1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding USB Serial ATA Controller / Connector Mod *another update*

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Warrior_Rocker, 29 Sep 2006.

1. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

View the updated project log on my personal site, XodusTech.com

So in my shuttle (sb61g2v4) silver xpc, I only have 2 serial ATA ports, granted they are only SATA-I it is still sata, not the speed that is important to me as the sata itself. Well I originally had 2x250gb drives in the machine each on SATA, so there are the two ports.

I recently added a 500gb SATA-II drive, now that leaves a problem. 3 drives 2 ports. so i purchased at the same time a small external sata sata usb controller. Problem is A) it was external, when I wanted the drive internal. B) It had an ugly usb wire on it c) It also had a soldered on sata cable.

This would not do, So it was time to open it up and do something about it. A few weeks ago I replaced the usb cable it had with one that would plug into my shuttle's motherboard (it has several headers for various other devices shuttle could have one day made or included inside, one of those being the shuttle wifi adapter)

This worked okay. But I was still not pleased with the short and ugly sata cable soldered onto the board, so I also desoldered that and soldered on a real sata plug. I had desoldered a few from a fried motherboard not long ago. I did this because I want to route the controller out of the way, with a real cable that can be removed, replaced and the likes.

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Some shots of the cable that was soldered on the board

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Lining up the new connector, and then the desoldered sata cable

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Using my mini hand drill to drill through the solder contacts for the sata.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I had to extend the contacts to reach my connector, as I would be mounting it at the edge of the pcb, So I used some single core wire (single core because thats what the sata wire used, and its the easiest to move and bend and make it stay that way)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Just some glory shots of my new connector, I glued it down with some super glue, it should hold there for quite some time.

[​IMG]
    Just one last shot of the back, and my superb soldering.

I was kind of scared to be messing with sata, but like benheck said: "I was worried when I read SATA doesn't use TTL, but apparently it doesn't exactly use magic either, so it's still hackable"

So what is next? Perhaps Ill extend off the activity led and interface it with the one on the front of my shuttle, just for fun. Also cover up those exposed sata wires, perhaps something that will block any emi, and work on the usb line a little, I want the actual usb removeable from the board, not soldered on like the sata was.

Last edited: 27 May 2012
  2. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

looking good dude, :rock: , good job with the solid core... Ive gotta get me one of those mini drills, its a wonder they work though... did you do any speed test on before after? not that i think it makes much of a difference... :dremel:

3. Swampytoadstool

Swampytoadstool What's a Dremel?

noice soldering sir

i propose that you buy a camera, so your phone can stop doing too many things for you. :p

aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway. yeah you should do the activity light. and the usb connector. and then some other things that i'll let you think of on your own.

4. Warrior_Rocker

So, I have decided to move on with this mod, as I kind of would like to access the data on my other drive. necessity truely is the mother of invention. What I went ahead and did was solder on a new usb header, As I love things to be modular, plus it makes it way easier to work with down the road.

So first I had to remove the old usb cable I had soldered on there

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Using my mini drill I drilled out the solder holes for the usb.

This is where I ran into a small snag. Recall that most usb is wired (Red, White, Green, Black), this controller was wired for (Red, Green, White, Black) PROBLEM!, as I like to use and abide by the wiring standards, also I can easily plug in other things there that use the same wiring pattern. So I had to use the same technique with the sata to extend the wires off the board so I could solder the connector flat, while running the wire I crossed the two lines.

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Shots of the wires I soldered to the board, and the connector i intend to use

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Connector all soldered and plugged in

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Glory shots of it plugged in and working like a charm

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The board plugged into my shuttle's motherboard and online

[​IMG]
    One last shot showing the board all glued up.

Comments / questions / suggestions / input ? glad to hear it!

Last edited: 26 May 2012
  5. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

argh as i said before you're soldering skills have surpassed mine, and thats no cool :sigh: Looks good though, how well does drilling the hole work though, is there copper pads on the bottom how does it hold solder :worried:

6. Warrior_Rocker

In answer to your question the holes were already in the pcb from where the old sata cable and the old usb cable were soldered. the reason I used the mini drill is to make it easier to solder my own wires on there. Reason for this is, it saves time by not having to use a desolder tool or burn your pcb with your iron, also it creates real clean holes. Good for if you are soldering things on with more than 1 pin. :dremel:

7. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

I like your mods Warrior Rocker! You come here to show off your soldering skills dont you!? Good stuff...

8. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

another excellent mod Warrior :)

9. Warrior_Rocker

Much as I love to toot my own horn I mod purely for fun of it, but I take pictures along the way to show others that it is possible to do. I also try to provide as much info as possible, if anyone else wanted to do something similar they would know what they were getting themselves into. My soldering skills have greatly improved over the last year, I am finally at a point where I can do those complex solder jobs I always wanted to.

Thanks much! Though not quite complete, I still have not decided what to do about the activity led for the usb sata drive. I thought about wiring it into my shuttle's disk activity led. But I am greatly open to suggestions?

I wish my camera was better, If one day I do get a new one I will update some of my Mods with new better images, Until then the best I can do is use my razr

10. Techx

Techx What's a Dremel?

nice mod, bad pics lol.. ;)

11. Warrior_Rocker

So I decided to move on with the header to break out the LED signals. I decided to use a standard fan connector for this, for 1 of 2 reasons, a) I have like a thousand fan connectors, b) the plug will only go on one way, this makes sure that the activity and power sides dont get reversed :thumb:

Originally I was going to put the led header on the side of the pcb with the usb header. I eventually gave up (after destroying a fan header) and decided to put it on the same side as the sata header. Originally I was going to use parallel port wire to relocate it, but since right next to the sata header was the led solder points, I just used some single core cat5 and did the same thing as I had done for the usb and sata port soldering job.

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sata board and the fan header I planned on using

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Desoldering the Power/Activity LED, and the original connector relocation

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Original Idea, vs what actually took shape on the board, soldered connector flat just because I hate things that stick out and make the shape oblong and wierd.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Pictures of the cable that I will use to connect to the led header. Also I decided to twist the wire together, it was kind of squirrely?, Amazing what a dremel can do, cut, sand, and more importantly twist wire!

Would love to hear any input!, questions / comments?

Last edited: 26 May 2012