Top 10 most bizarre gaming plotlines

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 7 Aug 2006.

1. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

The_Pope, perhaps you are right. Though I suspect it's not the FPS games that killed the adventure game genre - though the introduction of FPS games did hurt a lot of genres (adventure, strategy, arcade style, ...). I think it was good RPG games that killed adventure games. After all, what is an RPG but a grand adventure game? Knights of the Old Republic was technically an RPG but to me it resembled the adventure games of old quite a bit. So perhaps RPGs replaced adventure games.

Wow, I never realised what a Lucasarts fan I am (though I was disapointed with the last 3 SW movies). I wish they would make more games (though it was Boiware that made KOTR).

OK, back on topic:

Perhaps it was the very craziness of these creators that made some of these games real fun.

"Earthworm Jim,
    The soil he did crawl
    Earthworm Jim,
    A super suit did fall."

Aren't games a little bit about escapism anyway?

2. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

I like that game! It was so insane yet made perfect sense :D

3. g-freak

g-freak What's a Dremel?

I can't believe i forgot about that game!
    I loved it even though it was so annoying at times.
    The music and sound effects still haunt me to this day. especally that one scream sound......

ahh nostalga.

I'm off to go find an emulator now.

4. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

I really love how everyone is able to add another game to the list, just shows how truly bonkers gaming really is. Love reading everyones views on the most bizarre storylines keep them coming

5. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Loving the article, as you said games (and the Japanese) are just so bonkers that the list is virtually endless...

A big warm welcome to Ryan btw :D

6. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

speak for yourself :eyebrow:

7. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

didnt you kinda ruin the surprise of #1 by having it as the picture for the article and then having it in the first few words of the article description? or was it not supposed to be a surprise, because when i was flippin through the article i was like, i cant wait to see how weird number 1 is! cool article none the less

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Hah, I must agree with FFIX. Only FF game that's ever dissapointed me, tbh (though I was a fan of the job system). Plenty of other oddballs on there for sure.

9. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

What about Leisure Suit Larry or maybe 'Day of the tentacle' ? :p

10. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

11. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

The job system was first introduced in Final Fantasy V. I think it worked much better back then because you could turn your characters into whatever you preferred. Which you could also do in Final Fantasy VI but only after you leveled them upto lvl99.
    If you haven't played FFV and want to PM me.

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

FFV was great. Hardest final boss ever. :D

13. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

Erm, Shenmue has been in development since the Saturn days (as I'm sure you'd realise, as you've finished Shenmue 2, thus unlocking the bonus video of Shenmue running on the Saturn), and it's always had at least 16 chapters to the storyline. Shenmue 1 covers chapter 1, while Shenmue 2 covers chapters 2-4. Maybe that explains the plot holes you found?

Nezuji :)

14. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Torment is the best storyline ever!

I think you guys never played "Planescape: Torment":

"You awake in the Mortuary. Your body is scarred and a damn novel is written on your back. You don't remember anything. The only "alive" person you see is the chatty skull called Morte (not counting those shuffling zombies, you're smart enough to know they are dead.) Now it's time to go and find out what the hell is going on"

So the game begins...

The protagonist, the "Nameless One" commited a crime so wicked that a lifetime of good deeds wouldn't save him from damnation. So he sought a night hag wich casts on him a spell that he couldn't die anymore. When he is beaten to death, he awakes later fully healed, but with his memories lost. Not only this, but he awakes with diferent personalities.

The overall goal of the game is to recover The Nameless One's mortality. His mortality must be recovered because with each "death," another person dies in his place, contributing to the vast crimes of the first incarnation. This is achieved by following clues and hints that the previous incarnations had left him.

At some point of your adventure, you find that the beautiful spirit that follows you through the game was a girlfriend of your wich you convinced to comite suicide to help you out in your journey. You find that you seduced her just to convince her to kill herself... Very wicked!

As you get near to the end you encounter some of your past incarnations and begin to chat with them. At this point you need to convince all of then to merge with you.

The goal of the game is to DIE! As oposed to every other game.

Planescape: Torment is notable for the quantity (and quality) of textual dialogue it contains. An estimate by the creators of the game places it at almost 1 million words. This is comparable to one volume of the Encyclopædia Britannica. A review in the New York Times noted that, "The game's level of detail and its emotional impact have prompted some players to cast about for literary peers."

There's a link to the novelization of the game:
    Planescape: Torment Novelization

With that being said there are some other with intriguing storyline too:
    Condemned: Criminal Origins
    Manhunt

15. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Yemerich. I'd say welcome to the forums since your post count is at one, But the join date is almost 2 years ago. :confused: Lurk much? Ah, a big welcome anyway, and while I can say I've heard of Planescape I've never played it. You are right, that is a bizare plotline. Good post :thumb: & welcome in from the shadows.

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

DoTT... what a game! /reminiscing

captain_slug - yeah, I knew FFIX wasn't the first with the job system. Thought the quasi-job system in FFX-2 was great actually, even if the storyline was abysmal (if I don't consider it as part of the FF series, it's hella fun, just laughably cheesy). Never did play through FFV or VI, though I have them around somewhere I think. I own every one but III and IV, though I think the numbering system got mangled coming over from Japan so I might actually have them in some form (Origins is 1 and 2, Anthology is 5 and 6, then 7,8,9,10,10-2, and I don't count XI since it's an MMO).
    Anyways..... ....

17. Marsellus Wallace

Marsellus Wallace What's a Dremel?

what about Earthworm Jim :hehe:

18. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

Nezuji I feel that when a game ends it should tie up a general theme, unless there is definitely another game coming out. I know they thought there would be another Shenmue afterwards but there never was, as such the ending just hit you - boom - and left me spinning.

19. Yemerich

Thanks Tyinsar!
    As a matter of fact, I created an account to send some MP's to will harris and g-gnome back in 2004. But before this I was a huge fan of the casemodding work here in Bit-Tech. I've a list of 7 mods now... perhaps i'll post the one that i'm working on here...

When I have the time... and skills... and the right tools... and the money... I'll make a "Planescape: Torment" mod.

Thanks again for the kind welcome message

20. Yemerich

Hey I forgot one of the most bizarre of all times:

"Out of this World". Begining from the name, the Karateca/Prince of Persia like game had one of the most involving atmosfere!
    An it's sucessors too Fade to black and another one wich I can't remember its name

Tags: Add Tags