awesome graphics cards from AMD in the future, with phenominal performace, but low power and cool at the same time. This is exactly what the graphics industry needed in my opinion.

18. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

This seems a bit strange. Total takeover.....not a bad move. I doubt AMD will start making integrted chips. At least I hope they don't. Another thing would be that I don't think they'll kill the Radeon name. Maybe ATi will fly but i doubt Radeon will.

AMD Radeon....not that bad. I'm not at all disapointed about the loss of ATi brandname, allthough it will remain engreaved in my mind for a certain period of time. The effect of this takeover is bound to make confusion among the ATi GPU holders, and even for those that have ATi based mobos.

It will be interesting to see what will come up next...will the next gen GPU's be named AMD Radeon.....or will only AMD......we wait and see.

19. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

That may have been true 5 years ago.

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this is kind of strange.... i will wait until AMD makes their next move, they have something up their sleave.

i hope Intel makes new more powerfull DX10 graphics cards this next year or else they are toast.

edit: this might also be a move to get into the laptop market, most laptops i know have a ATI graphics card, now most of them have a AMD graphics card.

Tags: Add Tags